The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

“If true” probably doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

There has been a huge amount of speculation and second guessing in all of this. The only party that has remained steadfastly quiet is Liverpool Football Club.

It’s quite possible that the club will have sounded out quite a few people over the last year. However, I’m pretty certain that they will have sorted things out months ago. The rest is gossip.

3 Likes

No I’m not trying to say anything of the sort… the news was widely reported (for about 24 hours before) so it was hardly being kept under wraps but was already in the open.

What new thing did we learn from all this? There is no play-by-play commentary. Just a confirmation of stuff we already knew. If a person who is normally open, is all of a sudden secretive, that is going to create more uncertainty, second guessing and disruption due to the unnatural behavior.

Every football fan following Liverpool knows we are looking for a manager. So do the players. And then about a day before his interview (as I understand it), the media knew.

So, who is to say that the uncertainty about the future is not more disruptive than the certainty and preparation the Club is doing to make sure someone is in place for next season ASAP. Same goes for Feyenoord… the earlier things are resolved, probably the better for them as well.

5 Likes

I judge a manager by his actions not words.

It’s a very different position to how we’ve been for decades and back then it was just someone from the back room.

Feyenoord had basically just had confirmation that the league was beyond them and only needed a point to confirm CL.

For him the job is done at Feyenoord, it’s likely this is announced very soon.

4 Likes

He is Dutch, that is a cultural trait. Straightforward and absolutely honest and relaxed. That is something we have to get used to.

I don’t think he wanted to come across disrespectful or something. Everyone in Netherlands knows already that he’s leaving.

Edit
He speaks to the Dutch media and tells it like it is, it is completely normal to talk like that in the Netherlands.

6 Likes

Carra wants Thomas Tuchel as manager. Just goes to show that pundits are just idiots with megaphones

7 Likes

Klopp was asked in his press conference about Arne Slot

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1783824942946992333

5 Likes

Apparently because he wants ‘a proven winner.’ What we’d definitely get with Tuchel is a certified arsehole.

5 Likes

So he decides to go for the guy that managed to lose the most 1 sided and biased league in the world.

Also, wasn’t Tuchel the PSG boss that lost the French league despite having Messi, Neymar and Mbappe?

4 Likes

I wont question anyone not liking his specific words, but it is worth pointing out that its a relatively new convention that moves are only made and talked about in the off season (or winter window). Before the transfer window gained such importance, this sort of announcement of a move for the following season was utterly remarkable, just like it is in any other industry (I am currently through a 3 month notice period before moving on).

He is credibly reported to have pushed to get Rafa replaced by Alan Curbishley

4 Likes

For all his directness and informing everybody to quash uncertainty, there’s a reason why the club has not responded to anything or came out with something. Because, for now it remains “speculation”. Nothing is certain. You don’t count your chickens before they hatch and you don’t do negotiations through media.

There’s a reason, why few terms are quite popular :

“We never interested in the player.” Or “X was never an internal candidate who was considered for this position”.

He’s even put his club owners into a bit of a spot there by talking about compensation money. I don’t understand why would you want to drum up this publicly just to put pressure on Feyenord , for agreeing something. This could equally come back to bite him.

Here’s his quotes about that:

As other’s have said, Slot should have handled it better and that’s all I feel. He will learn hopefully. It’s not a deal breaker , probably a red flag as others have mentioned.

Let’s hope things get wrapped up soon and we can all look forward for a positive future.
We may perceive things differently, but, We all wish the same thing and it’s the bright future of this club. Let’s hope for that. Cheers :grinning:

1 Like

No harm is asking or wishing a proven winner.

I wish we could have someone without the certification you mentioned :yum:. Unpopular guys among our fans are a non starter surely.

Red flags mean stay clear… perhaps an Amber at best or one of those signs they put up to go slower.

As I said I’ll judge by what they do. Rodgers could talk the talk but was garbage. People say Klopp speaks well but it’s probably more hampered by his ability in English.

1 Like

Yeah, I was deeply impressed by Tuchel’s late run at Bayern last season, where he almost managed to outbottle the bottlers at Dortmund.

2 Likes

I think the whole thing is much more advanced than we are led to believe, it may only be a matter of a few small details and everyone will already agree on the outcome.

3 Likes

Tuchel is a guy whose only league wins are with teams who are odds on to win the league every year regardless of who is manager and has contrived to lose a title with both those sides (being sacked at Christmas with PSG the year they finished second to Lille).

He isnt questioning the value of a proven winner. He is questioning the attribution of that as the defining trait of Tuchel

3 Likes

TikTok tells me the term the kids use is beige flag. The one that isnt a deal breaker but makes you go
Disappointed Beyonce Knowles GIF by Black Women Love Dogs

I’ll stick with Amber… that place is full of red flags.

1 Like

What part of my post says that I was advocating for Tuchel,. My post was in agreement with the original post not in diagreement.

Let me rephrase for you…I am meaning to say there is no harm to wish for a candidate who is a proven winner for a club like liverpool, than people who have no experience of the highest level.
I wish there were guys who were available which do not come with the baggage like Tuchel, as most of our fans base feels.

2 Likes

I mean, people wanted continuity right…?