The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

My personal take is that Mo will be sold for silly cash and that cash will buy 2 or even 3 top class players to compliment the new manager’s system. Make that 2 players if one of them is a striker - logical. They always cost more.

I was disrespecting Mo at all. If it read that way I am sorry.

What I meant was I could see the club selling for the right price. Give the new man some money and a decent reason to start slow with a small rebuild.

:grimacing:

@cynicaloldgit is losing his shit right now!

2 Likes

I can’t believe anyone would want a cunt like Simeone at our club? Is this actually a thing or is it an in-joke that I’m not privy to? Simeone? That cunt from Atletico Madrid? That Simeone?

4 Likes

I think the club is fine to give a new manager a signing or two without selling Mo. I don’t think that this club is in need of that scale of investment regardless of who takes over.

On Mo, he will go when he wants to, and I think the smart move on his part is still to see out his contract and then trouser an enormous signing on fee to see out the remainder of his serious career somewhere like Germany or Spain, before going to semi-retirement in the MLS.

Personally, I can see the club looking to extend him for another two years. He is still delivering at the highest level (he scored the winner on Sunday) and he is incredibly fit.

3 Likes
1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1775127539003916453

1 Like

In other words, no one outside the club knows anything, really.

6 Likes
1 Like

Have I misunderstood the point at 3:30 about Amorim will not want names given to him to sign, but the players he puts forward?

Fixed

This is starting to get ugly. We’re going to be so screwed without Klopp

Nah; the club will recruit the TAN Brains Trust to manage the club.

Quadruple upcoming.

4 Likes

This is more likely:

Falling Down Oops GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead

Fuck it. Give the job to ChatGPT. What’s the worst that could happen.

3 Likes

Less of the doom and gloom. It’s an article about Barcelona potentially liking Amorim, nothing has happened.

Regardless we don’t even know that we want Amorim. His name has been thrown about but no disrespect to him going from Sporting to Liverpool is a hell of a jump.

Personally I think we are going to end up with someone who isn’t really a “project manager” yet. I could see a more established name get a two year contract. Someone who can keep the squad ticking over, keep us competitive for trophies, leave the squad in a healthy way and in the meantime we continue to look for someone to emerge as a stand out candidate. Could be Alonso, could be Amorim, could be someone else.

With Alonso out of the picture I don’t think the hire after Klopp is going to be the guy who gets a long term project here. That feels like something now reserved for the guy after the guy after Klopp. The other candidates just don’t measure up.

Throwing a name or two out without much thought but maybe Julian Lopetegui or Hansi Flick being up for a couple of years of working with one of the best squads in the world and, as far as I am aware, neither have a big history of rocking the boat too much and have good relations with their players. Both have a little bit of damage to their reputation in recent years that a trophy or two at Liverpool would quickly repair.

If there is no outstanding option available - and I am unconvinced that Amorim is one right now - then it makes sense to bring in someone with a clear short term mandate who will help to oversee the transition in the right way while we continue to look for the right man to emerge.

2 Likes

I think it’ll be between Amorim and Nagelsmann, so I’m not too worried at the moment.

I also think at this point, we would’ve received assurances from those on the shortlist that they want the job in the first place, and are more than keen.

That depends on who we put forward to be part of the brains trust. If @SBYM is anywhere even remotely close to those discussions, we’re fucked

I think it has been said about Klopp that towards the end of his career he would like to manage the German national team and have a pundit role on TV, so I would be minded to think Nagelsmann could be on a shortlist if past transgressions haven’t ruled him out completely.

1 Like