The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

No experienced manager will agree to just be the coach without having some say. This will always result in arguments if the season doesn’t go as it should.

Then it will probably be someone who is used to working like that and comes from a smaller league.

1 Like

Having a head coach doesn’t mean the coach won’t have a say. Of course he will have a say, he doesn’t have to be a manager to have a say.

2 Likes

Plenty of coaches around Europe work in a similar manner though.

I feel European experience is paramount that’s my view point.

2 Likes

yep, exactly this. Create a plug-and-play system at LFC. Have a set playing system, with Hughes and Edwards running things and choosing and signing players that suit that system, which makes the manager easily disposable.
However, I will throw this out there (feel free to catch). Glory is a thing all man seek. The fallout between Edwards and Klopp was no small thing. In my opinion, Edwards wants to also be recognised or credited for building a very successful team without Klopp as maybe he feels he does not get enough credit for the previous run… Just me farting in the wind.

1 Like

I dunno, everything I’ve ever read about Edwards suggests he doesn’t really seek credit. Everyone who’s worked with him says he’s happiest just being in the background and let others get the glory.

2 Likes

All we know is Alonso is out, Amorim is unlikely and Dave saying we spoke to O’Neill, a man who seems to use his account for clicks

2 Likes

Almost everyone we call a “manager” thesedays is actually a Head Coach. That’s why Sporting Directors and the DoF position have increased in prominance. A modern football club is far too much to “manage” for one person, especially as they lead a squad daily.

Rob Burley’s tweet sounds very old-fashioned to me. People who grew up believing that having an Alex Ferguson is the only way to run a club. European clubs passed English teams on this basis a long time ago and only recently has the English game reacted.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been Hughes who fired him at Bournemouth?

1 Like

Burley is a fan who writes more about politics.

I thought his book was very good by the way. Doesn’t really tell us much though. Let’s face it even Fergie adapted around 2005.

1 Like

It’s a bit basic in thought process but rather than linking us to the man Hughes fired… Iraola was someone Hughes earmarked as an essential person to come in at Bournemouth because of his work at Bilbao. So much so that he, controversially at the time, fired O’Neill who had done a good job there to bring him in.

So if we are being linked with the man Hughes didn’t want - what about the man he thought he absolutely must have?

Edit: Vallecano not Bilbao, getting confused with his playing career!

2 Likes

Aye. That was less about getting rid of him for cause and more taking the opportunity to bring in someone they had identified as a rare talent who was on the radar of other big clubs and so they needed to move decisively if they wanted to get him. A cut throat move and not necessarily a slight on O Neil. But it is absurd to think that he would have been thought as someone to move out of Bournemouth to help them get to the next level and today, just 12 months later after a decent stint at wolves, he’d now be considered to have the chops to do this job.

The two more likely scenarios are 1) it is completely made up, or 2) there are people who do rate him and know him personally (dont forget he has history at liverpool as well) and are sounding out if there is a role that could be found for him in the new set up.

3 Likes

With quite a few big clubs looking for a manager/coach… Bodgers is so far out of their orbit of choice, as in the silence is deafening, makes you wonder how much he must be regretting fucking things up so badly at LFC, even to the point of alienating a high proportion of our fanbase forever - Touted as a rising star at the time, we need to tread carefully with similar being touted now.
It’s looking like a stop-gap from within the club maybe… get us through next season at least

We saw how that went at the time. :see_no_evil: Ok, he had no previous experience within the LFC setup, but if that is an important pre-requisite, I’d rather go with Lijnders, who has the full inside experience and knows the current players inside out.

1 Like

I think it’s more to do with how badly he handled Leicester that Bodgers is being looked at as a liability.

That team shouldn’t have been relegated in the first place

1 Like

James Pearce saying O’Neil isn’t under consideration.

I think it would be a mistake to appoint anyone they know is going to be controversial or divide the fan base. Whoever is appointed will be given a chance, obviously, but there is difference between being given a chance and having the fan base unified behind them and it is only when we have the latter that we can reach our full potential, in my opinion. Feel like slim pickings out there anyway but if it ends up being an O’Neil or a Slot who seems to be a favourite now I’ll really fear for the atmosphere around the club in 12 months time.

but thats were the real glory is, isnt it.

This will depend much more on whether we’re challenging for titles in 12 months time than anything else.

1 Like

exactly this… why hire a man he didnt think was good enough

Willkommen!

Danke