The Film Thread

Is that out already?

Not until Nov

2 Likes

American dates. I thought it was German format because of the dots.

Ooh Christopher Walken!

For some reason these are playing out like the LOTR trilogy did for me, I never see any news in my feeds about casting or trailers or anything really, just turn up at the cinema and enjoy.

That’s NOT March 11 :exploding_head:

1 Like

I swear I felt like having sand in my underwear after the first part :grimacing:

Watched 2 good films today. ‘Nobody’ - excellent cast and soundtrack, with some good laugh out loud bits, really good fun.

Second movie was ‘Hunger’, a thai movie about a chef which I again enjoyed.

1 Like

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3 earlier in the week, the best MCU offering for quite some time. Hilarious at points, utterly heartbreaking at others. Filled with brilliant action sequences. James Gunn managed to find an excellent balance and give the entire ensemble a perfect send off.

1 Like

@deneb Was it you who referenced Renfield? I dont normally get interested in coming movies, but this one has interested me, both in terms of what they’re trying to do and what it might mean for the entire studio if it works. Its now available on VoD here, but still expensive and Im trying to figure out if its worth it or whether I should wait until couple of months until it gets cheaper

I thought it was excellent, but my taste seems to be at odds with most people on here much of the time so I’m generally hesitant to make recommendations.

I definitely think it’s worth a watch, it’s not a ‘must see’, though how many films are these days?

Currently my number 1 film of the year, but I don’t expect it to be there by the end (cough Dune 2 cough).

1 Like

Definitely, I thought it was the usual humour but yet it was heart wrenching seeing the flashbacks of what happened to Rocket and his friends.

My partner’s parents are here for mother’s day weekend and we watched 2 films with them. Trying to find something that suits all our tastes always ends up with us finding the most milquetoast nonsense you can imagine. We tried:

We’ve got a ghost on netflix. Absolutely fucking nonsense. It is the epitome of the turn Netflix has taken in recent years with thier churn of bad self-made content.

A man called Otto - A tom hanks remake of a well regarded Swedish film about an old curmudgeon who “heartwarmingly” learns to reconnect with society due to some new neighbors who slowly break him down. I get that big names like Hanks take on projects that interest them but the whole thing just felt like a cynical exercise for Hanks to make people go “oh, look at Hanks being grumpy. What powerful acting.”

Pleasantly surprised by D&D: Honour Among Thieves. Normally I would be put off by the Marvel style quips but I think D&D did it far better.

I’ve heard nothing but good things from it, even from people who arent ostensibly the target audience. I heard it described as the stylistic successor to the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

2 Likes

Apologies for dragging this back from 50 posts back but I can’t let it go. It still bugs me how badly written the latest trilogy was.
The first was Star Wars in a dress with bigger booms
Fuck knows what the second was
The third was left to clear up the mess.

That’s before you get to whether they tried to make more “culturally balanced” or whatever you want to call it.

Shit, why am I still angry about it?

frozen let it go GIF by Walt Disney Animation Studios

1 Like

once you stop taking it so seriously, it’s quite enjoyable.

I have this raging battle between a nostalgia high Vs the lows of Finn an Rey being Finn and Rey. Just as one inches ahead I get dragged back by the other.

But I still want a working light saber. I’m planning demolition works in the day job, oh to turn up with that on a cold winter’s morning. H&S dept might have words though.

I also have other jobs for it.

well all want a working light saber. I’d even settle for Ivan Vanko’s bullwhips

2 Likes

I find it really interesting that my brother’s kids like the prequel trilogy, but they got to see the 6 of them together rather than waiting 20 years like we did. So I am willing to concede my negative take on them is overly crticial.

Not the new ones though. They’re proper shit. A textbook example of the guff that gets made when a studio overly studios their IP rather than letting creatives make coherent films out of them. It was brand malpractice from Kennedy to go into the first one without having coherent arc in mind for the whole trilogy of films, which is why the first one was such a waste of time - there was no real midpoint destination in the arc they needed the story to get to, so they just did a pale retelling of New Hope. But worst of all was that when she saw the negative fan reaction she responded not by trying to get a coherent story together, but by forcing the film to “protect” the valuable IP by playing all the old hits again in way that somehow made it all worse.

It also reinforced my perception that JJ Abrams is not a good film maker. He makes pretty shots and combines them into one film, but they are empty pointless stories.

2 Likes

yeah that’s pretty much nailed it. The first 3 had some oddities that made you wince a bit but the one thing they had which the last 3 didn’t was a story that meshed with 4, 5 and 6. With 1, 2 and 3 I need to remind myself that I’m far older than when Star Wars first arrived and blew my head off. Maybe it’s not fair I judge them on what I 1, 2 an 3 to be today? But together, those 6 films come together to tell a story and quite some story it is. The last 3 did naff all apart from have some nice flashy sabres and floating rocks, even if I apply current age philosophy of judging them. They’re just shit.