The Film Thread

Out in October… Getting some good reviews

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m excited about this one. Scorsese, Leo, Di Niro and Eric Roth is a must watch for me, but Im also fascinated with this late Western period in which the modernity started wiping out the old west.

It’s also an interesting case study in the way the industry has changed and why some companies are struggling. This is a Paramount film and yet its ended up with a contract to be streamed on Apple rather than its own (failing) service. There is lots of industry chatter that Paramount the company’s only shot is to sell off its other assets and become a content creator/distributor only, like Sony, or get swallowed up entirely.

Wonder what they will think when they look back at their wedding album in 30yrs :0)

Reviews are coming out now on the new Indiana Jones film and its not looking good :see_no_evil:

Just read this…

Yeah, even the shills only giving it 3 stars. “Boring” could be heard being said at the screening apparently. “Not as bad as the kingdom of the crystal skull but not much better” great insult.

1 Like

watched Sisu last night,

so bad that i couldnt stop watching it

if you like lots of blood, violence and a few as if that would realy happen moments

its the film for you!

Relaxed Mad Men GIF

1 Like

Story, plot, interpretation and effects are all irrelevant. Just about the cast. Watched the original last night, one of my absolute favourite films. Can’t wait to not watch this one.

Cue people posting “middle aged white man gets upset about a black actress” Posts like that miss the point like Harry Kane taking a penalty for England multiplied by Loris Karius’s ability to stop shots in a CL final.

Liked this, thanks :slight_smile:

You’ll never know what you are missing…

TBH, I’m not sure what the problem is with the casting of a mermaid. It doesn’t really matter what the race of the actress is as it is, ultimately, mainly a bloody fish.

I don’t think any of the remakes that have come out in recent years add anything to previous versions. The Disney remakes look like straight to video copies of what are classic, in fact often landmark, films. Even critically acclaimed ones like the recent West Side Story are merely well made copies of already timeless films.

In fact, I’m trying to think of a remake of a classic film that I thought was superior to an earlier one. Possibly there are films that could draw on better visual effects - The Thing and The Fly spring to mind although what the latter gained in gore it lost in psychological horror. The Spielberg version of War Of The Worlds worked by centring it around an everyman rather than the military.

But there are so many pointless remakes. If I see King Kong in the TV listings I’m always disappointed when it’s not the 1933 version.

2 Likes

How about “middle aged white man still watches Disney kids films”? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t knock it. Once you have kids you really appreciate decent family films. Once the kids get too old for that you’ll miss it!

4 Likes

Oh I have them - my three year old can only sit through Encanto, he gets bored of the others after about 20 minutes.

What IS the point?

1 Like

We’re here again. It’s set in the original book, it’s set in the original film. It OBVIOUISLY matters to the casting department and the subsequent fan baiting. If you believe she was cast on grounds of meritocracy, you haven’t been watching Disney for the past god knows how many years. What’s the key word from the article I posted? Brilliant? Glorious? Outstanding? Worthwhile? Genius? Revolutionary? No, diverse. Box ticked.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional. If you haven’t watched Toy Story 1-3 and The Princess and the Frog, more fool you.

Wasn’t actually that bad, quite good in places. Much better horses in the stable though.

It’s a commercial project. Of course it has boxes to tick. Lots of those boxes are based on recognition that Disney’s customers base is no longer almost exclusively white and that these new customers appreciate seeing people like them in prominent roles and respond positively (with their money) to it. When this is still unusual enough for it to be worthy of comment then of course the people who see themselves in the production are going to treat the diversity as a positive in itself and comment positively on it given they have spent so long being bombarded by messages that they are best side kicks. This is a meaningful thing for lots of people to get to experience.

The question is why would this bother anyone? Isnt it a good thing to understand the customer and reflect what they are looking for in your product? If you are someone who says representation doesn’t matter, then it surely doesnt matter that the actor isnt white. So you’re left with not very good reasons for objecting it. It is either getting upset about a harm that is really pretty abstract and pretty much imagined (its the wokeness, and that’s bad because of my feelings)? Or is it that simply not liking that white is no longer treated as the default? And that might not be textbook white supremacy, but it sure is a bed fellow.

And no, I’m not talking about cynical situations like the Anne Boelyen or more recent Cleopatra series.