The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Let them think that they have fixed it — De Gea has had the ability to pull off his cat-like saves for the last 3 years, but not the consistency to do it week-in, week-out.

Fernandes is going to get injured at some point. It’s not a question of if, it’s when.

2 Likes

Difficult to say. They were completely over run in midfield and so had to do a lot of defending. He was never shown up, but also wasnt able to really pull it together to get Utd back on the front foot, but thats maybe not a fair expectation given how on top Wolves were for most of hte game.

2 Likes

Hanging onto this bit of encouragement for when they (hopefully) don’t sign a DM.

1 Like

They were so shit today it was unbelievable. Fred and Pogba as holding midfielders were a fucking joke. And if anyone (Ole) seriously thinks that Ronaldo is a better option upfront than Greenwood , then long may the madness continue.

6 Likes

Fernández is a tad upset now been the 3rd best Portugueser in the Premier league now.

1 Like

They’ve got 3 DMs, although arguably none good enough. That’s not their real issue though. It’s that they have no quality on the ball in the middle of the park. If their midfield cannot play it long for forwards to chase into space they only are capable of going sideways or back.

Just read this comment from Ole in reposonse to Neville quesitoning the wisdom of having compeition for the keeper spot

Gary Neville said last season that as a defender, he always preferred to know who the first-choice goalkeeper was…

OGS: I enjoyed having one first-choice right-back when I played, but I never had one!

Arguably funny, but dumb as shit seeing as Nev played every meaningful game when fit for Utd during Ole’s time there.

2 Likes

What is really interesting about that article is that it notes that they’ve held back on signing a DM for “financial reasons.” I guess a partner for Maguire was the priority, but would have thought a DM would have been a priority over signing a RW whom there was no immediate need for.

So what’s Fernandes’ role, then? I get that he’s more of a 10 than an 8, but I thought that was the whole point of him (and, if not him, Pogba) - to have quality on the ball. Jesus, they are rudderless.

Also, let’s just all remember, it wasn’t Varane who was the CB that came 2nd in the FIFA PoY two years ago.

1 Like

Goldbridge to his credit did make the same point.

Both Pogba and Fernández don’t like doing the hard stuff in the middle. Winning it then recycling it forward quickly they want to be on the forward pass.

1 Like

He’s capable of saying useful things every once in a while.

“We just let Liverpool back into the Champions League.” - 5/13/21

2 Likes

He doesn’t really play as a midfielder. All his effective work is much further up the pitch.

1 Like

I think if they got a player like Kante/Bissouma to play alongside Pogba, that would give them the creativity to feed the forwards and a shield for the back 4.

… and then they go and sign Ronaldo.

Dickheads.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s not so much a genuine financial issue, but simply using that as an excuse.

I would argue it’s more the Jorginho they lack. neither Fred not McTominay are world beaters, but they put in a shift and can be difficult to play against. They’ve got players who can play a good killer pass, what they lack is the player who’s going to do the less glamorous stuff to make sure the game is being played in the right areas. They’ve got their Gerrard they now need their Alonso.

They play badly but still walk away with 3 points. That pissed me off

2 Likes

It keeps Ole in the job that little bit longer. We need to think longer term here. Let Ole keep spending stupid money on shit/mediocre players so that when he does finally get the sack, the new manager will take a few seasons to build his team. They need to stay in this perpetual cycle of rebuilding and trying to claw their way back to the top, just like we did for 30 years. Cunts.

3 Likes

Maybe that’s why they seem to be targeting Saul on loan, not your typical Alonso but a good player non the less.

1 Like