The Liverpool Guide Thread

The headline should have read, “White Hart Slain”.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m sure this has been done before, but humour me; Current city centre restaurant recommendations. Sit down, not take away, any style any price.
Cheers Noisies :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you want something really special try Panoramic 34.

The McDonald’s just opp the Queens Wharf is pretty nice :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Ok if you fancy some Asian food, I quite like the chamber 36 at berry Street, modern twist to pan Asian food. Prices decent.

If you are a meat lover then go for Viva Brazil (this is a chain) - assume it’s still open.

Otherwise I’d just check out trip advisor.

Villa Romana (Italian) in Wood Street or the Casa Italia in Stanley Street.
Mowgli for Indian street food in Water Street.
The Art School in Sugnall Street, near to the Philharmonic Hall, for something special, but it is expensive.
There are also plenty of restaurants along Bold Street.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I just get some opinions on this from some locals.

Coming to Liverpool in April and my father in law has this thing that he “doesn’t want to stay in the city centre”.

I sort of get it, what he means is he doesn’t wanna be somewhere where there are a load of pissed up youngsters in the evening.

With that being said would you consider the Pullman hotel, near the M&S arena down the docks a city centre location or is it far enough out of the hustle and bustle.

Last time we came we stayed at the Childwall Abbey hotel which was great but this time we are bringing his Mrs, my Mrs (his daughter) and my 2 kids so we need a bit more of a family friendly “chain” hotel.

Open to suggestions about decent suburbs but also need hotel suggestions. (Accor brand we usually use but happy with Travelodge, premier inn etc)

It depends how far away from the city centre you want to be. The Pullman is next to the Arena on the promenade, but still only a 10 minute walk into town. I don’t think you’ll have a problem with drunks there, but you might want to check who’s appearing at the arena that weekend. The Pullman is also just a few minutes walk from the Albert Dock. You could also look at the Crowne Plaza and the Mal Maison near to the cruise terminal and the Liver Building. Again, these are a few minutes walk from the shops and bars but worth considering. There is also the Titanic Hotel, further along the dock road. This is a 5 minute taxi ride into the city centre, opposite the site where Everton are ‘allegedly’ building a new stadium.

2 Likes

The Pullman is probably the best one in the city centre for what you need, though if there’s a big event on at the arena or down the docks you’ll still get a bit of foot traffic. You could have a look at The Titanic, but it is expensive and you’ll have to get taxis there and back every day.

I’d have a look at the Travelodge in Aigburth if you don’t mind staying in those. Great transport links to the city centre (train station is close by and takes less than 10 minutes), nice area, parks nearby, probably cheap.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind Travelodge, on my first trip to Liverpool, I stayed in Travelodge Liverpool Docks at Sefton Street. There are a number of them in Liverpool but I like this one because it is free parking, close enough to Central, but quiet enough with a nice serene view of the Brunswick Dock just behind the hotel. There is a nice deli just beside it for a nice breakfast if you don’t fancy the really basic stuff Travelodge offers for a small sum. It is very near to the Brunswick Train Station if that is important but its around a 30min walk to Liverpool One just for your reference, or there is a bus just outside on the main road bus 500 I think that goes to Liverpool ONE or just a couple of KM if you need to drive.

1 Like

How is the nightlife in Liverpool since it’s all back to normal again?

The last time I was in Liverpool was May 2019.

Property in Liverpool

Ok so I am looking to buy a property in Liverpool.

I am a season ticket holder and ratherthan travelling up and down every week I want a base to be able to stay at week ends, perhaps use it as an Air BnB in the week and weekends when I’m not there including the summer.

Here is the criteria

Needs to be city centre or near Anfield

Budget is aprox 100k.

Can I have your thoughts and observations as well as places to maybe avoid.

Would want a 2 bed property ideally and wouldn’t mind if it was a flat in the city centre but would need to be a house ideally if it was say somewhere like Anfield.

What do you mean by areas to avoid?

To buy a house in Liverpool for 100k you are almost certainly going to be in an area you want to avoid. I paid 2.5x that for a terraced house in a half decent area.

I’d go for a city centre flat if I was you but you’ll only get something very basic with that budget. A quick search brings up this, have mates who used to live in this building, it’s fine.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/84014391#/?channel=RES_BUY

2 Likes

Cheers for that bit a quick Rightmove search for a max of 110k brings 873 properties.

Ok a lot of them are house shares and that sort of shit but there are definitely some bargains to pick up.

Some of them may be more trouble than they’re worth though, particularly if you’re buying a terraced house in Anfield, Kensington etc. I’d have thought it would be a thieves’ dream when it becomes obvious (which it will) that nobody lives there.

Personally I’d get a flat in a secure building in the city centre. Easy to sublet if that’s what you want, safe, convenient.

4 Likes

I would agree with your advice. A flat in the city centre is also more likely to provide an income through Air BnB, than a terraced property in Anfield, Kensington or Walton.

1 Like

Cheers guys, exactly the kind of info I was after.

Any new build developments going on in the city at the moment

There’s one going up by the Baltic triangle, a mate of mine has just bought a flat in there. Think he paid 180k though and the works have been delayed. There was another one not too far from the flat I posted above but I think that’s currently on hold.

How’s the development down Bramley-Moore docks coming along? :rofl:

1 Like