The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I’m confused by some of the reaction online about Slot being a Head Coach rather than a Manager. I thought we all knew this anyway? Like Klopp in 2016-2022, Slot will be presented with list of targets, and Slot picks which ones he wants. Or if he wants to extend someone’s contract, the SD can turn around and say no.

Am I missing something? Because it just seems to be about semantics over what his position is called.

4 Likes

This head coach title to me, is a form of prenuptial until he shows his worth. Why risk him breaking the whole crown jewels when you can just entrust him with one…

2 Likes

This is exactly where I am too, the reaction to the news confuses me honestly.

4 Likes

So what’s the difference between a coach and a manager?

https://twitter.com/bkelly776/status/1784514707807772965

The game in England has slowly been evolving away from manager to head coach, more in line with the European way.

Too much responsibility involved for just one man and we’ve seen the toll it has taken on Klopp.

We just need to look at the shit show at utd since Ferguson left, having different managers with different philosophies requiring different players, all at a huge cost. This should make the transition from Klopp to Slot to whomever easier. Not suggesting seamless but certainly easier.

3 Likes

£9.4m deal…can he play No.6?

1 Like

Not as long as cheaters are biasing the playing deck in their favour. I find football to be far less attractive than, say, twenty years ago. Klopp leaving adds a layer of meh to the whole thing. He at least is a genuine sporting character and gave us joy all along, notwithstanding the ups and downs.

Let’s see what Slot can do. My expectation level is at nil, so I won’t be disappointed whatever happens. :wink:

I’ve no problem with the head coach system. It was already more or less the case with Klopp, and if we now take in a young, relatively unproven guy, we better make sure that the latter doesn’t enjoy too much decision scope on transfers and structural issues regarding the club.

7 Likes

When will Arne Slot in?

The football manager role has traditionally been a much broader job than coaching the first team. In many cases it has been like a proto football or sporting/ technical/ director role, with greater influence over almost all areas of the club.

A head coach is primarily concerned with getting the team ready for each game and their performance during it. A well run set up should allow their input into other aspects but they are managed and run by others at the club.

2 Likes

Obviously, apart from official titles and power structures there still are different ways a model can be executed/interpreted in practice. Whether Slot’s role in transfers is mainly a form of input that will be ‘considered’ or it’s actually some kind of veto or inclusion in the final say. We’ll see.
What I would hope that Slot isn’t left alone in terms of press/media work. It’s really not so much the European model, if you hardly ever hear of the other people responsible. In the Bundesliga for example it’s pretty much expected you’ll see interviews with sporting directors etc. before/after more or less every match. It’s about sharing the work load/pressure, but also accountability.

6 Likes

It’s not a big deal to move back to the head coach route. Making Klopp have more responsibilities might well have made him feel more jaded.

Until Klopp releases his autobiography, we might never well know what’s happened between him and Edwards that’s caused Edwards to leave , but there will always be tussles between managers and sporting directors.

Klopp said he’ll never do an autobiography.

4 Likes

Is Slot a ‘Moneyball’ appointment as head coach? If so, I sincerely hope this particular experiment works :crossed_fingers:

https://www.amazon.de/Klopp-Bring-Noise-Raphael-Honigstein/dp/0224100750?dplnkId=3cc22ad6-a4c1-490c-be32-7c44215f56e7&nodl=1

Part 2 will be about PGMOL

2 Likes

Sounds a huge amount of money to me too! If it doesn’t work out it will have been expensive!

Yeah I agree. I’d find it excellent if the new sporting director could be involved with the press and media work. It would take a lot of pressure away from the head coach.

1 Like

I think clubs are contractually obliged to make their manager available for media. Again it seems England is behind the curve although a lot of foreign coaches have spoken of the appeal of the traditional management role England offers.

Sporting Directors in Germany are omnipresent in the media and I find it annoying. Interviews before and after the match. Hope that’s doesn’t happen here.

What would people expect a successful first season to be for Slot?

What’s the bare minimum they’d be happy with?

Personally for me it would just be staying in the CL places first year and a good run in the CL itself.