The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I was looking over some news stories from last summer and on 15th May it was being reported that Slot wanted to join Spurs. On 25th that was off. On 26th May he had signed a new contract with Feyenoord.

I suspect someone from FSG must have had a chat with him and Feyenoord during that period. Maybe that’s just some mad conspiracy theory but I am wondering why January was used to announce Klopp leaving? Maybe the club needed to sound out some potential signings and couldn’t exactly say, “Yeah, Jürgen won’t be here by then.”

1 Like

That should be enough to not jump into conclusions.

First game with Slot, Jota hat trick, headlines go crazy…

It’s the stereotypical Dutch straightforwardness.

I don’t see how it is disrespectful to state what things are. Can someone explain to me like I’m five?

8 Likes

This might come handy for some:

7 Likes

I’m lost on it as well.

Also be aware that as far as it is the job is pretty much done for him in Feynoord for this season.

As for the players I couldn’t give a toss, a million and one pieces on how they wanted to do it for Klopp and they churn that out in the last fortnight.

2 Likes

I don’t think Klopp had already decided last summer. He was clearly excited about putting together the new team at the start of the season. The way it’s panned out his exhaustion is clear.

3 Likes

Mate, Your view of looking at it is different than mine. I am not saying anyone’s way is wrong. This is my personal feeling and I feel that’s not the way things are done at this club. I am all up for whoever comes in and leads this club going forward, Be it Slot !!

He could simply have said, I am not going to discuss my future right now. Liverpool are in the midst of a season and have a job to do. If there’s anything to confirm, the clubs will inform. Thank You.

Trying to be a different guy now and pretending that he isn’t interested, while simultaneously negotiating is even less respectful in my opinion.

I am sorry , but by this logic, would it be fair to say that every transfer should be exposed to the world even while we are negotiating with a player/manager ? And, if a transfer is kept under the wraps, it is being disrespectful, because the player never said he is interested. :confused:

The standard of the league is irrelevant if the team above you is winning 27 of it’s 31 games and only losing 1 game.

Just think of PSV as the City of the Eredivisie and Feyenoord as the Liverpool.

Klopp’s last 2 seasons at Dortmund, he finished 19 and 33 points behind Bayern. It’s irrelevant if the Bundesliga is inferior/superior to the Prem/Eredivisie, wherever you are you’re trying to beat all the odds stacked against you to the dominant team of the league.

6 Likes

so long as we’re all cool with

‘i know Madrid are in discussions with LFC as we speak, obviouysly it would be wonderful to be there next season’

1 Like

Nope its not Klopps fault, I agree with what he did and have no problem with Slot being honest, his club knows he wants the move and its great that he has the confidence to come out and let everone know that he has his heart set on joining us.

You can’t congratulate one and then lambast the other

3 Likes

He is :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thought this piece was decent…

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter whether they’re still in with a chance to win something or not, they still have games to play and he’s still their coach. He’s not going to get the price down by speaking like that. Where’s the panic, we’re negotiating the fee and by all accounts it’s progressing well and with pace after the first rejected bid. Might feel nervous whether it will go through, I don’t know. Patience (too much to ask in this world, I know).

It’s not a massive deal, but I do agree that it’s not the way I’d like my coach to speak before it’s done. Especially just before and after a game. Focus on your job at hand and you’ll get plenty of opportunities in coming days or weeks when it’s done. There’s a way and time how to do it with decency.

2 Likes

the situations are completely different…not a little bit different, but absolutely completely different…

obviously theres no need to spell out those differences, i accept some people are OK with it, i accept it might be a dutch ‘trait’… but to me, its just a bit of a red flag…

nothing to rile me up and not give him a chance, but…

1 Like

Actually, the rumour I remember was at the beginning of August:

However, that’s not to say that he hadn’t informed the club earlier. As with any rumours, if you throw enough out there, then some will hit the target.

1 Like

No - the quotes seem odd. Better to stay classy and say not much at all. Not sure what is gained by public commentary at this stage. Interesting if there’s an adverse response by the Feyenoord fans.

Perhaps they demand “slot out”

They sack him, he gets redundancy pay and we don’t have to pay the release clause

So superior were Feyenoord in every area – tactics, intensity, power, unity, intelligence – that it could have been worse for Ajax. Only in their finishing might Feyenoord have done better.

Dear, oh dear.

2 Likes

It’s nailed on, isn’t it? FSG would look absolute w*nkers if they pulled out now, even if Amorim does a 180 and agrees to their financial terms. Amorim was my favourite to take over - before all his unsavoury financial demands (if true) came to light.

I’d never heard of Slot a week ago but no doubt there will be an overload of intel from the media available in the coming weeks about him. He seems a very likeable guy and I hope he’s a huge success at LFC obviously.

2 Likes