The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

True, but at least he’ll ensure that all the en dashes are correctly spaced… when he isn’t knocking one out over Goldbridge.

1 Like

I’m starting to go off Amorim if I’m perfectly honest. For all the talk of his communication skills etc it feels like every day there’s another red flag that puts me off:

• no experience outside of Portugal
  • has only ever played 3 at the back systems (which I don’t feel suits us)
  • expensive to hire (30m release clause, potentially as low as 20m if you believe Sky journalist)
  • again according to the Sky Portuguese correspondant, has no interest in working alongside a transfer committee to determine targets, instead would insist on signing his own targets regardless of cost

I think it’s too early in his management career, with too small of a sample size to determine his suitability, for him to be given the keys to the kingdom imho.

4 Likes

In all honesty, it doesn’t matter that much to me if it’s Alonso, Amorim, De Zerbi, Nagelsmann or whoever. I hope that the club makes the right appointment but whoever it is, he’s bound to be worse than Klopp.

This is probably the hardest job in world football and I just can’t see the new guy maintaining Klopp’s standards.

Your thought about the club getting someone to keep the team ticking over for a year or two makes a lot of sense too. Wishful thinking, but I wouldn’t mind that happening provided he turned it back over to a rejuvenated Klopp for a second run.

2 Likes

If the club are convinced he is the right man, that fee is irrelevant.

Any coach should be looking at this squad and salivating at the prospect of working to develop this young, hungry squad of exceptional talents.

3 Likes

On paper, Nagelsmann would be a solid appointment. He’s 36 years old (37 in July), has already won a Bundesliga with Bayern, now managing the National Team, He was 29 when he took over at Hoffenheim. He gets stick for the way he set up against us in the CL, but the guy was only 30. He has 9 years of management experience at the top level, and he’s in his late 30’s. I’m warming to him, although, like you say, his past transgressions are something that may well count against him.

2 Likes

It’s more about the overall picture rather than just one element of it. It’s an aggregation of things.

Nevertheless, I feel like a club might be more keen to stick with a wrong appointment if it had cost them a lot in the first place.

1 Like

True, but it doesn’t mean that he would be as good at it as Klopp.

1 Like

Limited experience? Ideologically committed? Antagonistic to a transfer committee? Has a bit of a familiar smell…

LMAO… I made this exact comparison (elsewhere) earlier today :joy:

I find it hard to believe anyone on the manager shortlist would be antagonistic to working with a recruitment team. I just don’t think FSG would ever go their again.

Edwards and Hughes are not going to appoint soneone who will then immediate expect to bypass their processes.

3 Likes

I’ve never been against that idea. There just isn’t really anyone out there who could do that IMO. If Ancelotti was free, then he would’ve been perfect. I would’ve argued Zidane as well, but he doesn’t seem keen to jump back into club football, and is seemingly hell bent on waiting for the France job.

I don’t think we’re quite there yet in terms of needing a “sacrificial” manager post-Klopp. I did read a suggestion about Xavi from Barcelona if we can’t secure a long term project i.e. Alonso (written before his decision to stay at Leverkusen), Amorim, Nagelsmann, which I thought was an interesting proposition.

1 Like

I would hope not, but I’m not making it up:

Not an achievement. At Bayern , you are expected to win the League.

He might be a coach who’s got more maturity now , but someone who’s not good enough for Bayern isn’t good enough for Liverpool.

3 Likes

True, but given his youth, he could’ve easily been swallowed up by the job, and the big players around him. We’ll see if he’s not good enough for Bayern, given there’s talk about him going back there after the Euros.

Of the current candidates, and assuming that, as it appears, Xabi is off the table, Nagelsmann is probably my preferred candidate for the job.

Really don’t feel Amorim sounds like the right fit and not overly convinced by De Zerbi.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a nonsense story, Amorin is working with a team and with what he gets, and he is apparently great in developing youth players. And season after season their better players got sold similar to Klopps Dortmund tbf. So there are some similarities. And Klopp had no outside experience apart from Germany, Nagelsmann either tbf, that’s what you get with young managers.

The 30 mio Euro release clause is only for Portuguese clubs, 20 mio Euro is for the others.

3 Likes

On the Amorim release clause, we have heard 30M dropping to 20M, and David Ornstein above said his information was that it would be close to 10M.

If he is seen as the right choice, we will pay the money regardless, but it would appear to be a lower amount that first mooted.

As for Amorim, as soon as everyone starts to talk, the waters muddy somewhat. For example, what would he be like in terms of recruitment? The Portuguese journalist above seems to think that he would be quite bellicose in insisting on his own players, and disregarding the input of others.

I’m not ready to believe that, and I think something has been lost in translation.

If Amorim is interviewed, and anyone for that matter, the process for recruitment will be outlined so that it is very clear for any incoming manager. And if the way they want to work is significantly out of step with how Edwards and Hughes will do it, then we won’t hire them, and rightly so.

My strong suspicion is that this won’t be an issue for Amorim. I expect recruitment to work in a multi-faceted way, with scouting and data giving lots of information about the type, or the options, for whatever position is being sought. It will all be put before the manager for his input. It’s not that he is going to be stuck with players he doesn’t want, but neither will he be able to - Harry Redknapp style - phone up his mates on a nod and a wink to do them a solid by signing whoever he fancies.

It will be a professional and collegiate approach, with budget/executive approval, backed by data, scouting, plus any other info about character, chemistry, maturity, etc. PLUS of course the approval of the manager in all of this.

7 Likes

I am weary of Nagelsmann as he is another in the now long line of Germanic managers (I think Favre is Swiss) touted as the next klopp but who, understandably, dont live up to the comparison in terms of effectivenss - Tuchel, Favre, Rose, the guy from southampton, Nagglesman.

I accept that is a surface level evaluation, but I cannot shake it

1 Like

There is no next Klopp in Germany, that’s ridiculous. And Amorim isn’t the next Jose Morinho either.

I think we shouldn’t look at nationalities.

7 Likes