The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I think we need to approach a PL referee, those guys know how to win games.

1 Like

Great post PMSL, although it isn’t working for Forest

Hilarious :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The mistake they made was hiring a ref from Gladiators, rather than one of the Premier League ones

I love Klopp and he brought the one thing I craved as a fan.

We’ve had a good period of success and I will say we’ve been cheated out of much more by the financial dopers down the M62.

This is not to say the future isn’t bright, I am open on what we do with Salah but I wouldn’t look at a new contract so it’s eithier give it all for another season or sell.

As for the new manager I’ll give anyone a chance but I’ve warmed to Slot over recent days if it is him. We need a fresh approach, summed up by the subs tonight. There wasn’t any reason not to throw Danns or Clark on but we went with Endo and a defender and subbed then two more defenders on to complete our 5.

I love Klopp but I think we all know it’s probably the best time to make a change. Whether that change works out who knows. I feel more confident than the last time we made a change like this after Rafa.

1 Like

There is no point in buying someone just so that Mo can have 1 more good year. I can’t see the club hierarchy extending Mo’s contract so the most likely option is a sale. PSG or the Saudi’s are the only two that will overpay.

I think the jury is out on Nunez. For me it is definitely not settled.

I read recently that his goals and assists, with penalties taken out, is still up there per 90 mins for strikers across Europe. And if his obvious wastefulness had a slight uptick, he would quickly be in a very small elite bracket.

He has pace, power, is decent in the air, takes a lot of shots and stretches the play. We have seen some great finishing from him, but obviously lots of iffy stuff too.

Salah is out of the equation for me, as he is past peak. Probably way past peak. His pace is nowhere near what it was, and his strength isn’t either. It is rare to see him win a tussle with a defender. But then he still has his finishing and his goals, only now that’s not happening either. I’ve no doubt he still has more goals in him, but we are into diminishing returns with Mo.

For all of Darwin’s time here so far, Mo Salah has been the main man up front. What that has meant is that a fair amount seems to go through Mo, and there’s a certain deference there based on his considerable achievements over the years.

But moving forward I think that will be unhelpful.

I’d like to see Nunez as the tip of the spear in Slot’s 4231 (if that’s what we end up doing). Either way, I’d like to see Nunez be seen as more of a main man, in a post Mo Salah set up, and we will see what he can do.

If he steps up with the goals we need we won’t look back. If he does not, sell and upgrade.

But as things stand he is borderline for me, the jury is out, and I’d like to see what he can do under a new manager, and in a side where the shadow of a diminishing Mo Salah doesn’t loom large.

2 Likes

Seems Guus Hiddink is a fan of Slot. Translated.

FCUpdate logo LIVE FOOTBALL Hiddink does not want to hear one nickname for Slot: “You should never use that word” Dominic Mostert March 20, 2023, 8:49 AM Updated: December 6, 2023, 3:25 PM Guus Hiddink is lyrical about Arne Slot’s qualities as a trainer. The chairman of the Coaches Betaald Voetbal trade association sees a great future for the Feyenoord coach, who in his opinion can become the next Dutch trainer after Erik ten Hag to break through abroad. Yet Hiddink refuses to call Slot the ‘crown prince’ of the Dutch guild. For example, Slot made the difference in De Klassieker with the early substitution of Quilindschy Hartman, who was facing a second yellow card. “Many trainers bet that such players will not receive a second yellow card. But I think you should always intervene if you have a good replacement,” Hiddink said in conversation with NOS. “Because a smart team will also play on that, to force a second yellow card. That substitution was good. It was not an ABC, because you have to dare to do it.” Also read: El Ahmadi sees ‘unremarkable’ standout with ‘fantastic moments’ in Classic Hiddink thinks that Slot also intervened during the break, by urging his team to play with the ball with more calm. “In my opinion, teams that dare to play short are given more space to then attack in acceleration. Feyenoord’s play-in passes from the back were also a lot better. And Ajax found it difficult to arm themselves against that.” It could well be that Slot goes abroad to try his luck, the former top coach thinks. "What he is doing at Feyenoord deserves all the praise. It could well be that, after Erik ten Hag at Manchester United, he will be the next to break through internationally. Crown Prince? No, you should never use that word. There have been so many trainers who have been crown princes in the past. Slot is simply a very good coach.

3 Likes

If PSG comes in mad with a 100 million pounds for Luis Diaz, would you take it?

Whoever that is coming in, needs to project more energy into the team. If there is a need to axe the underperforming forwards and midfielders , then do it…If there is a need to improve the medical team, then do it.

The big issue with Nunez is others not scoring around him. He is a big troublesome forward thug who creates havoc. The drop of in Salah is why we are having a discussion about him. Fix Salah and Diaz and it will be back to 4 weeks ago.

1 Like

Salah is going to be diminishing returns from now on. He lost quite a bit of pace and upper body strength.

As for Diaz, he is never a prolific goalscorer even in his days in Porto.

His first two seasons had lesser than 10 goals each. Only in his last mid-season for Porto, he had 14 goals in 18 matches for the Portuguese league. Assuming his form holds to the end of the season, he would score about 23 goals for 30 matches in the Portuguese league which lags behind when compared to that year’s top scorer, a particular Darwin Nunez who scored 26 goals in 28 games.

As for how it translates to the Premier League, it is gonna be hard to see how Luis Diaz translates his form in the Portuguese league

Funny enough, Luis Diaz is one of the last transfers that Michael Edwards presided over. Whether the signing of Luis Diaz over other options was the last straw that led to the Michael Edwards leaving will remain a mystery

Your fix would be to replace Salah and Diaz. Diaz’s impact is largely cushioned by Jota and Gakpo. As for Salah, that will be harder to fix as the 2017-2020 Salah is magnificent.

Why are you slating Diaz he is a wide forward, who isn’t playing alongside Bobby and his role is different to Mo as he has more defensive duties, how many wide forwards score more???

2 Likes

I was thinking the same. I would assume they want a manager who’s not going to demand a huge transfer budget and also is willing to work with whatever is available i.e perform miracles at times.

1 Like

Diaz has been far and away our best player recently. It would be madness to sell him.

6 Likes

put this elsewhere but felt i should put it in here

it feels like the last eight years, the message hasnt got through… sounds like in a week of Klopp being gone we’ll be back to 2015…

for those not paying attention…

enjoy the journey, back the players (especially those putting in the effort), believe and try and be as positive as possible…

the team have lost thier way a bit…plenty of sages want to say they saw it months ago, some, not so long ago…its irrelevant…

we actually have people in here saying this is the worst theyve ever felt about the team and its pointless watching…

say it out aloud… theres liverpool fans who think its a drag watching Jurgen Norbet Klopps last 4 games as a manager of this club…

i say watch and enjoy…visit the forums and enjoy, because in about 4 months this site and our fandom will be inundated with people like ‘notasuperfan’, and if things go really pear…we could end up with our own version of goldbridge, and you know damn well that’ll be a stereotypical scouser etc etc etc

im hoping we all can hold onto the real lessons Klopp has tried to teach us…

12 Likes

I think Harry Enfield already did that:

One thing I hope they bring in as a manager is this.

This has been the difference in this club for the last decade.

12 Likes

He is definitely the type of manager you would love to play for, strong, caring, truthful, intelligent, loyal and someone who I imagine could roast you one minute and the next give you the biggest hug to lift your spirits.

A true leader and a man that even at my ripe old age I look up to and wished that I could also be that inspirational.

4 Likes

Always great to read what one would like to post.

1 Like