The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

They finished the game yesterday with a strike pairing that had a combined age of 70 and that earns £635k a week.

They were down to 10 men because the walking Adidas ad with the funny haircut, that cost them £90m and £300k a week, is trying to sabotage yet another manager.

The great young hope they pursued for two years and spent £75m on never even got off the bench. The talented £35m centre mid they bought two summers ago never gets off the bench whilst Fred and McTominay play every week and play badly.

The £50m right back they bought probably wouldn’t make our bench. The £80m centre back they bought wouldn’t get a game for us in the league cup. They inexplicably still have Matic, Lingard, Mata and Dalot floating about the club contributing almost nothing for god knows how much in wages per week.

Their manager wouldn’t be good enough to manage our reserves.

I’m actually starting to think Ole did an amazing job to get them finishing second because that club is an expensively assembled mess.

16 Likes

Something that gets forgotten every single year by pundits. This pre-season they spent the summer talking about Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd as challengers for the league while not even really talking about Liverpool (any mention of us was “they’ll be better than last season but they have no depth” end of conversation).

Yet again Klopp usurps the narrative that you have to sign dozens of high profile players every season. We brought in Tsimikas for a few million last season, everyone forgot about him, and he has already proved himself one of the best backup wing backs in the league. Jones flew under the radar despite playing decently last year, he’s started this season really well. Milner is accused of being too old every season, he still turns out excellent performances in multiple positions. Keita labelled a flop and someone Klopp can’t rely on, he’s been excellent this season.

Love that we grow a team. We nurture it, give it time and space to develop while sprinkling in a few elements of quality here and there.

Man Utd, by comparison, have a pile of rubbly dirt for a garden. They buy a few pretty flowers, chuck them out there with no real idea how to lay it out and wonder why everything withers and dies.

6 Likes
4 Likes

So many gifs to choose from…

1 Like

I’m not sure which clubs have avoided him but I think United would be foolish to not be seriously considering him because of this supposed idea that he doesn’t suit the style or image of the club. What even is that anymore?

There’s no way he would have accepted the complete lack of effort from the likes of Ronaldo, Rashford, Pogba, Fernandes and Greenwood yesterday and in recent weeks. It’s pretty well known how demanding he is of both his players and the board above him, maybe that’s what scares them. The prospect of another huge turnover of players and possibly the binning off of a few big names.

1 Like

Unnamed players ‘expressing concerns about Solskjaer’s tactical limitations’ this morning. You can bet that Ronaldo was livid at being left on through that whole train wreck.

3 Likes

It’s root and branch stuff. They need gutting.

The goalkeeper has done well for them this season, but he probably needs to go now. He is an old fashioned ‘line keeper’ and the modern game needs more than that.

The entire back four needs to go. If they are good enough, they are getting old. Don’t get me started on their full backs, fuck me. Although if they have any sense a short term solution might be to move to a back three and play AWB on the right.

The midfield is an absolute write off. McTominay and Fred need little discussion, but Pogba is the worst of all of them. Absolute toxic waste of space. Their beloved Ferguson would have had him out of the door within five minutes.

Their attack is where they have something to build on. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho is a potentially devastating front three.

Fernandes is a good attacking mid, but needs workers around him.

The problem for them is that I don’t think there is anyone in football willing to take the likes of Pogba, Maguire, Ronaldo off their hands. Even writing off the fees, the wages mean they are probably stuck with them.

4 Likes

Ronaldo can express all the concerns he likes (for it was obviously that prick). Utd are carrying too many players who won’t run. Ole, as fucking shite as he is, knows that playing Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo is leaving you very short on lads willing to get around the pitch, and is why limited triers like McTominay and Fred start. They are bobbins, but they’ll do the preening gobsites running for him.

3 Likes

Ronaldo is an absolute disaster for them. Under Solskjaer, ManU’s successes have come from a very limited tactical range. If they can’t counter, they have been hopeless. Ronaldo just lacks the work rate to do that over 90 minutes. He can still finish the counter well, and claim all the glory, but it is really at the expense of Rashford and Greenwood.

8 Likes

I’d get rid of Pogba, Matic, Mata, Fred, Lingaard, Cavani, Martial, Ronaldo, Jones, Lindelof…

What happened to Eric Bailly? He looked really good until he got injured. Is he even still at the club?

Henderson

AW-B, Bailly? Varane, Shaw

McTominay DvdB

Fernandes

Greenwood Rashford Sancho

Start with that and build around those players with incremental improvements, adding players no older than 24. Build a team to challenge in 3 years time rather than this constant lack of joined up thinking.

Obviously, I hope they actually keep doing as they’re doing.

4 Likes

So he’s made his move.

Didn’t take long

2 Likes

Appears to have fallen out of favour - he’s made the bench a few times in the PL this season, but no appearances.

:rofl: :rofl: The delusion is strong. Maguire??!!

1 Like

I can see the appeal of Conte, he is a very good coach who knows what he wants from his teams and how to get it, but I think Conte could only be a short term fix as he seems to burn bridges quite quickly (at the risk of becoming toxic?). He also seems to favour a formation that Utd have rarely used.

I’m not sure who would be on the market now, or next summer they could be confident in getting and delivering what they need though.

I didn’t realise we were looking for someone to clean dogshite of Hendo’s boots. I’d do it for fucking free if it ment he kept his current form going

6 Likes

Looks good going forward, but I see similar problems to the current team - that is with a front 4 like that, none of them will track back or press so it leaves the midfield and defence having to pick up the slack

Really? Fernandes OK maybe but the other 2? What’s Pogba done before and when he came back? nothing.
Maguire - Hes not even the best defender at United and none of theirs are a patch on ours.

Do United fans really rate Maguire? He’s been awful since went there.

1 Like

I’ve a brother in law United fan who continues to maintain that Maguire is a “good defender” just having a bad patch of form…

3 Likes

2 Likes

Im still laughing…

Team is completely unbalanced.

4-4-2

Henderson
AWB Varane Slabhead Shaw
Sancho Matic Fred Fernandes
Greenwood Ronaldo/Cavani

While still offensively minded, fenandez and Sancho hurt you less on the outside. AWB sticks to defense, which he still sucks at, and shaw can partner the left side with fernandes and let ronaldo sit in the channels. Matic is immobile but they don’t have another choice.

or 4-3-3 in a double 6 until they buy a 6

Dalot varane slabhead shaw
Fred Matic/McT DVB
Sancho/Greenwood Ronaldo Fernandes/Rashy

Operating under the assumption they aren’t going to bench ronaldo.

You can’t give freedom to 2 players in a formation to do whatever they want. Right now Ronaldo and Fernandes both are operating without any structure or positional discipline, which is why neither can find space, because they both are currently operating in the same area. One has to get benched, and I guarantee it is not going to be Ronnie.

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE

1 Like