The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

like how the manures don’t want Rodgers when they’d actually be lucky to have him… let alone having someone of a much higher caliber

Ole is was and always will be a Manchester United football legend, its a shame what has happened during his time as manager, but who knows? Maybe he can turn it around and remind us all of just why he is a legend, he was notorious for late winning goals and who knows, maybe he could prove to be a late bloomer when it comes to management too

from redcafe

He once scored a late winning goal

5 Likes

Any goals he scored were always late in the game…
Its what happens when you are a permanent sub and only get the last few minutes.! :rofl:

2 Likes

As a player , did he do enough for Utd what Origi did for us ?

What it does highlight is that currently there is a dearth of top quality managers.

10 years ago it seemed Chelsea could sack their manager on a yearly basis and bring in someone world class, today the options for United are distinctly underwhelming.
A quick look at redcafe and talk is of Rodgers, Martínez, Potter, Poch, and ten Hag. It’s not exactly an inspiring list.

It’s also highlight when we talk about who will replace Klopp? There is very few managers of that tier or have that potential.

3 Likes

He was far more consistent than Origi is. Better as an orthodox striker but possibly not having the potential Origi does, I would say.

3 Likes

He was a player who excelled at being a substitute.

He could come off the bench and make an impact on a regular basis. The context typically was a United team dominating, but looking to unlock a stubborn opposition.

Not a player to start games though. He was best when opposition had already tired. But overall scored a few important goals for them.

1 Like

so did Origi. So why the wankfest over Ole ?

1 Like

Had a far more consistent team with a better service also.

2 Likes

Also , was that gonna be enough to make him a manager ?

1 Like

Not disparaging Ole as a football player , He was a very formidable striker. But if you even drill down , what exactly did he do as a player which are really remarkable ?

I guess ageism and the man utd oriented press do play a part…yeah scored a goal to win the champions league , well , so did Origi

1 Like

Origi is sporadic. Both within a match and between matches. He can do nothing, then score a goal out of no where. More a cult hero.

Ole had basically perfected his role as the “super sub”. That was his nickname. He basically defined what you want a sub to do for a generation. Come on, make an immediate impact, change the game. It was the regularity he did this during title winning years that made him the United hero (over better players)

2 Likes

and in fact, Origi did more over that champions league win than what ole did…

1 Like

I do agree… Ole was 5x player that Origi is.

Just that Utd fans keep cribbing about Ole winning them the CL… I’m saying that it’s not the benchmark. And to transpose that to defending his legacy as a manager , that’s uber fucked up

But if you do look at the individual CL wins , Origi did do more in the semi’s and the final’s than what ole did with Man utd… played a much more crucial role at any rate

Point being that united hired someone who was

a) a boyhood liverpool fan
b) relegated Cardiff
c) took a fuck load of cash to win something with Molde
d) managed Man Utd and drove them deeper into the mire

fuck me , why am I even disparaging ole… He’s got to be the man utd manager for life

3 Likes

I looked into this a couple of months ago while defending Origi. Solskjaer started 151 games for United in the PL and came off the bench in 84 matches. More than 90% of his goals came from matches where he was in the starting lineup:

he was Man Utds version of David Fairclough…

1 Like

For Origi his stats are as a sub, 68 appearances and 10 goals in the PL. In all comps he came on as sub 98 times and scored 12 goals.

As a comparison Ole stats as sub, 84 appearances and 17 goals in the PL. in all comps he came on as sub 150 times and scored 28 goals. I don’t like him but he was a good sub.

For me the difference is consistency. Origi only recently scored his 20th PL goal of his career (as sub or starting). That simply has not been enough. Not from a largely free scoring team. He scores important goals but is not reliable. In truth I fear Origi starting the routine PL during AFCON more so than him starting in a must win CL game.

1 Like