The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

What a dreadful outfit!

Yeah I’d prefer if he took it off.

1 Like

It’s Alonso head and shoulders above everyone else for me.

The fact he was being mooted for the Madrid job before Carlo signed a new contract the month after Klopp told FSG of his plans makes me think we might already have an agreement in place.

For Klopp, Lijnders, Krawietz and Jorg to all be going also makes me hopeful that there’s a full succession plan in place already with the new guy bringing his people with him.

3 Likes
  1. Alonso
  2. Zidane
  3. Emery

The only three I can think of off the top of my head who would soften the blow by 1%.

I know majority are singing Xabi’s praises and I loved him as player, but doesn’t he need abit more experience as manager? He hasn’t won anything yet.

Liverpool is not an easy club to manage and keep the fans happy.

2 Likes

Yeah we have to win the PL and Neverkusen the Bundesliga first…

Really too early to be honest…
I need time to digest that Klopp is leaving, let alone think about replacing him.

4 Likes

Same here. I need to do retail therapy and the pub!!

5 Likes

You cheeky little tinker!

Going be odd as we probably won’t hear for some time.

We might get rumour to be fair but I doubt Leverkusen or Alonso would confirm if it’s indeed him for at a month or two.

Been washing all day…still not taken my mind of this sad sad day…

2 Likes

As attractive an idea as it is to go after someone who can provide continuity of style, especially given that this is the football our players were brought in to play, I see the sense in someone like De Zerbi (acknowledging they are not completely the same in approach). But I think Klopp is such a force of a nature, so a uniquely charming and magnetizing character, that it feels like any attempt at continuity will fail spectacularly.

That for me makes Xabi, someone so different in style and personality, that much more of an attractive choice.

9 Likes

Xabi odds-on favourite now:

4 Likes

Ten Hag 20/1… :rofl: … should be higher odds than Leicester to win the league.

1 Like

Same for me. It’s way too soon for that. I’ll put this question away and try to enjoy the end of Kloppo’s tenure as much as possible. Then we’ll wave goodbye, and then it will be the moment for us to see who comes next.

Of course, fsg haven’t that luxury. They absolutely need to get the succession right, and I can only cross fingers that they have a clear plan and clear ideas about what comes next.

1 Like

If, for whatever reason, it isn’t Xabi, the only alternative I would entertain is Zidane.

The more I think about it, the more I think that he would be fantastic here. Imagine Dom under Zizou’s guidance…

5 Likes

It pains me to see Steven Gerrard in that list.

8 Likes

How will Al-Ettifaq cope?!

Zidane really doesn’t have a well-rounded managerial career. All we know is that he can work well with massive egos and elite talent. He proved exceptionally good at that. But building a team, and in particular under the discipline imposed by FSG, is a different challenge.

10 Likes

You have to remember that bookies love making money out of idiots. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together would back Gerrard, but the bookies know that there are plenty of idiots out there.

7 Likes