The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Leverkusen were 17th when Xabi took over, and now 4 points clear at the top. As someone else said, he has a confidence and serenity about him.

The only one who could soften the blow

6 Likes

Is @melissareddy xabi alonso’s agent?

Why today’s announcements then? I could see that a journalist might have scooped the thing and they were owning the story but it all feels too coordinated. I’m still not sure of the timing, though.

2 Likes

Not sure why she would know much at this club.

Also I can’t see them appointing De Zerbi.

She used to be very good then she went to Sky and we didn’t bother feeding her anything after that.

1 Like

Thought she was Sadio’s girlfriend…but obviously not…

2 Likes

Because I’m a cynical old git too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/1750956776277876864?s=46&t=WmjWm_FqqFdVHHP8b7dN9A

1 Like

Xabis father was also a footballer and manager.

Xabi played under some of the greatest managers of all time.

Won everything with Clubs and Country.

He speaks Spanish, English and German which can be very useful.

He surely has already built a huge international network which will help to identify and bring in good young players.

Think as a player he was one of the most respected of his generation in world football.

15 Likes

Any new manager will have to understand and work with the same ethos of the club. So he will not be coming to do a huge overhaul of players. He will need to believe in coaching players to punch above their weight not just to buy our way through. He will need to be a people person. What pressure to take over from a legend. Seriously, no one in the world looks good enough because Klopp is more than just a football manager

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/XabiAlonso/status/652455226809696257

It’s your time, Mr. Alonso.

12 Likes

No, but you’re kidding yourself if you don’t see it. Zidane and Abdulaziz clearly have a very cozy relationship.

I’m the same and I suspect it’s ego related, and I don’t really have any substance to support that, it’s just strong intuition.

2 Likes

El Cholo is the only option who’s proved consistently that he can win trophies on the same or lesser budget in a similarly skewed league.

Tell me when I’m lying.

Fx Networks Cooking GIF by The Bear

6 Likes

The way I see the timing is that once the decision has been made, moves need to be made. Lots of moves, personal and professional, not just at our club but also other clubs too, once you consider the new manager, new coaching team, new Sporting Director if we do that…

Which makes it all but impossible to keep the situation under wraps.

So, get ahead of the news. Announce it. Get through the shock and the fuss, then knuckle down for the rest of the season.

We will have an emotional farewell later, hopefully a trophy laden one too. I see this as Klopp and the club exercising good leadership.

2 Likes

Hope the constant speculation doesn’t derail Leverkusens season. Poor Xabi will be inundated by the media. Would love them to win the title over Bayern and that dick Tuchel.

11 Likes

I saw ain interview with Thomas Tuchel, he has gone so old and he is younger than Ĵürgen!!

I don’t care about Alonso’s age or experience. He’d be coming in on a long term contract and given time to develop.

We are a project club, we don’t suit the established names like Conte, Tuchel etc.

Besides Arteta hadn’t even managed before taking the Arsenal job and that’s gone fine for him.

13 Likes

The thought of him managing our club makes me nauseous.

3 Likes

Why?

Who the hell is El Cholo?

1 Like