The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

At Juve last year he scored 29, 31 the year before and 21 the year before.

The last time he scored less that 20
League goals
Was
His last year at United which was 2009

I don’t rate Varane, personally. I don’t think he’ll help their biggest issues in defense which seem to be from deal ball situations. He’s also not good enough to make up for Maguire’s lack of pace, IMO. He’s better on the ball than Maguire/AWB, so that’s something I suppose.

Will United as team score more than they did, though? I believe that was the problem at Juventus. He bagged great numbers but they were numbers they were already getting elsewhere and as a whole the team didn’t actually didn’t benefit.

3 Likes

I do, he’s an excellent player who’s won the lot. Big improvement on all their centre backs.

Very good against Wolves from what I saw.

1 Like

See I thought he was gash against Wolves. Wolves got into fantastic scoring positions repeatedly, as evidenced by their roughly +3 xG that match. They just lacked the clinical final touch, and DDG had to make some of his trademark ridiculous saves. They’re going to keep conceding stupid goals, and Varane is not going to solve their defensive issues. Quote me on this please.

1 Like

He wasn’t, he played well, I watched it. United’s midfield was terrible, and Maguire was poor, but Varane was very good.

Not saying he’ll solve all their problems but he’s clearly a big upgrade.

1 Like

I think it was a difficult game to judge precisely because of how under the cosh Utd were. Varane isn’t a John Terry type who is going to make an big eye catching intervention in that situation, and so a lot of what he did was making sure Wolves always had to make one more key pass before they could get off a shot. A lot like that heralded piece of defending by Virgil against Spurs a few years, sometimes the best you can do is give them the opportunity to try their luck from what you’ve decided is the least dangerous option available to you.

Basically, in a game where they had a lot of defending to do, he didn’t do anything exceptional, but he also got through it without selling himself and making it easier for Wolves.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Fair dues. Tell you what, if he turns out to be a quality signing that improves their defense, I owe you a Coke.

1 Like

6 Likes

Penandes (maybe I should call him Fernandes all things considering) stats will look a bit off if Ronaldo does take over Pens.

1 Like

theyll just have to get two penalties a game …

2 Likes

Interesting interchanges. :+1:
Tell you both what, whichever way it turns out, I’ll buy you both a beer. :slightly_smiling_face: :beers:

2 Likes

Ive been calling him Penandes because he’s a penis, not because he’s on penalty duties.

Same applies to Penaldo.

On a slightly different note - pic of Ole and Ronny chatting released on the socials

Ronaldo’s look says it all - he’s not there to be coached by Ole, he’s there to manage the team to glory on his own.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1435241840102498305

2 Likes

Só Ronaldo gets to pick and choose his internationals.

His colleagues must love that.

1 Like

If, and it is a big if, Ronaldo’s dedication and professionalism towards training can influence the younger, promising ones like Greenwood, I do think resigning Ronaldo may turn out to be a good investment in the long term. This may save United transfer fees down the road as their youth might be able to cover certain key positions.

Of course, this is a big if. Not ready to write off both United and Ronaldo yet. In the Serie A, Juventus was the undisputed big club so almost every team parked the bus when playing against them. However, in the EPL, United are not seen as one of the top teams currently. Some other teams might fancy their chances and have a go against them. Ole may very well stumble upon a solution (read counter attacking football and set pieces) to fit Ronaldo’s finishing prowess and drag them into contention for silverware.

1 Like

Mata is still at United! Fuck…what a waste of a good player.

2 Likes

He was going to leave on a free this summer, but they agreed for one more year.

I have no idea what do they plan to do (at least until January) with so many offensive options.

1 Like

Waste them?

4 Likes

They could go all out attack, issue is in about 6 games against the bigger teams they rely on counter attacking.

Greenwood will have to play those games.