The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

This is one of the biggest clubs in Europe, picking your mates from your former club because Klopp or Alonso might be available but probably won’t in 2 years.

Half the team will probably agitate for a move. If you were doing this I’d talk to Lijinders. We need someone who knows how to work at this level and in Europe. Rodgers showed how problematic some of this is especially with Europe.

He’s a decent Bournemouth manager but he’s probably one lower than the Brighton manager.

Anyhow Dave is a bullshitter with an opinion and it’s mainly the opinion to make the club look shite, he did it throughout the summer.

4 Likes

This.

3 Likes

This thread…
Steve Mcgarrett Tani Rey GIF by CBS

2 Likes

I am deadset loving this.

Let the good times roll!

2 Likes

Sorry not had the best of mornings. I’ll wait for something more concrete being reported by 2-3.

Can’t wait for my holiday in Berlin :melting_face:

1 Like

Fair question, but Hughes and Edwards would have thoroughly researched him so if they think he is capable of making the step up, then I’m willing to back that judgement

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1782725703479316747

1 Like

I’m with you on this, it’s really starting to feel like last summer with the signings.
It was so much fun. :smiley:

1 Like

Any thoughts on this guy?

Inspired Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

1 Like

Amorim will make a LOT more money at Liverpool that Sporting. His people will look at Klopp’s salary and will know we can afford what he is asking for.

I would counter 6M basic, add 3M for finishing in CL spots, add another 3M for winning the Prem, something like that.

If it turns out he can’t transition to a bigger pond, I wouldn’t want to be stuck with owing him 30M.

But if he takes to it like a duck to water, there’s no reason why he couldn’t sign a new and improved deal.

2 Likes

O’Neil showed promise in the last few years, but yeah, that one feels very underwhelming.

Did well at Bournemouth, didn’t deserve the sack in my opinion. Did alright at Wolves and then they cut a lot of the first team squad in January. Which did not help get results since then.

Feels like the Alan Curbishley & Martin O’Neill times.

:joy:

Seeing some of the stuff now, I think there’s a good chance it could still be Amorim, and this is possibly down to negotiations between the two sides.

Is it wishful thinking? Perhaps. But it’s not exactly been ruled out. And we’ve been here before with Rodgers when he first rejected us, unless we made him the No.1 choice.

2 Likes

I’m sure FSG will unveil him in the traditional manner.

Voting Scooby Doo GIF by #GoVote

I still think it’s tracking towards Amorim too. Let’s see.

As for the sort of manager we go for, there is the experienced manager who has won stuff and seen it all before. They are thin on the ground, and the couple that might be available seem to have character issues.

So we are looking at an up and coming manager.

At that point, there is the sort who has won the league in their own country, and has done very well, and is now ready to step up to a bigger pond. It’s a risk, but all appointments carry risk, but you can see the working in going for this type, especially with the infrastructure in place at the club. Someone with a track record of winning, bringing a unit together, playing good football, now needing a higher challenge? Bring it on.

Then there is another type of up and comer - hadn’t won anything, but they have punched above their weight at a modest club and are now looking to step up.

For me, this last type should be a non-starter. Get a bigger club first, before Liverpool, and continue to prove yourself! We are not on the bones of our arses here, trading off our name. We are a giant, a justified giant, challenging for the Prem, and with a great pedigree in Europe. We have a fantastic squad to compete for the biggest prizes.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1782720230961164747

see i did say they wanted a coach more than a manager…so maybe im not as crazy

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1782699943251030437

Think he means that we might get a name with lower reputation than expected or hoped. I do still think we’re hiring a head coach rather than a manager. The whole “Klopp head coach with the power/necessity in the last year or two of having to be like a manager” brought us to Klopp leaving earlier in the first place. Putting a structure in place which involves Edwards and Hughes suggests that we want to go back to leaving the coach deal with coaching the team (first). Then, with time, we’ll see what happens.

3 Likes

394 posts since i last read this thread.
You do all know Alonso is coming right?

2 Likes

Only if you mean Diego Alonso.

:joy: