The horse racing thread

This one will probably only be me! :joy:

Still, if anyone else wants to discuss horse racing, feel free to pop in!

Hey cynical. I’m glad there’s finally somewhere we can discuss horse racing. Interesting to see how pinatubo goes again at the mile in the Prix de Moulin de Longchamp. I’m hoping one of Andre Fabre’s runners will topple him.

1 Like

Yay! I’m not the only one who is interested in racing!

Do you think that Doyle gave Pinatubo too much to do?

Yeah I thought Doyle’s decision to sit back and let Circus Maximus and Persian King steal a break cost him the race in the end. Pinatubo’s closing sectionals were lightning quick so a group 1 at a mile could be well within his grasp very soon. I had a nice little collect on Persian King though so I’m not complaining :grinning:

Pyledriver should be favourite for this Saturday’s St Leger. Won impressively at both Royal Ascot and York and was not the only one to disappoint in the Derby in between. Switched off beautifully on the Knavesmire; don’t see why he shouldn’t stay the extra two furlongs.

If he’d been trained by Gosden, Stoute or AOB he’d be nearer evens.

1 Like

Agreed. He seems to always fly under the radar as he went off 10/1 at York and 18/1 when he won at Royal Ascot. I thought the way in which he won at York which was mightily impressive would be enough to see him clear favourite for this, yet the bookies have slightly overlooked him again.

Interesting to see if Ghaiyyath can maintain his winning run in the Irish Champion Stakes.

So sad to hear that the multiple classic winning jockey and nine-time Irish champion rider Pat Smullen has passed away from pancreatic cancer at only 43 years of age.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/racing-community-in-mourning-following-sad-passing-of-inspirational-pat-smullen/450783

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

2 Likes

@cynicaloldgit @JimBouki do you bet too??? What about dogs, I mean dog racing, do you follow it too?

Yes, I do bet.

No; dog racing is rubbish.

2 Likes

You are up early :blush:, good morning and have a nice day.

1 Like

Force of habit. Going back to bed now. :joy:

You have a good one too. :+1:

1 Like

Yes i do bet. Not on dog racing though. Don’t follow it either. All I know is the ones with ‘BALE’ in their name here in Aus were very quick. That’s about as far as my knowledge extends.

2 Likes

Horses or dogs???

Let’s take a detour. Have either of you watched the movie where an American takes his stallion across the ocean to race with arab horses? Forgot the name, will do a YouTube search.

I really don’t know much about dog racing at all. Horses only.
Is the movie you’re talking about called Hidalgo?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s Hildago :grinning:. Though I didn’t realize that there were so much drama/romance thrown into it :stuck_out_tongue: . Also the horse is an Appaloosa but I thought it was white.

2 Likes

Any tips for Cheltenham? So many classic races over the years. And winning a mint on Best Mate :slight_smile:

Kauto Star, Denman and Istabraq, happy times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I never give tips. People seem to think that any tip they are given is 100% guaranteed to win. :joy:

3 Likes

Tipperary woman the first woman to win the national.
What a race

4 Likes

Brilliant from horse, jockey and trainer. For Henry De Bromhead to train the first two in both the Grand National and the Cheltenham Gold Cup is some feat.

4 Likes