The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

15m plus Dan James.

Maybe should have saved that money you blew on Ronaldo.

Leeds will milk that so I’m not surprised they want 85m, Phillips is probably worth that if White is fetching 50m and the keeper who went to Arsenal is 38m.

More I look at this, the more I am not surprised we didn’t buy more, it’s crazy out there and we still in my view have a squad that can challenge.

3 Likes

Something seems a bit off here. A 6 week injury shouldn’t be enough to stop a loan I wouldn’t think.

Even if he completes the loan deal but stays at Utd for the weeks doing his treatment and rehab, they could still get the deal done, unless the injury is worse than they are willing to admit and he is likely to be out for a large part of the season

I pray they don’t see sense in getting him!

how many wide forwards do United have now? I appreciate that Ronaldo may play central but I suspect there’s a couple of players in that squad increasingly nervous of a square arse now.

1 Like

I loved the below excerpt as well

Devising and implementing a philosophy is boring. It takes ages. Put a plan in place now and it could be years before it comes to fruition. Far easier to sign a big name for the immediate dopamine hit that leads to inane talk of winning the transfer market and is why many fans seem more excited by signing players than winning matches.

6 Likes

I see Ronnie has the No.7 shirt - ripped it off the back off Cavani.

All this gratitude and thanks - why do I get the feeling its all horseshit, and the CR7 brand and Mendes made this a mandatory requirement before he signed with United and essentially left Cavani with no choice.

I’m looking forward to the United circus this year - although I do think they are very strong now.

I did see Sancho’s injured. I do wonder how he feels - he was the big signing, the one everyone was so excited for. Most United fans have probably forgotten his name already since the return of ronaldo.

3 Likes

When you give up your number in baseball to a veteran you normally receive I nice gift (expensive watch or something like that) from that veteran.

I wonder what Ronaldo got Cavani. :grinning:

1 Like

I’d be fucked off if I was at a club and had an iconic shirt number and was told I was losing the number to a new signing. Even if it was Ronaldo.

It is interesting that Messi, the iconic number 10 has gone to PSG and has settled with the number 30 shirt, whereas Ronaldo has gone to United and has got the number 7 shirt - whether that’s been given or it’s been forcefully taken through contract etc is yet to be seen but tells you something about the ego of both players maybe

2 Likes

Because that’s clearly what happened.

1 Like

I guess the rule with squad numbers changed and you can do that after the registration date before the league starts. It was a stupid rule anyway. So next time we want to give someone like Alisson the number 1 shirt and Karius has it, hopefully we can do it. As for Sancho, how he feels… probably great. Sancho wants someone like Ronaldo at the club and Ronaldo wants someone like Sancho at the club. How it will look like on the pitch and what can they accomplish this season, we’ll see.

7 is around the number of goals greaseboy will score v’s Messi and his 30+

5 Likes

Rule hasn’t changed as such. Not sure whether Cavani ‘vacating’ the no.7 by taking James’ old no.21 enabled Ronaldo to take the no.7 or whether the club still also needed dispensation from PL board.

But yeah, Ronaldo’s ego needed satisfying.

Hopefully Karius can move on soon so Bellingham can take the number 22.

1 Like

Yeah but why Alisson couldn’t take Karius’ #1 at the time and Lukaku took Abraham’s #9 even if Tammy was registered and on the bench in the first game. Back then it was said that only one player can be registered under a certain number for a season. Even when Carroll came to Liverpool, it was the same with UEFA. He couldn’t wear Torres’ #9 in Europe, but #29.

Stupid rules, not a big deal, who cares.

1 Like

Or maybe Cavani had no issue as he wears the number 21 for his national team which is now available.

I’m not particularly worried about Ronaldo’s ability any more, I doubt he’ll be much more effective than Cavani was last season for example.

Not sure I’m buying the idea that he’s toxic for the dressing room though, at this point I’d guess most of those players will look forward to playing/learning from him.

Still, I don’t think it’s a game changing signing for United. Varane is by far their best signing this summer, I’m happy they never made a similar signing for their midfield.

2 Likes

If Ronaldo starts regularly - which he will, he’ll get 20+ league goals

How many goals did he score last season? And how many of them were not penalties? Will he be ManUs Penalty taker?

Of course he will, it’s his ball :soccer:

He will defo take the pens

Penandes won’t be happy if Penaldo takes the pens.

3 Likes