The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

it really is interesting times in football as a whole. The consolidation of power will be with sporting directors. It looks like United is also looking at a similar model. I guess it makes continuity easier, as recruitment and style of play are down to sporting director and the recruiting team. So they get to decide on the players who will fit a system that they want the club to play and players do not become disposable every time a new head coach/manager is hired. So managers/coaches will no longer be hired because they are brilliant but emphasis will be more on system/style of play

1 Like

Slot will pick the team.

If Harvey or Cody or Curtis start the first match of 24/25 there will be calls to sack him.

Have this type of system in Germany as well, for like ever. In the end it’s still all about how competent the particular individuals are and how (well) they work together, not convinced it’s superior per se.

9 Likes

Will be strange when one of the most powerful men in world football leaves and being replaced by a coach.

Doubt Slot will have a lot to say about transfers and that can get problematic real fast.

3 Likes

I think it’s just a case that he will specify what signings he requires, not who he requires. I don’t think this going back to the pre-Shankly days the manager didn’t even pick the team.

4 Likes

i believe he is operating in a similar model right now

I often wonder how Rafa would fit in under this system. I don’t think he would have been too fussed had we had our recruiting process as screwed on as it has been in recent years. I think his need for control is overhyped, it always just felt like he didn’t get the type of player he was looking for.

4 Likes

I suppose over time Klopp has drifted more towards the autocratic style of manager popular in England - where the manager is also identifying specific players and bringing them in. That might be at Klopp’s insistence, or it might be reluctantly.

But when he came he talked about having the first and last say. He didn’t want to be the one identifying all the players. He just wanted to say what he needed and then OK whoever the scouts and analysts recommended.

I think that’s how Slot will work, perhaps with less of a final say, but I’m OK with that as it’s exactly how I think it should work.

Who knows? Maybe if Klopp hadn’t ended up being more manager and less coach, he might not have burned out as quickly?

5 Likes

I think it would be a mistake to imagine a diminished yes man in the head coach role. (I’m not saying anyone is making that case).

Recruitment will be a collaborative effort. I’ve made this point a few times. There is a key role for scouts, data nerds, the sporting director and the head coach. The head coach won’t be able to sign players on a nod and a wink, and do his mates in the game a favor. And neither will his wishes be ignored. Grown ups in a professional environment should be able to collaborate. We expect that of the team on the pitch. It should be he same with the team off the pitch.

I see it working something like this:

The head coach identifies a need. For argument’s sake, Slot comes in and let’s say he wants a central defender. We will have all the data on the players who are here and there will be a clear consensus that the squad could do with one. The scouts will have scouted many of them. The data nerds will have run the rule over them too. And Slot will have his own ideas of players he likes. Then they sit around the table to identify the best 2-3 options.

The Sporting Director will be in on all this, and happy with the process. He will weigh in on the budget, not just for one player, but overall, so then they can decide we could do more on this position, but it means a bit less on that position, etc.

Normal workplaces have collaboration to help come to good decisions. It is very rare for someone to be the lone wolf calling all the shots.

5 Likes

Yes, but that’s sensible. It has no place here!

1 Like

It could also be that they have seen how worn out our present manager is, with everyone taking their problems to him… They have now taken that possible burden from manifesting itself away from Slotty…

4 Likes

Oh, it’s ´Slotty‘ now is it? I didn’t know you were on first name terms.

If he wants to become one of us… he should expect the locals to call him it…
As in… “Your round Slotty lad, get them in” :0)

1 Like

Arne Slot branded ‘Erik ten Hag in disguise’ as doubts raised about incoming Liverpool boss

Arne Slot is an “underwhelming” appointment by Liverpool and will go the same way as Erik ten Hag at Manchester United, according to Richard Keys.

Slot has many admirers, but Keys and his beINSPORTS colleague Andy Gray are not among them. Asked to assess Liverpool’s decision, former Everton striker Gray said: “Right out of left-field. I have no idea where it came from. If you’d given me 30 guesses two weeks ago to name the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot’s name wouldn’t have been in there.”

Keys then added: “I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of Liverpool fans. Am I excited? No. Am I surprised? Yes. I’m underwhelmed if I’m honest, seriously. I couldn’t give you the name of a Dutch manager who has succeeded in our league yet. There have been one or two, like [Guus] Hiddink or [Louis] van Gaal and Ruud Gullit, who have had limited success, but nobody over a period of time has had sustained success. I think he’s Erik ten Hag in disguise.”

seconded.

Best endorsement he could get if these 2 muppets are under impressed

5 Likes

Stopped reading.

4 Likes

I stopped reading there.

6 Likes

Looks like we all did!

3 Likes

lol yeah, it’ll be a cold day in hell before I give AF what that wretched little pisshole thinks.

3 Likes