The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

United have always been about marquee signings , and those marquee signings more often than not are the midfielders and strikers. This is after fergy

2 Likes

And stuff like this is why clubs like Dortmund feel absolutely no obligation to meet them in the middle on transfer fees.

5 Likes

I agree with @Limiescouse , based on his success at Dortmund, Sancho is potentially a big upgrade on all of those players. A lot of the goals for Utd came from penalties, I don’t think they can count on that happening again next season. It also opens the prospect for them going for Haaland next summer and building a young forward line for much of the decade, while addressing the defence and midfield later (maybe by adopting a deeper line in the short run?).

Finally, weren’t Utd also working on signing players for defence and midfield anyway?

Except Fernandes is not a forward in the way they set up so Martial is actually their 4th choice. And he’s both not good enough and often injured. So that leaves them with first choice 3 including two young players who both have fitness issues almost certainly as a result of being over played and a 35 year old who cannot be expected to play every game.

While Utd have room for improvement in the other areas, any single player they lose is not that big a challenge to replace with the players they have available. The second Utd have to replace any of that front 3 they are a much worse side.

2 Likes

About them buying defenders and midfielders , they will be in the market for them. Sancho will improve them providing he kicks on from his time at Dortmund which is in a different league and play style. There have been quite a number of imports from the german league who haven’t lived up to the expectations and the expectations on him are going to be immense.

Also don’t rule out players regressing when they’ve got a fat contract and absolutely nothing to prove

1 Like

If Ole Gob Shite was any good… he would have Martial playing like a world beater every week

Or would have improved rashford. Thats just not due to ole , theres a certain jose to blame for as well.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with this, which is why I added the word ‘Potentially’. Sancho has some familiarity with the league having grown up here and been part of the set up at City, so I can see him making that step up.

1 Like

I can see Sancho making the step up and even improving further if he’s playing for Klopp , Pep or even tuchel.

The only thing is he’s playing for ole and the gobshite scums

Sancho will improve their attack no matter who they already have. I guess Rashford (I would have said Cavani, but he is too old be a feasible option) is the best of the lot and Sancho is better than him, in my view. Martial will be sold, surely!

What surprises me is the fact that they didn’t sign a proper striker, that’s what their attack lacks most presently.

1 Like

Rashford is shit. He’s overrated on here mostly due to @Mascot having a boner for him.

6 Likes

Break Up Love GIF by TLC Europe

6 Likes

I wasn’t impressed with him when we went to old toilet. He just didn’t seem to make enough effort unless he had a 90% plus chance of scoring.

1 Like

It’s a weird one with Rashford. He’s never lived up to the hype for me , and we’re forever hearing excuses for poor performances that he’s carrying an injury. Maybe he is , maybe that back problem he had has inhibited him , and maybe he’s just been overplayed as a youngster. Whatever it is , it’s hard to see him ever being any better than he is now.

1 Like

Greenwood is miles ahead of any other English striker in his age group. He’s brilliant.

4 Likes

I agree with this. Lad knows how to put the ball in the net. He’s still raw and there are big gaps in his game, but purely as a goalscorer, he’s the best in his age group as you say.

Imagine spending his formative years under Ole. :rofl:

2 Likes

Their biggest problem is clearly at CB, and they need a backbone in midfield, although I rate McTominay as a destroyer type defensie midfielder. I thought Bruno Fernandes looked immense during the first half of last season, but he was anonymous for much of the second half of the season, and has been poor at the Euros.

Long may Ole stay at that wheel, because as much as it pains for me to say it, they still have a very strong squad, and they would likely improve vastly with a better manager. There isn’t any one player in their squad I’d want over at Liverpool, but that doesn’t mean they’re shit…they’re just not as good as us.

1 Like

I’d take Van De Beek as a 6th in line backup CB

1 Like

Rashford’s a bit like Werner - needs loads of space in behind to be able to play. He’s rubbish when asked to do anything other than run in behind, he lacks the football intelligence of somebody like Cavani for example.

5 Likes