The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

did he?

i miss all the bits of gossip, but thats still in the realms of my point…chose the EPL…maybe not the same challenge, but breaking into that city team would have been a fair effort at 36…i dont think his ego would allow him to sit

Very good article by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian setting out why Utd buying Ronaldo is such a bad idea.
It concludes with this:
Celebrity in football is the enemy of coherence and in modern football coherence is what denotes the very best from the rest. Perhaps United fans will simply be happy to be reminded of more successful days, but it is hard to see how Ronaldo takes them any closer to mounting a serious title challenge. Rather this is a whimsical signing that fits the pattern of short-term crowd-pleasing that has characterised much of the eight years since Alex Ferguson retired.

Nothing has been learned and United look doomed to drift on in the shadows of their past greatness.

10 Likes

Refreshing to read such “unpopular” opinion.

Wilson is great, always have time for him.

6 Likes

Apparently they are in for trippier as well.

Amazing what fans storming the stadium and training ground gets done isn’t it :rofl:

Looks like that’s not happening, United are not willing to get anywhere close to the wanted €40m. They’ll likely keep Dalot instead.

Wilson makes so many interesting points, I’m thinking more WWE and AEW than soaps mind.

It’s a bit John Cena is back and next week it will be Brock Lesnar before we ask Undertaker at 50 and Goldberg at 55 to come back.

Meanwhile it’s CM Punk who hasn’t wrestled in 7 years back on our show.

And it worked for me for now but yeah these are controlled entertainment, the results are determined and for some reason people want it (well maybe considering the WWE ratings it’s more money from tv than fan approval).

You can’t do that in football.

2 Likes

He had already agreed personal terms before Utd got involved.

He was spot on.

There was also a very good piece in the NYT yesterday (if you can get behind the paywall) about how marquee signings are now more important to some clubs (and a certain type of fan) than actual success on the field.

You can probably guess the clubs involved.

Not very convinced of Jonathan Wilson either, but that’s for another thread.

Yeah the guardian used to have a strong football team. Shame they’ve hired people like Johnathon Liew who just don’t seem to understand the game and kept numpties like their ‘pod squad’.

1 Like

I love Jonathan Liew and his irreverent but surgical takes!

3 Likes

He can write and, like Barney Rubble (Ronay), has amusing turns of phrase, but unlike Barney he is fucking clueless about the sport. I think he reads best when the subject is a sport one knows very little about. Gymnastics perhaps. Or dressage - my wife explained a bit of what’s involved when we watched a little from the Olympics and I feel He could successfully hoodwink most of the casual audience for such columns. He should be tasked with reporting the AFL and Rugby League for the Oz edition - that would be funny.

Ole the first manager since Sir Alex to manage 100 PL games. Who would have guessed he’d make that mark?

2 Likes

I’m surprised. I thought he had written some good pieces on football for the times?

1 Like

It’s early and Utd still have the talent in the final third to turn the tables on Wolves, but the balance of this game has shown many of have been saying about Utd. Requiring Pogba to play an actual role robs them of Pogba’s actual talents and leaves a huge hole where Pogba is supposed to be…yet you cannot play him, Fernandes and Ronaldo without doing this. And when you drop one, it’s still a workman who comes in, who will not really change the balance of this game that much.

Utd fans and ex players often talk about players being a “utd player”…the most Utd player on the pitch today is Moutinho. That is the sort of player they’re missing today and in truth do not have in their entire squad.

2 Likes

I still think they will get a CM, they would be crazy not to, Fred is gash and Pogba doesn’t bother.

2 Likes

They got their obligatory jammy goal, but this United side are fucking gash. The defense is still too slow. A more clinical side would have scored five or six against them today.

4 Likes

Ole says Lingard is staying.

Can someone please explain what the hell are they trying to do with;

Fernandes, one of Pogba/Beek, Lingard, Sancho, James, Mata, Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Ronaldo and Cavani…

11 players for 4 offensive positions? Are kids running that club?

They’re loaning out Diallo to Feyenoord, there goes one. But who else?

3 Likes

May your prophecy bring relegation for the Mancs in due course :slight_smile:

How was Varane

1 Like