The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Last season and the changes.

I’m not sure if he would have stayed if we didn’t look as well as we did but he has made a point of that in both his conferences.

He doesn’t speak English. That could be a problem I think.

Credit to what he’s done there, but he uses the word Mate way too much. Like someone who is trying way to hard to appear “authentic.”

its a no from me dawg GIF

I kind of feel this is done already and I am pretty sure it’s 90% Alonso.

I just hope both us and them finish well.

1 Like

As long as he understands Scouse, he’ll be fine.

1 Like

I remember reading this (posted 10th Jan) and thinking, one day……

And it’s not to celebrate…its to ease the pain of Jurgen’s announcement…

Three years ago I’d have said SG. But failure at Villa and Al whatever, kinda rules him out. Alonso still raw but knows Liverpool and was an intelligent player. His track record in management looks v. good. My money is on him.

2 Likes

Alonso - can go in the higher candidate category, but not necessarily such an outstanding one without even thinking really well about other options. I’d be very careful with this hype around him so early in his senior career. We all like him, lots of us have a man crush on him, but some of the reasons why a lot of people would go for him (especially the great “links with Liverpool” and the fact that he’s Mr. Cool) are vastly overrated.

Emery - no thanks. Might earn himself another chance at a level of the previous clubs like Arsenal and PSG. Overall, not enough for us, I’d comfortably skip him. Don’t want to bother with his limits of building a protagonist football team where there’s expectation to win and certain other barriers. More suited to a Villa level.

Lijnders - no thanks. He’s leaving anyway. Think there’s a good reason why all the staff are leaving already (without being open to continue working with a new man/staff) and it’s not necessarily a compliment to the club and how we’re operating lately.

Zerbi - interesting one for sure, can go in the candidate group like Xabi. A little bit on the radical side tactically, likes man to man defending. Would be very interesting to see if he would keep that. Unsure if that’s the way forward at a side that (hopefully) wants to compete and win. Question marks over his behaviour and also language (that can improve a bit). City have him in mind as an option after Pep.

Gerrard - no thanks, at least not now and it seems for the near future. Could’ve been different until a while ago, but he’s gone a different path and the chances are smaller than before of it ever happening.

Mourinho - maybe it would sound crazy to some, but I wouldn’t oppose the idea until a while ago. Purely objectivelly speaking. But of course there are many reasons why it’ll be a no go. Just as an added comment, you’d hope we can be linked with such names in different times in history. 2004 we were chasing Mourinho and then Benitez. 2015 our main two options were Klopp and Ancelotti.

Ancelotti - as long as he’s still winning at the top level, you cannot oppose it. Staying at Real, doubt he’s coming back to England, this might be his final few years in the job. Would’ve love to have him at different times. Perhaps more suited to sides that are ready to win immediately or soon. We’re much better than in 2015 of course. I don’t want us to lower our expectations, this club needs to aim to stay competitive and win.

Zidane - no thanks. There are probably very good reasons why the footballing world isn’t killing each other to appoint the great Zizou for nearly 3 years now. And it’s not all down to the fact that he was a great player, he’s won everything with the biggest club in the world. Doesn’t have to rush anything, doesn’t have to prove much, he can wait and pick what he wants to do. Possibly takeover France at some point or a club in France or Italy.

Postecoglou - positive, though very small sample at Spurs, why would he change anyway. No point talking about it now. Would be a big surprise if it happened before Spurs, now he has a project there. Non topic.

Fully agree

Don’t know.

It’s certainly not such a promising situation like when we brought Klopp. Alonso cannot go in the same category as him. Not even when we brought Rafa.

Will think about it of course in coming weeks and months, also when we get more info what’s possible and what’s not.

I like how Alonso went to Real Sociedad B and then stuck it out for a season in Segunda when clubs were swarming.

He also came into Leverkusen and turned them around impressively. He comes with that has he done adversity which is a fair comment but it’s not hype. I think he suits us and would at this moment suit us.

2 Likes

Would never appoint Ange after what he did with Spurs in their home game against Chelsea earlier in the season. Suicidal tactics.

I wouldn’t appoint him because he’s nowhere near good enough for a club of our stature.

7 Likes

Choosing a new manager raises more questions than answers. We overestimated Souness which led to an extended period of decline. Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier did well but were up against some great teams - Arsenal, Man U & Chelski.

Above all else the manager needs to get the club and the fans. He/she needs to be intelligent, reflective, tactically astute and able to get the best from our players, amongst many other things. It is a collosal task of which only a very few are suitable. Although there is no Klopp clone, I believe Alonso ticks many boxes. His major issue is the lack of proven managerial success trophy wise.

She?

:joy:

Yeah, well done you.

1 Like

Does he speak Scottish?

1 Like