The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Well if we start talking that hypothetically, why stop there? Sky is the limit.

Klopp looks utterly shattered in that pic, and on the tv last night. He has aged 20 years since he joined

2 Likes

People have totally lost the run of themselves. He was our only player trying to make something happen last night, and was an inch away from a screamer. Yes, there is work today on final product and maybe conserving energy by not running after everything. But he’d be one of the last players on my ‘sell list’.

People expect our wingers to score goals at the rate Salah and Mane did. I don’t think we’ll ever see that again

4 Likes

Apart from the fact that he has indeed aged almost 10 years, he lost weight also. Plus he’s not someone “fresh looking” anyway. He looks physically healthy to me, but mentally it might be a different story.

Dutch football journalist Marcel van der Kraan on Arne Slot:

“I’ve followed Feyenoord for 40 years. Not since the days of Johan Cruyff at Ajax in the 1980s has there been a coach so attack-minded in the Dutch league. Cruyff only had a few disciples who followed him and one of them was Pep Guardiola.”

“I would say Slot is a Guardiola-style manager based on everything I’ve seen over the past couple of years. The fans of Feyenoord can’t believe what they’ve seen over that time.”

4 Likes

I hope that he’s similar to Guardiola in terms of how dominating, attacking and efficient his teams are, with the added bonus of his players not being susceptible to injuries.

2 Likes

Is Slot switching between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3?

And there I am thinking VVD did,and a fella we knew as the Duracell Bunny,no point in digging any further.

The drop has been all over the pitch, not just 1 or 2 players and Diaz is the least of our worries…plenty have given him stick over the years but I’d have killed for 11 Lucho’s out there last night.

Trent comes back in and it’s all about him, whether people like that narrative or not I could careless…he’s having as many touches as Jones Szobo and Mo combined, what on earth is that about? 124 touches of the ball and I can’t recall a single thing he did, 14 long balls!!!

Our build up play is essentially passing it around the back for 5 minutes (as slowly and painfully as possible) until someone gets bored and gives it Trent so he can wack it 50 yards in the direction of Diaz/Nunez. 9 times out of 10 it ends up going for a throw or goal kick, the game ends and the stats will say we’ve had 70% possession and completed about 83992 passes yet many of us are left wondering what the fuck just happened.

Where’s the fucking identity gone?

1 Like

The reason it’s going up and down the back line is that there is no movement ahead that they can lock onto. You get see Virgil getting more frustrated as the game goes on.

This all comes down to tiredness. Mental and physical.

3 Likes

You can’t afford mental and physical weakness to creep in when you’re fighting for a title. We’ve played as many games this season and suffered as many (if not worst) injuries in prior seasons, we’ve always stuck at it rid the momentum and finished strong. Last season we pushed until the end when there was a lot less to play for, the seasons we finished a 1 point behind the same, the season we spectacularly clutched 3rd despite having no CB’s the same.

This is by far the worst ending to a season in the Klopp era. The 1 season we had to battle through harder than ever and we get this.

Well no - that’s sort of the point, isn’t it?

We have done well to take it this far. Nobody expected it.

And there you go again with the hyperbole.

The reason we feel deflated is because of the significance we attached to this for Klopp. We wanted it for him.

The only difference between this season and the others is that the wobble ended up later.

Last season January was a fucking nightmare. We could not win a game of football. We went on a horrible run that seemed to last forever. Yes, we rallied and nearly nabbed a top four spot. But that was season over really - in winter.

We’ve always had these spells when the wheels look like they’ve come off. The team always recovers. But make no mistake, even in the midst of those epic ding dongs with City and the 90 point finishes, we had wobbles like this. They just came earlier in the season and we were able to recover.

This this year there has been no wobble until now. It’s late April, and it’s taken to this point for the team to start to struggle

4 Likes

Probably. Though I’d want to see the overall plan for the strikers, and not just have a subtraction and a payday for the owners.

I’d take even less than that.

How much would you expect a replacement to be?

1 Like

The new manager should take a long and hard look at those games, if he wishes to succeed. Yes, we have a very good squad. But that only amplifies the direness of those results. It’s not even like we lost to prime Mourinho or the Galacticos.

A Cup game against our fiercest rival
A key European game at Anfield
A key league game at Anfield
A key league game and the derby

These are the sort of the games where the players should have had unbridled passion and hunger. We all saw how they played. It’s no good having a fantastic squad of talented players if we don’t know what’s bugging them.

It’s no use being pessimist or all doom & gloom. Also, it’s no use being oblivious to real issues. There’s a problem (it’s normal) and the new manager will have to address that.

1 Like

We’ve shown in the past that we can find somewhat better value for the money Diaz cost in the first place. But it could be another one in that region.

One thing is for sure so far, we can’t be satisfied enough with what we got so far for €200m on our 3 latest forward signings.

Just to be clear, I think Diaz is a smashing player, and the least of our issues. Being open to a 100M sale would be down to two things for me:

1. Is the player open to, or oven looking, for a move? There have been a few whispers, though probably lost in translation.
  2. What will we do with the money?

The player up front I would most be open to selling is Mo Salah, if the Saudis came back with 100M+.

Diaz
Nunez
New man
Jota
Gakpo

Let’s go. And next season we will all be watching to see if Nunez steps up a bit more, or he could justifiably be replaced. But not yet, for him.

3 Likes

We got Diaz on the cheap because we knew he was available and wanted to come at that point. I suspect that they knew Sadio wanted to go at that point as well. There is no guarantee that a suitable player will be available at under market rate, although I accept your point and would imagine that the backroom boys are on the search for a bargain on an ongoing basis.

Those transfers are not cheap, it’s not a Minamino “low risk, probable profit whatever happens” type of move. Especially when you see the calibre (and ceiling compared to age) of the player after 2-3 years. Impossible to know the relations behind the scenes who had how much say in which transfer. But I hope we go back to better efficiency in that area as well. Not easy as we are a club at the top of the football food chain and we want to remain there. It’s hard to constantly change players so that adds extra pressure on getting it right who gets an important shirt at Liverpool at still an important price.

2 Likes