The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

a couple of german reporters have called it bullshit
https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1764994239115526399
https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1765006585879777520

https://twitter.com/4tlfc/status/1765009209869926611

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1764999773847708031

:joy:

This is all very classic Bayern, isn’t it.

How dare this club win our title! Quick create media stories about how we’re having their manager off them.

5 Likes

It’s Bayern all over, I feel it helps us in the longer term anyhow if Alonso is open to both projects.

2 Likes

That also makes them look so desperate and without any faith on their manager and the squad. I like to see how it affects both the teams in the next couple of games.

4 Likes

Nice one Reddy - “tell me you’re a classless club without telling me you’re a classless club” as the tiktok kids like to put it.

3 Likes
1 Like

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1773455025957753006

he is staying at bayer

2 Likes

Joyce:

Xabi Alonso: Liverpool look elsewhere as coach set to stay in Germany

Bayer Leverkusen manager was seen as a potential replacement for the departing Jürgen Klopp but club may now look at Sporting Lisbon head coach, Rúben Amorim.

Xabi Alonso is unlikely to feature on the final shortlist to become Jürgen Klopp’s successor as Liverpool believe the Spaniard will not be available this summer.

The development strengthens the hand of candidates such as the Sporting Lisbon head coach, Rúben Amorim, who is highly regarded at Anfield, and the Brighton and Hove Albion manager, Roberto De Zerbi.

Liverpool’s due diligence has indicated that Alonso is minded to stay at Bayer Leverkusen for at least another season and continue the impressive work that has left the German club on the brink of a first Bundesliga title.

Alonso joined Leverkusen in October 2022 when they were languishing in the relegation zone and has transformed their fortunes to such an extent that they are ten points clear at the top.

Alonso has also attracted interest from Bayern Munich, who are a distant second place in the league and have been targeting Alonso to replace Thomas Tuchel, who will depart at the end of the season.

Bayern had been very public in their pursuit of the former midfielder, who enjoyed successful spells as a player at both Liverpool and Bayern, but there was a significant volte face on Thursday when honorary president, Uli Hoeness, suggested it would be “impossible” to lure the Spaniard away.

“We’ll have to see if we can do it this year,” he said. “It will be difficult, if not probably impossible.

“[Alonso] is more inclined to stay at Bayer Leverkusen in view of their current successes, because he would not want to leave them behind,” Hoeness said. “Let’s say if he had two or three more years of success, it would probably be easier to bring him out of there.”

It is understood that Liverpool had already arrived at this understanding after extensive background checks which focused on establishing the suitability and availability of potential replacements for Klopp, who is leaving at the end of the campaign after nine years on Merseyside.

The search for a new manager is to take them elsewhere with the process involving Michael Edwards who has recently been appointed CEO of Fenway Sports Group, which owns Liverpool.

Edwards, who has returned two years after leaving, recruited Richard Hughes from Bournemouth last week to be Liverpool’s new sporting director and the Scot officially starts in the role at the end of the season.

Amorim, 39, is one of the continent’s other highly regarded coaches, having guided Sporting to the Portuguese title in 2021.

Sporting are top of the league and on course to repeat that success with Amorim’s man-management and tactical acumen having helped out-manoeuvre Porto and Benfica. He is believed to have a release clause in his contract of up to £17 million.

De Zerbi brings his Brighton side to Anfield on Sunday hoping to undermine Liverpool’s title push and Klopp has yet to get the better of the Italian in four meetings. De Zerbi’s first match in charge of Brighton was a 3-3 draw at Liverpool last October.

There is still the prospect of Liverpool meeting Alonso — who was described by Klopp recently as the “stand out” coach of a new, emerging generation — in the Europa League final in May.

Both sides have been kept apart in the quarter-final and semi-finals draws but, barring a dramatic change, the possibility of Alonso returning to Liverpool where he spent six years is now remote.

fucking hell… its gonna be RDZ isnt it

nicely played by Alonso… this is how to chart your career…If our next manager shits the bed, then he can come in for the rescue

1 Like

Whilst he is not my first choice, or 2nd choice to be frank, he is not someone I’m totally against being our next manager.

Yes, there are better options, but I also think he would do a good job.

1 Like

Knowing our luck, Xabi will become available again after a change of coach or two at Liverpool and we’ll still fail to get him.

:joy:

Alonso is just so calm and deliberate in his decision making, always playing the long game… Two of the biggest clubs in the world come for you and he is like thanks but no thanks

1 Like

RDZ sunday audition at anfield…
Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

Yeah, he doesn’t need to rush it.

Who knows how we’ll look like immediately after Klopp and so many changes.

Bayern are also not looking good lately and right now.

Ancelotti won’t be at Real forever, it might be available in a year or two.

1 Like

just well thought out… he is betting on himself, that he will get better and better and another big job will open up for him eventually

I’m also really interested in what’s the record fee paid for a coach?

€20m for Amorim certainly has to be right up there.

just glad this shit did not drag out until the summer