The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

He’s shite. Why do you think Atletico want rid?

It is a financial issue.

“We’ve bought this DM” doesn’t win over the twatter fanboys anywhere near as much as “We’ve just blown the clubs financial future on a 36yo egotistical prick that adds nothing to our team but will increase our twatter likes”

2 Likes

So Ronaldo is really back there?..

(Just taking in the news, as I was in the mountains with no internet connection this week-end.)

Fortunately, he isn’t the same Ronaldo anymore than a couple of years ago. Real Madrid played a blinder by selling him exactly at the right time imo. He comes back to a faster and more physical league than the Spanish and Italian ones. He obviously knows everything about the PL, but I wonder whether this isn’t the challenge too much for him… we’ll see.

On paper, this might be a genuine short-term reinforcement for Utd, but in the medium term? Not sure, we’ll see. Maybe they count on the psychological effect of having such a living legend back in their squad. On the other hand, Juve immediately accepting a relatively paltry sum of 15m, + some add-ons would make me a bit suspicious if I was a Utd fan…

Anyone knows how much they’ll pay him for his two-years contract??

1 Like

£480k per week apparently.

1 Like

For 2 years, with the option for a 3rd.

What a great peice of transfer work - will bankrupt the club due to others demanding more (well you can give that prick 1/2 million a week, so you can give me more) whilst not actually improving the squad in any visable way that brigns them any closer to challanging for the league

Holy fuck . Just take a look at their wage bill !

1 Like

Looking at that list, I can see a lot of unhappy players demanding massive payrises or transfers. Especially the likes of Pogba. No chance he will sit by happilly on 290K when Ronaldo is earning 480-510K.

If I remember correctly, when De Gea signed his new contract a couple of seasons back, didn’t it include a clause to match highest earner?

1 Like

How reliable is this? Martial getting more than Rushford, Maguire, and Fernandes???

He is in his last year of contract, Raiola will get him (and himself) a ton of money.

1 Like

How does a goalkeeper become your highest earner?

Transfer madness has him valued at 22 million.

To be fair, he was their best player for about three or four seasons in a row.

4 Likes

A vague memory but true.

To be fair, he is singularly responsible for them getting 3 points yesterday as Greenwood is.

Id be hesitant to take much of that as gospel from that piece. It was good insight on the Ronaldo piece and well written, but that section was not very coherent. It made the point that instead of spending money on Ronaldo what they needed was a midfielder who can link the defending and attacking halves of the team…an argument that is being made by me and many others here. In the very next sentence it then references not going for a DM (not at all what had just been identified as what they need) because of money and specifically name checked Rice (confirmation they are talking about the sort of player who is NOT what they need).

To me what this seems like is they acknowledge that neither Fred nor McTominay are elite so are keeping an eye out for upgrades but decided other areas of the pitch are more important to address right now, which puts the financial restriction into important context - unwilling to spend that much money now on something that is just an upgrade rather than a priority. What would have tied a bow on that section of the piece would have been a comment pointing out that this isnt really what they need right now (that link player).

1 Like

United fans on twitter are desperate for the club to sign Bissouma. Nearly went into meltdown when we were rumoured to be leading the race for him.

1 Like

I see what you mean, yes, still challenging himself. But I struggle to respect him. He’s a diva. Vastly paid. He won’t carry Man Utd but he will linger around the box and stick the ball in the back of the net, so they will love him. But hopefully it doesn’t end well for them.

My hope is Greenwood or Rashford are casualties, and they come to play for Klopp! But obviously that won’t happen.

My best take is Ronaldo will add goals, but they won’t be short in that department, so the overall team doesn’t improve much. Cavani will be the main casualty of his arrival.

Top four. FA Cup. Hopefully enough to keep Oleh at the wheel.

1 Like

Yip, they overpaid on his wages to ward off interest from RM (Wasn’t that the FaxGate?), and he was worth it at that stage. I actually think it was that non move to RM that did his head in.

4 Likes

NO Ole trophies, NONE.

4 Likes

Ideally I agree… but I want them to do enough that they keep him!

Top four should be enough. I agree with @Nobluff Ole has won enough already.

2 Likes

Calling Cup please. The least prestigious trophy that they can win but should be enough to keep him in the job, as it’ll be seen as “the first of many” by the media.

And it means Manchester City don’t win it.

2 Likes

Apparently they are trying to sign Kalvin Phillips. According to some ‘freelance football journalist’ on Twitter, they’ve offered 15 million plus Dan James but Leeds are supposedly asking for 40 million plus player(s) or 85 million with no added makeweights.

Leeds would be stupid to sell him now. However, it does seem like Dan James will be going to Leeds.

3 Likes