The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

First press conference of ours I’ve watched in a while, and I see what everyone else is saying about his fatigue, feels like the season can’t end soon enough for him sadly…

5 Likes

damn!! really?

yep… thats how edwards works

1 Like

Even Klopp is now forced to speak about his potential successors, instead of focusing on his last few matches with us, ffs… :see_no_evil:

I don’t like this. Whomever is targeted by the club; this should be a confidential process, and not talked about in public before it’s settled one way or another.

2 Likes

I don’t mind having a certified asshole as our next manager (at least, he would be our arsehole!), as long as he can get the lads onboard and win major trophies for us. I’d have far more problems with a new Rodgers-type unproven guy coming in, even if he’s nice.

(Slot doesn’t seem to be nice at all btw. He looks rather like an arrogant prick, judging by his general demeanour, and his most recent quotes reflect perfectly those he held at AZ a few years ago, when Feyenoord were looking to bring him in).

1 Like

Arsehole to the press, other clubs could possibly be tolerable. Tuchel’s arseaholic character inside the club - no thanks.

4 Likes

If Madrid come hunting our manager he must have won some pretty big trophies, so at this point I’ll be cool with it!

3 Likes

Yeah, that would be a problem with him over time, I agree. I wasn’t promoting Tuchel btw, I don’t want him at LFC.

I understand people not liking the quotes about wanting the job, while still under contract at Feyenoord, that does appear to be a misstep.

But it’s worth noting that he’s probably not used to having everything he says getting the microscope treatment. He coaches at Cambuur, AZ and even Feyenoord then whatever he says likely doesn’t go much further than the person he says it to. Maybe national news in Netherlands. He’ll have to learn now that every syllable that leaves his mouth will be twisted, dissected and used against him.

Honestly I’d imagine Feyenoord fans aren’t even that concerned with the comments. They support a Dutch team, they’re used to coaches and players leaving every season.

The coaches with more experience at this level of the game already understand the media game, it’s why they never say anything to the press. Even Klopp has learned just to mostly stick with vacuous soundbites. It’ll be a learning curve for Slot no doubt.

1 Like
1 Like

There is a level of arrogance and prick-ishness to everyone who reaches the top end of their profession.

1 Like

Context is key for the Slot comments.

The backdrop is that the whole world knows Liverpool and Feyenoord are negotiating. Credible reports have said it is moving along swiftly.

Then Slot is asked about it.

Feyenoord have the cup in the bag, and they are not going to win the league, but they are going to finish in the CL spots. It’s not as if they are in the fight of their lives to win the title. Their season isn’t over, but the plane is on a glide path coming in to land.

Then you have to factor in the Dutch culture. He is answering a straight question with a straight answer. Of course he could have been more shrouded, and more cagey, but I would imagine he knows it is all but done, because the whole world knows that.

All that remains is for the clubs to reach settlement, and he clearly said that’s not on him, but he hopes a conclusion can be reached soon.

He has been brilliant for Feyenoord. Their fans won’t be up in arms over this. His time there is coming to an end, he’s on the way to Liverpool, it’s a matter of dotting the i and crossing the t, so conceivably it might be possible for it to fall through, but he is letting their fans know where things are at.

I would imagine they will respect him all the more for it.

3 Likes

The good thing about his openess is that everyone can now move on with their business and no more speculations and rumours.

3 Likes

He did the same when he was at AZ, and Feyenoord were sniffing around. As a result, he fell out with the AZ fans. Now he does the same thing again. He must have a rude edge about him.

As I said earlier, I don’t mind having an opportunistic bastard as the next manager, as long as he’s the right fit for us. We’ll see that shortly if the rumours are correct. I doubt it, but what do I know? Let’s Edwards and Hughes decide this.

1 Like

I am afraid I agree with Carra we should have gone for experience and gone for Tuchel I don’t care how abrasive he is I can see the tabloid headlines after a loss with Slot

Obviously I know that, and have great memories of past 40 years as a fan. Just that the past decade has felt safe with Klopp.

He unified the fan base in a way I haven’t seen any other coaches do in my lifetime. We’ve had grumbles but no sane fan ever wanted him replaced.

Compared to:

• Kenny 1: I was too young to gauge fan opinion but obv a legend.
  • Souness: mixed views
  • Evans: mixed views
  • Houllier: success but most glad to see him go.
  • Rafa: I loved him but many on the forums slated him constantly.
  • Kenny 2: loyal devotion but his time was over.
  • Brendan: I think especially because he was a fellow NI man, he made me cringe from day 1 until the bitter end.
  • Roy: I guess the only other manager to unite the fans, but in the opposite direction.
3 Likes

Isn’t it more of the fact that AZ see Feyenoord as their biggest rivals and, at the time, they thought they were a better team than Feyenoord?

1 Like

If Slot becomes the manager as expected, I hope we don’t get stuck on a nothing soundbite, and ascribe too much to it.

If it is offensive to Feyenoord fans, let’s take our cue from them, rather than taking up an offense that might not be there.

As for the manager, since we have Edwards and Hughes, and have run a proper process, then you back the process and go with it. If it leads us to Slot, bring it on.

I can’t wait to see what he does at Liverpool, if it all goes through as expected.

2 Likes

Tbf You have to be very self-confident and convinced if you want to follow in Klopp’s footsteps, I don’t find him arrogant at all.

6 Likes

I don’t agree with that at all. It’s certainly common but there are lots of examples of people who have achieved success and are confident and self-assured without being an arrogant prick. Our current boss being a great example

4 Likes