The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Get through one in match thread without criticism would be a great start

1 Like

Top four finish. Reaching a final in one of the domestic cup competitions. Reaching the CL k.o. stage.

But more importantly

Improving our football compared to the last two seasons.

Tactical improvement.

Defensive stability.

3 Likes

Title challenge. We have a very good team. I don’t get the idea here that we should expect a transitional season.

9 Likes

A couple of changes and we should be challenging for the title.

We don’t have a lot of things wrong with the team.

Couple of outgoing personnel (including Thiago and Matip) , incoming youth academy guys who’ve already performed at a pretty high level.

Couple of transfers to replace the existing guy and one marquee signing to keep the coach happy.

If there is one criticism of Klopp in terms of tactics , it’s that he should have pushed TAA as a permanent fixture in defensive midfield this season itself. I was never a fan of the hybrid RB/DLP role that seems to leave too much gap when the RCB covers up the RB.

With Bradley coming in and Ramsay as his deputy(hopefully) , we get free enough to play Trent alongside Endo. Mac gets in to his more advanced position that he’s better in.

2 Likes

Slot will probably not satisfy you, he seems to do the same if what I read and saw was accurate…

For the record, I was hoping/calling for Trent in midfield years ago, and would love to see Endo-Trent and Macca as 10.

1 Like

Something Klopp never managed.

4 Likes

Improve the shot conversion percentage a few points without decreasing the shots per game rate

Looking back at the years of losing out to City, IMO it almost always came down to the size/quality of the squad, PLUS the game model, and how this contributes to their superior freshness coming into the run-in. That is discounting the role of botched refereeing…

You look at this season and our collapse in the run in and you cannot but wonder if a slightly more possession based game model and perhaps a little less press, PLUS a slightly larger squad- as in a fit Thiago, Bajetic, Matip, etc, might have gotten us into the run-in in a fresher state…

Slot often played with a double pivot at Feyenoord, but also a 4-3-3 in the Dutch tradition.
Hoping he can bring in a greater technical edge in our possession game…

That’s the only factor that has made the difference over the years.

1 Like

Fact is that its never about any one factor.

1 Like

So will Jota become Slots new Slotta?

I think Klopp was. They ran stats on him and he came top of the candidates that were both willing and available.

2 Likes

i wonder if slot will move nunez to his winger role like he played in benfica

1 Like

As a point of interest, have the club said anything official about the new coach? There is an awful lot of speculation without any official announcements.

Would have thought they’d wait until the end of the season to respect both JK and Feyenoord.

1 Like

I suspect that’s the case. Certainly, let Jürgen have his sendoff after the Wolves match.

2 Likes

That’s my opinion too. We’ve got a great, deep squad with experience of a title challenge. Scraping top four would be a bit disappointing.

4 Likes

walked right into that one @FadeToBlack

did the same with slot

Absolutely nothing in terms of expectation from me. Let’s see how it goes during pre-season, then the first few matches, and then we’ll see further.

Deary me… :open_mouth: you two are potentially setting yourselves up for considerable disappointment next season… I applaud your courage! :rofl: