The Film Thread

Watched the Portable Door. An enjoyable film

One Night in Miami has been on my watchlist for ages and finally got around to watching it last night. It is not necessarily one I’ recommend, but it is so good.

Not much seems to happen, so it might bore a lot of people, and I suspect it might lose something if you’re not familiar with who the 4 men are, and many non-Americans might not be familiar with the importance of Jim Brown. But it’s very powerful.

No Time To Die came up on a movie channel yesterday I didn’t know I got. Watched it with the Mrs.

I forgot that I teared up the last time I watched it. did it again yesterday. Such a good movie.

3 Likes

Jane Seymour - Bond Girl from Live + Let Die - 50yrs Ago…!
She seems to be aging backwards :0) - 72yrs young now

2 Likes

Remember her from ‘Dr Quinn’ then she appeared in one episode of How I met your mother.

1 Like

Finally managed to watch Nope last night and it was a bit of a diaappointment really.

The general storyline was an interersting concept, but a lot of the film was very boring and most of the characters annoying, and generally a waste of talent as it’s a decent line-up.

I didn’t hate it, I just don’t think I’ll ever watch it again as it was very much a nothing film.

His films always have a ton going on under the surface. That lends them to being loved by critics who want to endlessly debate the themes and how they were explored, without it necessarily producing a film that is that entertaining. That was what I felt with this film. I appreciated it and what it was trying to say, I just wasnt particularly entertained by it.

Zaslov appears creatively bankrupt. He is desperate for revenue and finds his 3 biggest franchises either floundering (DC) or having exhausted all the well developed source content 10 years ago (Potter and LotR).

He has recently announced a TV remake of the potter books, which no one was calling for. What film maker looks at a completed book series and says “we already have 20 hours of film adaptation of this material, lets do it again but longer?” He is just scratching for ways to squeeze these franchises for more content without having any creative reason for pursuing them. That never bodes well and doesnt make me encouraged for this film or the new trilogy supposedly coming after it. It wouldnt even surprise me if they just do a whole cloth remake of book rather than exploring new material

2 Likes

September 1 - 2023

1 Like

I liked the first one although it wasnt a good movie. The second one i didnt enjoy at all. I’ll probably watch this one.

1 Like

Ha, almost fooled me there

I don’t know how but I only just learned that Val Verde is the fictional country/city used in not just Commando, but Predator and Die Hard 2 as well.

Why didn’t we get a crossover movie, that would have been awesome!

Not a fan of Wes Anderson’s work, but I would love to see this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/132yd2q/if_wes_anderson_remade_star_wars/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=3&utm_content=share_button

1 Like

Been through so many films off late with Jnr. I’m now perfectly happy with most sweary content.

Sad to say we 3 watched Blues Brothers on Friday. They both HATED it. So sad as I giggled all the way through. Carrie Fisher and chicken wire, what’s not to like?

1 Like

What didn’t they like? Is this one where the cultural references have aged?

It was the funniest film I’d ever seen aged 12.

1 Like

Couple of articles which, while I’m not as heavy in my views as the authors are, go some way to summing upy own thoughts about current Star Wars and why the Filoni movie is the one I’m least interested in despite Mando season 1 being really really good.

https://www.thegamer.com/star-wars-mandoverse-dave-filoni/

https://www.thegamer.com/dave-filoni-mandoverse-star-wars-boba-fett-mandalorian-hell/

6 Likes