The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

well we cant disagree with VVD aging, but can still say hes one of the top centre backs in the world.

i have a few other words for Trent, all alot more positive than ‘a conundrum’

cant even disagree with it being a ‘huge task’ as following Klopp will be massive… but i dont think it will be a ‘huge task’ in the context it looks like youre making out…

in someways, Klopps team bombing a bit in the last month might just open the door for people to have more patience for the next bloke.

lets face it, if we’d done the quadruple in his last year there would have been no where to go…

9 Likes

I love VVD, and he’s still one of the best around, but he can’t go on forever. Robbo has lost some energy, especially since his last injury.

Trent is a wonderful player, but it still feels like we haven’t found his best position, hence conundrum.

1 Like

still plenty good enough to not be an issue next season (touches wood, acknowledging that you just never can say never)
with Quansah coming through, Konate more than acceptable, and the fact we would have been in the hunt for an absolute top drawer centre half regardless of the Klopp situation this summer (so we can assume we are already well and truely looking) then to me thats not a ‘massive task’

through to midfield, we have overhauled that really nicely, Macca and Dom adding to Curtis and the continued development of Elliott, Gravenburch is far from a busted flush also…could we add another quality name in there, quite probably

its up to us whether we call trent an option in the middle of the park or at the back, either way hi adds quality

Gomez, robbo, trent, bradley and Tsmakis is a great mix for full backs

up top it looks a bit of a mish mash to me…maybe Salah and Diaz find the door this summer, creating plenty of funds to input quality up front.

its not great to watch us right now, but Jurgen is leaving us in a strong enough- and more importantly- flexible enough position.

7 Likes

If any of front 3 go in the summer it has to be Nunez you can’t have a number 9 with a shot conversion rate of 10% at a top club.

4 Likes

It’s hard to see Salah staying at the moment. That means we need a top drawer right winger. That’s a task in itself.
If, as you suggest, we also sell Diaz (by far our best player tonight), we also need a top drawer left winger.
We’d have funds, but finding two players of that calibre in one window where we also need a CB will test Edwards, if not the new coach.
And then there’s Darwin….

I appreciate your positivity BJ, but I’m fucking depressed and it all looks gloomy right now :pensive:

1 Like

i just cant see the club taking a massive hit on him this summer, which i imagine is what would happen… he still brings something to the squad, as frustrated as people are with his finishing…

1 Like

I wouldn’t sell Diaz, wasn’t there rumours that we were looking to get him a new contract recently.

1 Like

Yay! :grinning:

Sorry I’m looking some positives tonight.

All it’s done is free up my Saturday morning.

not sure about the contract situation…

Gakpo is only a year and a bit in…Nunez would be a loss and Jota the only one who can finish…

both Diaz and Salah would turn a profit for us…so im just speaking logically…its not an absolute and im not saying ‘sell him hes shite’…just looking at the lay of the land…

Diaz has to improve not his goal scoring per say but his general output very lively offers very little.

Just a rumour, if Edwards has checked the data :chart_with_upwards_trend:

To be fair it’s one thing I’ve got faith in the set up. We will see who “slots” in to the manager role but I assume work is undergoing currently.

1 Like

Its only a loss Nunez because Benfica Dick Turpined Ward big style.

Agreed we need a better finisher up top and Mo looks a shadow of himself.

Apart from that we need tweaks in the defensive side of the game especially our press and the way we sometimes over commit to challenging for the ball. We need to be more patient at times and one of the biggest gripes we sometimes need to follow our man, a combination of zonal and man marking, something Slot supposedly does.

On the ball we need defenders that are comfortable in possession, to cope with the press and then to pass the ball through midfield.

Finally we need to speed up the passing and moving in the final 3rd, Liverpool’s style has always been pass and move.

We have the nucleus in the squad to do most of the above, just need some coaching tweaks for it all to come together.

Thought Alonso’s style would have been great for us.

Overall it has been a good season close to a great one which would have been a great send off for our boss.

2 Likes

Needs a focal player like a Bobby to play off

Interesting that Sipke Hulshoff, Slot’s first assistant at Feyenoord, is also Koeman’s first assistant with the Dutch national team.

2 Likes

Sell Mo and buy another winger. I quite like the look of Kudus at West Ham, but there could be several good options.

Keep Diaz.
Keep Jota.
Keep Nunez.
Keep Gakpo.

Jury is out on Nunez, but I’d want to see what he can do in a Liverpool side after Mo Salah, and under a new manager. If he can’t score more goals next season then sell. But I still think there are ingredients there for him to become world class.

None of the above group of forwards are indispensable if the right money was offered.

What ingredients exactly for him to be worldclass hes been here 2 years now and hes no more consistent than then. Whats going to change this with Salah going. Replace Nunez with a Bobby type and you will see Salah return to form. Salah form has gone down since Nunez arrived trying to make him fit.

The words?

Any manager coming here is taking over a fantastic squad of talented players with loads of potential for improvement. A disappointing couple of games does not change that.

It’s absolutely fucking mental the obituaries being written over the last couple of games.

A few games ago we were two points clear at the top and everything was rosy. There were no ‘massive job for the next manager’ or ‘we need to sell half the squad’ posts then.

We probably need a defender to replace Matip. Beyond that I can’t see a lot of changes. Salah really depends on what Salah wants to do (I don’t think Edwards extends him, but who knows). Nunez is patience testing at the best of times, but it is still worth seeing what Slot can do with him.

One thing to note here. If Klopp is at the end of his rope, and let’s face it, he looks really fucking tired at the minute, then it isn’t hard to see that cascading through the players. That isn’t to blame him, or anything. It’s a shame, because I really wanted the players to dig deep for him, and in a way just take him out of the equation. Ten games for Klopp to enjoy and the players get him over the line, rather than the other way round. But it wasn’t to be.

13 Likes