The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Detailed two-part breakdown of Amirom’s tactics and performance at Sporting: Evaluating Ruben Amorim’s Game Model: Can He Make The Jump? – Part 1 | Third Man Runs

It’s still not selling him to me though, tbh. But perhaps an interesting launching off point for discussion of his suitability for LFC.

A name that came up earlier, which I’ve not heard before but could be an interesting one - Thomas Frank. Working with an extremely limited budget, has done a minor miracle at Brentford whilst still playing some nice looking football.

My 1 concern would be his lack of experience when it comes to dealing with expectation of the club and supporter base which if you’re not prepared for it, could easily swallow you up and how would he deal with the egos of far bigger reputation players than what he has delt with so far?

1 Like

I think this is why, of the current names, Nagelsmann appeals to me the most - despite his young age he has experience of dealing with big names and bigger egos, and his own failures as well as successes have likely tempered him. He’s been at or near the top of the game for years more than relative newcomers like Amorim, who could as easily end up an AVB as a Mourinho (in terms of achievement, not personality)

1 Like

I also feel like we’re going to hear of a lot more names over the coming weeks and months, Edwards supposedly working from a pretty long list, and expect more names to fall by the wayside as others get speculated about in the press.

I don’t think Nagelsmann could be convinced to work with a transfer committee in which he has no say, i remember him saying in an interview, that he doesn’t want to be just a marionette in a club.

I’m not sure of what he said exactly, but at Liverpool it’s not a case of being given players you didn’t ask for, the ideal is for the coach to be involved in the process

2 Likes

Maybe i will watch a bit of Sporting later, there is a Portuguese Cup game this evening vs Benfica. Just to have a look how they’re doing.

1 Like

Dammit… he’s rumbled us…run

:grimacing:

I thought the phrase “I don’t want to be a marionette” was extrem, that’s why I remember it. Maybe he had bad experiences with that. I think he was more concerned not getting reinforcements in positions, that he believes are necessary to be successful etc.

2 Likes

No RDZ, Frank, Emeri for me.

Surely not going to happen but I’d take Ange Postecoglou ahead of them. Think his first season at Spurs goes under the radar.

1,93 points per game is better than what they had in the last 5 years. Think the same goes for 2,1 goals scored per game - who would have thought that would be possible without Harry Kane. He also had to deal with many injuries and suspensions.

Think he has a good idea about football. Improved many of his players or at least gets the best out of them. He’s a likeable bloke but has a natural authority about him.

He’s also a Liverpool fan.

#ANGELiverpool

Spoiler

By the way I expect them to drop points tonight but that wouldn’t change my opinion about him

3 Likes

I think you misunderstand me. I am not trying to find the next klopp, but arguing against trying to find the guy who has some of his characteristics in the hope that will allow a continuation of the project. That never works.

In football there a tendency when a manager is succesful to try to brand up and coming managers in that other guy’s image. At least from the outside, we saw a succession of managers in Germany identified as Klopplike, simply because they had some superficial things in common - passion, high octane football etc. Dortmund seemed to hire 3 or 4 of them in a row without ever coming close to replicating Klopp’s actual effect.

While acknowledging that it might be unfair to piegeon hole nagglesman as being in that group, my point was I cannot shake that he is and so would prefer someone to be completely his own man with his different way of doing things than find someone who is just an ersatz Klopp. For me, that was one of the biggest attractions of Xabi.

3 Likes

Well, i get it. Imo they haven’t really much in common apart from being German and being a bit crazy in the coaching zone. The rest is just hearsay, prejudices or wishful thinking.

But that’s the reason, why I am so afraid of getting Tuchel as our new manager tbh, that would be a nightmare.

Meanwhile I am warming up a bit to Amorim, and I am open to a fresh start, maybe even a new system as well, as long as it fits our players.

3 Likes

In that case, I feel compelled to compose a song:

When Darwin hits post
With a huge thunderbolt
That’s Amorim

When the sky starts to fall
And Joe shoooooots the ball
That’s Amorim

3 Likes

I like that version :grin: :+1:t4:

Just suppose, say if Amorim says he wants to do another year at Sporting Lisbon, then what?

Who do we have left on the TAN list?

1 Like

Pepjin Ljinders while Klopp takes a year off to recharge his batteries.

Say he takes the Ajax job?

I know this sounds barking mad, if i mentioned the next name…he’s abit controversial, but he is a very nice man outside of football and I think he secretly loves Liverpool…José Mourinho, he’s a very experienced & high level Champions league level manager, who does short term contracts anyway.:grimacing::face_with_peeking_eye:

James Milner then. I think the post of player manager would appeal to him. Even if it’s for a year.

Seriously speaking though , I can’t think of any candidates beyond Xabi. People who follow Portugese football speak highly of Amorim though. Either him or RDZ should be fine.

The Luton guy’s probably too raw and new to managing a big club like Liverpool and the expectations that come with it but he seems to be a good positive manager.

Maresca might be worth a shout but it’s again far too early.

1 Like

Nah. If we are going to dinosaurs , might as well give it to Rafa.

3 Likes

I’m with you on Tuchel, don’t want him anywhere near the club

3 Likes

He’s not coming back, he is just building a new home nearby his family in Wiesbaden. We have to accept his decision as sad as it is.

I tent to believe he will manage the German national team at some point and stay in Germany.

8 Likes