The Liverpool Guide Thread

Loved the Maritime Museum, though it also depends if a certain field interests you. I’m interested in maritime stuff all my life, coming originally from a small island, so I really enjoyed it. Might go back again, next time alone.

Museum of Liverpool (I think that’s the one, they’re all so near so it’s easy to confuse what’s what) was also good. When I visited, it was something dedicated to John Lennon (great story how George Sephton played Imagine after YNWA post-Barca, I was in tears on the Kop).

Beatles Story was a bit more meh to me, I only went because my friends went. Sometimes it’s better to go alone to certain places if you really want to enjoy calmly and not have that “rushing” feeling because of other people.

Loved going for spontaneous walks in the morning, especially when you have a bit of free time and not a fully packed schedule. The longest I’ve been in Liverpool was for 10 days (and wish it was 10 more!) and it was the best time. No rush, totally relaxed, you forget about what day it is, time and can fully feel the city.

Place must be bouncing even more now with Eurosong going on. Looking back now, maybe I should’ve went. Bit of a unique opportunity. Didn’t go this season.

Will wait to see what the team hopefully qualifies for in Europe next season, what’s the group draw in August and then visit Liverpool again soon.

1 Like

@sandsoftime, I am not that old, I was born well after the war :smiley:

I am bit panicky because he’s given me 10 days notice :see_no_evil: :grimacing:
He’s going to Manchester as well. He knows there is abit rivalry between the two cities. I hope he doesn’t say anything controversial.

Any do’s and don’ts for the tourists when meeting the locals, in case, we don’t want to get arrested.

The two cathedrals, are they both walking distance from the city centre?

Also, where are those famous LFC murals I see on Instagram?

Anything in the Baltic Triangle?

1 Like

One of the murals is in the baltic triangle (Klopp, Jamaica street iirc). Trent’s is by Anfield.

The cathedrals are walking distance, yes, but it might take you 25-30 mins depending on where you’re staying.

1 Like

Cheers @ILLOK.
Looking at hotels now

Here , let Michael Head take you on a little bus ride round Liverpool.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am in Singapore right now

I have narrowed it down, I am rubbish at booking holidays or finding bargains :see_no_evil:

Hilton
Marriott
Baltic hotel
Holiday Inn
Hotel Indigo
Leonardo Hotel
Radisson
Ibis Hotel

Suggestion by my Red Manc relative ( family lazy Reds football fans, she is not into football, more fashion and art) and her Scouse mate recommended these two

62 Castle Street Hotel
Lock and Key Boutique hotel -15-17 Duke street

1 Like

I know this is going back a bit but it’s an interesting question. I’m Liverpool born but not exactly bred as my parents families had come from Scotland, Wales and Ireland: which is probably pretty typical as I don’t think Liverpool strictly has a native population as such.

As for whether I thought I would return, I probably did but since leaving in the 1980s I’ve ended up further and further away.

I still have my elderly mother and miserable bastard Evertonian brother who live there (or, at least on the Wirral) so I tend to visit at least once a year.

I’ll have to keep tabs on this thread for “things to do” ideas. I know my son wants to have a tour of all the locations they used in Doctor Who. Certainly, I’ve never visited the Williamson Tunnels so that would be interesting for me.

1 Like

Hi Maria… I’m not the best person to help with the Hotel choice I’m afraid, because it is a tricky one to get right, and getting it wrong, well, it could spoil your stay…
Unless of course you are treating your visit as some would an away game. In like, are you asking which is the easiest one to ‘bunk’ into…
You know how it gets done… book a single room, but sneak about 10 of your mates in as well to save money… Is that what you asking here…?? :rofl:

I managed to book a hotel now in Duke Street, the Boutique hotel, I got to 2 mancunians coming with me, one of them staying with me. The reviews say the location is excellent, 12-15 minutes walk from Lime Street station and the hotel has nice reviews, but they have CCTV checking who comes in and out. Its 12 minutes from Liverpool cathedral and it is near Chinatown I think and not far from the Georgian quarter.

I will find out when I get there.

2 Likes

Outside the Liverbird building. It was a beautifully sunny day. There were alot of events going on around the city today. We spent alot of the time on the waterfront soaking up the atmosphere and walking through the the pedestrianised shopping areas, chatting to Armed Forces personnel as it was the Battle of the Atlantic. I got to touch the buttons on a Euro jet fighter and hold an SA80, see a flypast, have an ice cream from the ice cream van and have my picture taken with the fab four Had dinner in Bold Street, walked to St Lukes church. My flipping phone died and the everyone was so friendly helping with directions.
It was so ironic, I was asking directions for Bold Street and i saw this guy in his late 50s, i thought he was a Scouser, when he was telling me directions, i asked him, was he from London, he said yes from Acton, Ealing area! lol. He was with his Scouser wife. He has been living in Liverpool for 16 years.
He said there were quite a few Londoners who moved to Liverpool. We got chatting, they advised me to go to New Brighton instead of Birkenhead. They were so kind, they actually walked me most of the way to my hotel.

I never walked so much in my life got sore feet, it was worth it. Liverpool has changed alot since 2011. So many places to eat and from foods from all over the world. Alot of buildings being built, a blend of new modern buildings blending with the historical buildings.
Tomorrow, sightseeing on the bus and boat ride on the mersey.

5 Likes

Brilliant - Well Done You :0)

2 Likes

I am knackered! Lol!

I have done 3 tours in one day today.

1-Hop on, hop off city tour. The tour guide got on my nerves, he said Robbie fowler went to the dark side, hardly mentioned Anfield and omitted Curtis Jones as most famous people from Toxeth, i had to correct him, he smiled said he forgot, what a bitter. He was talking how amazing the Everton stadium will be.

Break for lunch

2-Beatles tour- this is better than magical mystery one, the bus was open top. The lovely guide Chris, from Bootle, his mum was mates with Cilla Black and his always used visit the Cavern and remembers the Beatles when they were the Quarrymen.
His mum went out with Marty Wilde before he was famous, but left him because he could’nt dance and married a docker.

It was a good 2 hour tour.
It was so beautiful stopping at all the places, the Beatles houses, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields etc. I liked Paul’s house and Stuart Sutcliffe’s house.
I loved Sefton park. It is huge. I want to live there. I loved Allerton. I want to live there too. I saw the sign for Woolton and i thought of WooltenRed.
Liverpool is sooo green. I thought Ealing was, with our share of parks, but Liverpool wins hands down on green spaces.
This was my favourite bus ride.
Chris and Dennis were the best guides, so witty. They were impressed with me when i said it was a “boss tour”. The tour bus was packed.

3- The Ferry ride across the Mersey was spectacular. You can get the best view of Liverpool from Secombe Ferry terminal. Really liked New Brighton of what i could see. This is a must do, to get good pictures of the city.

Tomorrow, am going to the house of worship and pray we do well next season and do the Anfield tour.

Edit: I forgot, I love Mossley Hill, I want to live there. I didn’t know Freddie Mecury lived in Penny Lane in The Dovedale Towers pub, before he found fame with Queen.

2 Likes

If you get an all zones Saveaway ticket, this includes the ferries as well as the buses and trains.

The only thing was the last time I used it, it didn’t stop at Woodside so we ended up having a nice tour, a cup of coffee and then had to get the underground back to Hamilton Square.

Having said that, the ferry is really worthwhile for any visit. The coffee is nice too.

2 Likes

I think the Ferry ride is a ‘must do’ tour for any visitor. I was sooo lucky, the weather was like Mediterranean sunshine. Everyone was out and about. I was relaxing on the waterfront alot, so many people jogging, riding bikes, walking the dogs. I had so many ice creams from the van! Lol!
This could be any Mediterranean place. There was such a buzz around the place.

I couldn’t get over Londoner giving directions in Liverpool!! And he’s west Londoner too!! Lol!

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of me Maria, that is where I live. Try to visit the Anglican Cathedral before you leave, it is the most amazing building. And there is a connection between the cathedral and the old red telephone boxes. I’ll leave you to work that one out.

2 Likes

Chris mentioned that on the tour. I am trying to remember what he said.

I am leaving tomorrow evening. I feel sad, but got to get home to reality.

However, i am coming back to do more touring with my London cousins. I never got to do the Mersey or Wallasy tunnel on the bus or go to New Brighton.

They were impressed with my photography. I wanted to take more photos from the Ferry, but my phone battery died at the wrong moment. This was the last photo before the phone died on me.

3 Likes

Now I remember @WooltonRed , Sir Gilbert Scott who designed the Anglican cathedral was the person who designed the iconic Red Telephone box to commemorate the jubilee of King George.

I will try and go inside tomorrow.i saw it from the outside and took a picture.

3 Likes

I learnt alot of history of this region on this trip. I always thought there was only one Liverbird, but there are two. The female one looks out to sea to look for the sailors to ensure their safe return and the other male liverbird looks inland to guard the city and look after the seamen’s family, but the guide digressed abit and said to catch the sailors in the pub. :laughing:

Legend has it, if the two liverbirds were taken away, the city would cease to exist.

2 Likes