The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I do think it’s entirely possible there are more names on that list, I expect they will have some established names on that list as well.

2 Likes

I was sold on Alonso, so if he is confirmed to be staying put, as looks likely, I need to adjust.

Amorim looks like a talented young manager, ready to make a step up to a European giant. The insight from Miguel is very promising. Amorim seems like he has good idea about the game, is fairly flexible tactically, though hasn’t gone near 4-3-3 which might bring some issues to squad shape, as we are stacked with midfielders.

The main thing I’m liking is the character of the fella. Brings people together, shares the spotlight, communicates very well. These are all important traits for any leader, and would continue the sort of ethic Klopp has excelled at here.

Amorim has made a misbobble or two in the transfer market, largely through being asset stripped late on in the window, and seeing the quality going out the door not quite replaced by what came in. That’s not necessarily a black mark, but it is something to note.

Mitigating factors that would help us are in place. First, it is difficult for anyone to cherry pick us, as we are already a huge club, and the money here is much bigger than Portugal. That’s not to say it won’t happen - and I have a small concern that Trent might be off to Real Madrid, but by and large, we are able to keep our players.

The other factor is that we are well stocked for recruitment. We have scouting and stattos in place. What was lacking was an integrated approach above the manager’s station, and in recruiting Hughes and Edwards, it’s all joined up for - hopefully, sustained success.

It’s set up for Amorim to come in and excel at what he excels at - coaching, communicating his ideas, unifying the group - while the rest of the set up at the club can get him what he needs and help him to shine. The style, including pressing, might have similarities with Klopp, but any new manager really needs a clean sheet to be judged on his own merits.

I would have preferred Alonso, and there is a risk with any new manager. But I’m racking my brain to think of someone who is clearly better than Amorim. There are other young managers like Nagelsman. He has seen more action higher up, but he comes with his own question marks. There are mature managers who have seen it all, like Tuchel, but they come with their own question marks too.

So if it is Amorim, bring it on. He will be afforded patience, and backing, to shine at Liverpool.

2 Likes

Are there any established names out there? I quite like Zidane, but understand the huge reservations about him, and that he said in 2022 that his English isn’t at a level he’d be comfortable going into coaching with.

It looks like Amorim, De Zerbi, with Nagelsmann as an outside option from what I’ve seen from today. Is there anyone else who is established?

The way we have been who knows to be honest.

It feels somewhat similar to Bellingham, evidently I feel Alonso was our number 1 considering he’s just confirmed but I do think we’ve got a list and we aren’t sharing.

Roger Schmidt is also on the bookies list, Emery perhaps.

Guess we will see

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1773698787074031902

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1773699578732122284

And then Leverkusen will have to go through it all next year with Ancelotti and Real Madrid (provided they continue to do well), and the rumours will be much earlier too.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GraemeKelly1/status/1773686011639312450

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1773697772794872077

I wouldn’t say his english is amazing, but it’s certainly serviceable. I would say it’s a bit more clearer than Pep’s, Emery’s or De Zerbi’s and they have done well, obviously. Here he is speaking a bit https://youtu.be/4Ll-PislQE4?si=a57OshOqsUImPNNM&t=29
And considering how he is and how he values communication, I’m sure he has been getting better and would improve if he went there.

Always liked Barcelona. Can’t say I support any other club really tho. You tend to like the teams who are better while you are growing up, so I always enjoyed Milan or United (but I am not sure if that’s a great thing to say here ahah). Bit of a connection as well to Sporting. Schmeichel came right after the MU treble and was a key part of us winning the league after a near 20 year drought. Ronaldo, Nani, Bruno, as well so there has been a bit of sucessful business between the clubs. But can’t really say I support anyone in England, just mainly watch the Prem as a neutral.

5 Likes

I’m sad he’s not coming and I see it two ways. First, there’s honor in staying put. He is doing great things with Leverkusen, taking them higher than any time in their history. He is relatively inexperienced and wants to continue to develop with the group. There’s honor in that, and it will probably stand him in good stead for the long haul of a management career.

The other way I see it is that he hasn’t risen to the challenge of taking on the Liverpool job. It was on offer (presumably) and it doesn’t come around very often. Yet Alonso decided not to back himself to take it on now. Never say never, especially as he is a young man, but it might not come around again.

I suspect Xabi Alonso to Liverpool now won’t ever happen (the stars might align in future, but probably not). He will take Leverkusen into next season’s Champions League, presumably as Bundesliga champions, and then after next season, Ancelotti steps down at Real Madrid, and that would appear to be the logical step for him.

I can’t see him going directly from Leverkusen to Bayern Munich. Thats a slap in the face to the club and fans where he is making history. But they will still be there after Real Madrid, as they change their manager regularly.

We are probably about to recruit Ruben Amorim. Arguably De Zerbi, and we know Hughes likes him, but there’s something there that doesn’t sit right with me. De Zerbi can’t seem to set it up defensively, and even if you are a team with fewer resources, organization at the back is not necessarily something you have to bankroll with top dollar players.

Amorim. Bring it on.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/LewisSteele_/status/1773704464353919487

10 Likes

Yes, he’s very clear. I’m not sure how his English would improve in Liverpool. The local dialect is pretty singular to say the least!

1 Like

Alonso is just a different breed, even the way he conducts himself…hopefully we get to see him as our manager down the line

1 Like

Respect levels have gone up. Want him even more now :slight_smile: Fair play to him.

5 Likes

yep… me too. just top class guy

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LewisSteele_/status/1773705776369910079

1. Amongst the current managers , there’s no one who can compare to Klopp.

2. Xabi aside , who else can be the prospects.

Do we know if Ruben Amorim would even be open to a move to Liverpool? We can’t just assume that everyone who is asked now will want it. We just saw it with Alonso.

4 Likes

I assume him being 2-3 years down the road with them does probably lead him to considering the next step.

4 Likes