The Liverpool Guide Thread

I’m in Liverpool at the end of March for a gig at the O2 Academy. Will be staying over nearby. Can anyone recommend a good Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi restaurant that’s open late on a Saturday night? Cheers!

1 Like

Sanskruti. Not sure about opening hours though.

1 Like

Closes at 10. Don’t think I’ll be able to make it there for then :frowning: Looks the bollocks though :+1:

You can now get a selfie printed on a pint of Guinness in Liverpool

A selfie in foam is made with natural malt extract that is added to the top of the pint

Guinness lovers can now get their face printed on the top of a pint in Liverpool.

The personalised pint, which has been coined the STOUTie, allows drinkers to add a picture of their choice onto a pint. They’re available in Scruffy Murphy’s in both venues on Harrington Street and Rainford Gardens, just in time for St Patrick’s Day.

2 Likes

I mean that has to be an improvement over the dicks who draw a little shamrock on your pint.

1 Like

hey! easy now, takes some time to learn that one.

The Beatles festival is being held again over the August Bank Holiday, after an absence of 10yrs. Some of the acts are beginning to be announced - Not sure how old The Jacksons are now, but they must still be singing…!!

The Jacksons to play at Mathew Street Festival celebration on Pier Head

The Jacksons, Lightning Seeds and Holly Johnson of Frankie Goes to Hollywood will perform at the August bank holiday festival

The Jacksons have been announced as headliners at this year’s freshly announced tribute to Mathew Street Festival on bank holiday weekend.

The band will perform alongside Boyzlife, Holly Johnson, the Lightning Seeds and more at the Pier Head as part of the new-look Mathew Street Festival celebration. Liverpool Celebrates, which has partnered with The Mathew Street Festival team to bring the iconic event back to the city, announced some of the line-up as tickets went on sale today on Friday, March 1.

Holly Johnson, lead singer of Frankie Goes to Hollywood, will perform iconic hits including Relax, Two Tribes and The Power of Love on a huge opening night at the Pier Head on Friday, August 23. The Lightning Seeds, Space, China Crisis and local emerging stars are also on the bill for a night of music celebrating Liverpool artists.

The Jacksons, made up of brothers Jackie, Tito and Marlon Jackson, will headline the Saturday, August 24, joined by a spectacular 10 piece live band. They will perform legendary tracks such as Blame It On The Boogie, I Want You Back, ABC and Can You Feel It.

On Sunday, August 25, honouring the legacy of Mathew Street Festival, the Cavern Club Beatles will headline alongside tribute acts for Abba, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen and The Doors.

The Cavern Takeover on Bank Holiday Monday features Adele, The Who, Elton John, Oasis, The Rolling Stones and Dios Salve A La Reina - God Save the Queen - a celebrated Queen tribute act who have been flown in from Argentina to feature at the festival.

Steven Fletcher at Liverpool Celebrates said: "We are proud to announce a line-up which not only pays tribute to The Mathew Street Festival but also welcomes iconic, international groups such as The Jacksons back to Liverpool as well as a brilliant blend of local talent.

"The Jacksons are returning to the city for the first time in almost 50 years while Dios Salve A La Reina were show-stoppers at the last Mathew Street Festival in 2013. There will also be opportunities for emerging artists to perform at the festival, and we will be hosting opportunities for performers to earn the chance to take to the main stage across the weekend."

1 Like

Also posted in the Liverpool History thread…

Things you could do in the 1970s you can’t anymore (msn.com)

1 Like

https://x.com/LiverpoolVista/status/1768707828418560439?t=CVZIHGSCCs8g605QdB_f_w&s=09

This is so cool. I could recognise landmarks from 2 minutes onwards.
Any of you Scousers recognise all of it, apart from the famous iconic landmarks?

1 Like

I remember bits of it, green shield stamps :joy:, yes, The Liverbirds, mum loved it, i remember Sandra and Beryl,:heart_eyes: and the brother with the rabbits and Radio Rentals!:grinning:

https://x.com/TheGuideLpool/status/1768559898495709239?t=8D20pMMBtgameAAZu6mVBw&s=09

I drove through Sefton, saw the park and I really liked the area, very leafy, abit like Richmond, London.

What’s it like living there, asking for a friend?:smiley:

What is Chester like and how far is it away from Liverpool?

2 Likes

I have friends who lived in Sefton at one time. Their neighbours included Gérard Houllier and his wife.

Chester is about 45 minutes by car (plus you get to go through the tunnel) and about the same on the train. It’s on the Wirral line so you can get the direct train from the underground.

Chester is quite interesting in its own right. It is originally a Roman city and there are artifacts left from then (e.g. the city walls) and there is a lot of medieval architecture left. Generally a lot older than Liverpool. Oh, it also has one of the best zoos in the country which would take a day to get around itself.

1 Like

Ahh, so Sefton is quite pricey area then. It looked really lovely, kind have the village atmosphere, but with all the amenities and not far from the city centre.

A young couple, close family friends have just moved there last month as they have jobs in the hospital there and they are loving it. They mentioned there are alot of retired people there as well.

This came up on my Facebook feed. The Gent’s toilets in the Philharmonic pub:

Well worth a visit if you are up there. (Obviously, this only applies to half the visitors although I know the bar staff will let the ladies have a peek if it’s quiet)

4 Likes

Since I have finally retired I have decided to explore some of the fabulous old pubs in Liverpool. My first visit was Peter Kavanagh’s which I had not heard of despite living here all my life. What a great place. It was Monday lunchtime and I had the place to myself. Great beer (Landlord) too. If of interest I can post other pubs as and when I tick them off.

7 Likes

There are some great pubs around L8 that get ignored as people don’t want to venture out of the city centre.

Kavanagh’s is fascinating, though. Lots of history behind it, although I suspect some is apocryphal:

3 Likes

That’s really a great story. I would love it to be true…

I have posted about the Hitler family in Liverpool before. It is even claimed he was a bluenose and went to Goodison :rofl:

1 Like

https://x.com/LiverpoolVista/status/1774417493919940620?s=20

Brings memories from my visit last year. I feel like I am in a virtual helicopter :heart_eyes:
What an amzing video, capturing the waterfront.

2 Likes

I was here 15 minutes ago.

4 Likes

I’ve narrowly missed you. I was there this morning.

2 Likes