The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

The shirt colour made him miss goals.

2 Likes

I will read the other answers, but for me it’s the snide stuff. Simeone has a decent record as Atletico have spent quite a bit too on his watch, but I don’t like the fella. The football isn’t great, and it’s all so cynical and snide. It seems opposite to the ethic Jurgen tries to employ. We play well, attack, press, play hard, but crucially we play fairly. Simeone seems very happy to go to the edge of the rules, and beyond, and live in that sort of zone to get any sort of advantage he may. I don’t like it.

Now, I don’t watch Atletico each week so it’s not an expert opinion or anything! But he has been around for many years and I’ve seen plenty. The football isn’t exciting, and I don’t like the man or the way he goes about his craft.

He has won some things, big things too, and that can’t be taken away from him. But it’s a no for me. Simeone seems the wrong fit.

5 Likes

…yes…

Granted his state of mind wasn’t there for chelsea and the saga that preceded him leaving LFC, he did help Chelsea progress to the UCL final which the chavs won their first UCL…

He was mentioned by a few at the start of this topic in the early days post-Klopp’s announcement.

I respect his career and what he’s achieved with a certain level of clubs (might earn himself another go at a big one), but I wouldn’t go for him.

We don’t have many choices do we ?
After reading @Hope.in.your.heart post, he has put me right off Amorim.
:pensive:

I’m interested now. For whom would you go?

Does Amorim seem a reasonable choice for you? He certainly has an impressive PR-machinery behind him, going by how he seems to remain our only option by now… :joy:

A number of us did the last time you posted about it him.

Bloke is an absolute blert.

You say that or is it has come from Edwards?

One thing I like about Amorim is the arc of his career. I’m thinking of that in light of Simeone. Simeone seems to have flatlined, and comes across as quite comfortable in his Atletico home. Amorim is on the way up. He has done everything he can do where he is. Won the league, overcome adversity with seeing big players leave, regroup, build it up again, do well again. He is a man on the up, and I like that.

He has a clear idea about the game and seems to be a great coach. He also seems to be a generous leader, sharing success with the group. He gets a lot of praise for being a great communicator too.

It is what it is. Klopp is at the top of the tree but he is leaving. There are seasoned managers out there, but as I look around it’s all a bit meh.

So we are looking at a young fella on the way up. We have the structure in place at all levels in the club and a very good squad too. It’s all set up for more success.

If it is Amorim, how good will he be? It looks like we will find out!

4 Likes

While it doesnt excite me, he’s definitely an interesting one you would imagine the decision makers have considered, even if only to rule him out.

I think the questions with him are

• how much of Arsenal’s rise in the last few years is due to Arteta’s superiority over him, or due to Arsenal behind the scenes realizing they were running the club poorly and they all collectively learned from Emery’s failure?

• How much has Emery himself learned from the failures at Arsenal? What is he doing differently enough at Villa now to make those disappointing seasons at Arsenal weigh less?

• How well might the data guys imagine this villa team to do regardless of who was their manager. I’d imagine our data guys rate a lot of their players highly and so would be less surprised by Villa’s form this season than seems to be the norm, meaning Emery is maybe getting less credit in their analysis.

1 Like

People keep telling me that drinking bleach is a bad idea, but no one is actually giving me arguments for why.

I do not want Simeone anywhere near the club, but I think this is a harsh evaluation. What can we reasonably expect of him and his side in a situation where Real and Barca are still there? How are Valencia and Deportivo doing these days? Keeping them established as the next best side behind the big two for 10 years + is a big credit by itself, but with the second title in 20-21 his success there has to be viewed as bigger than that.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Simeone may be doing as well as reasonably possible, but I still don’t like him!

Thank you ROTW for restoring my faith in Amorim :smiley:

3 Likes

Bayer Leverkusen currently losing at home to Hoffenheim. Looks like we dodged a bullet there folks.

1 Like

Noticed Lisbon won yesterday… maybe our goodwill shifted :joy:

Yep.

Well and truly dodged.

2 goals at the end of 90. It’s like we have been all season.

1 Like