The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Are there any left field options?

There seems to be a couple of obvious choices but otherwise it feels like slim pickings.

We’re still waiting for the classic Martin O’Neill, Alan Curbishley and Jurgen Klinsmann links from the past.

:joy:

Saw this guy mentioned…

He’s done well at Lisbon.

1 Like

No thanks to the fat over rated Aussie and his car crash football.
De Zerbi potentially the Italian Potter - Don’t want to find out here thanks.
Xabi - Fuck yes, I’d walk to Germany and carry him to Liverpool.

If we don’t/can’t get Xabi, then a stop gap for a year.

"Whatever will happen in the future I don’t know now, but no club, no country, for the next year, and no other English club ever.

“I can promise that. Even if I have nothing to eat that will not happen.”

Club should learn from not giving Kenny the option to take a year out in 1991

2 Likes

Problem is who do we go eh fancy doing it for a year?

He’s probably told the club he’s heading back to Germany.

Hi.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t mind Rafa starting a few wars inside the club.

Feels like we need it.

:heart_eyes:

Since Klopp had to do more and more, give Rafa full dictatorship.

We must improve.

He’s older than Klopp! No fucking way

Well if that’s the case then a hard no.

Leverkusen plays a much different style than we do. Possibly simply out of necessity. But Klopp’s Liverpool has been built in his image. It would be interesting to see if Xabi can adapt his tactics to these players.

One possible bonus would be this title run. Effectively you have little room for manoeuvre against Bayern (though they have got themselves a bit of space at the top).

He will need the same mindset here.

@JU97ICE You enormously, enormous, utter dickhead arsehole.

Don’t think Tuchel will be at Bayern after the summer. Was never going to work out and the situation is pretty toxic.

Highly doubt Liverpool will look at Tuchel.

Good news is that Alonso wouldn’t be Bayerns only option.

They can bring back Hansi Flick (won 7 trophies in 1,5 years with them but then took over the national team - free at the moment)

Or they can bring back Julian Nagelsmann who is likely to leave the German national team after the EUROs. Did not get along with Kahn and Salihamidzic but they are not at Bayern anymore.

Unfortunately I think Liverpool will also think about Nagelsmann but I pray to god that it won’t happen. Hate him.

https://twitter.com/GeorgieGirlLvp/status/1750854528151306602?t=kYagbAi5TztW5ilUHFbxDQ&s=19

Of the possible choices off the top of my head:

1. Alonso
  2. De Zerbi (some distance behind)
  3. Postecoglu
  4. Emery

There are other names to pad the list out, but really it is Alonso, all day long.

The main downside is the relative lack of experience, but the old player adage rings true, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

He has a serenity about him, and he comes across as a leader of men, with innovative ideas about the attacking game he wants to play.

He gets the club and was a big hit as a player during his time here.

He would inherit a great squad, and like any manager he might want to make one or two of his own additions, for example, maybe Wirtz could solve the Salah conundrum if Mo decides it is time to move on.

I can try to make a case for the other managers on the list above, but all the signs point to Xabi Alonso.

We should run the process and evaluate all options, but I think it will end in Xabi Alonso.

In the meantime, I wish him every success with what he’s doing at Bayer Leverkusen, and the agenda, in keeping with Klopp’s wishes, is that after this news is digested, we get back to focusing on the rest of the season, as there’s a hell of a lot to play for.

The Prem title was brilliant, but at the same time sad that it happened behind closed doors under a covid cloud.

Another Prem title, with Klopp signing off on the top of an open bus, in front of 1M+ Liverpool fans who all came out to say thank you? That would be the dream.

In fact, I just had a brief conversation with Mrs ROTW to say we are flying back to England to be part of that, if it happens.

7 Likes

Yeah if we have a parade I’ll be up for it.

1 Like

Even before Gerrards managerial career started I’ve said that I don’t want him as our manager. Can not even really explain why.

Funny thing is I actually believe had he made some good choices post Villa (maybe going back to Scotland or working as an assistant somewhere) he’d be one of the Top5 candidates to replace Jürgen.

3 Likes

My feeling is that the next manager, coaching team, and director of football has already been decided.

I suspect that this information would have leaked out shortly amd hence today’s announcements.

My guess is that director of football will be announced first. If the coach is at another club at the moment, all parties will want to keep this confidential until replacements have been finalised. Of course, this may have happened.

5 Likes

I’ve got that feeling as well.

1 Like

I don’t have that feeling.