The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

It can only be Riise or Leonhardsen that @Magnus is talking about imo.

1 Like

Ummm… I was talking about Riise… have my thick skull misunderstood something? :blush:

Riise is the one who sent out (the same) truly cringeworthy text to at least 10 different famous Norwegian women asking them out after winning the CL in 2005. :joy:

“Good evening… After a lot of calling to all kinds of contacts, I finally got your number. I have always thought you are very charming, cute, sexy, fantastic aura, and last but not least, you seem exciting and challenging;) hope we can get in touch, and I will of course invite you on a romantic dinner for two;) kiss from John Arne Riise xxx”

3 Likes

I respect it. Game recognize game.

9 Likes

Bruce would be both a hilarious appointment and simultaneously a massive upgrade from Solksjaer.

Hard to think of anyone who wouldn’t be an upgrade, honestly.

1 Like

[quote=“Magnus, post:5840, topic:266, full:true”] In Norway he was really popular before he got the MU job, unlike a certain former Liverpool player who is almost universally loathed in my country.
[/quote]

Is that more because of John’s mother and brother than anything he has done himself?

As I remember it there was a bit of controversy about him leaving the country before he did national service and he’d often suffer injuries instead of appearing for Norway. Anyway, he was always a good guy for us so doesn’t matter much what the country of Norway thinks.

Solksjaer also seems like a nice man. That’s probably what makes him a failure to be honest. Too nice to take Fred and McTominay out of the team. Too nice to call out Maguire. Too nice to challenge Ronaldo when he throws a hissy fit for being subbed.

You have to have a ruthless streak to manage at the top level.

1 Like

I think with Ole it was always more about wanting to be popular with the people whose opinion mattered to him, which I think showed his failing to be weakness (and quite possibly insecurity) rather made him being too nice.

2 Likes

What’s the point of being a famous and rich footballer if you can’t pimp yourself out to other rich and famous (and probably gorgeous) women. Nice one John, sorry if you didn’t get lucky though.

2 Likes

That is just a small taste of his long saga in Norwegian public life. Anyway, let us move on :slight_smile:
Maybe we get to chuckle over United tonight as well. They have the same coaching team there still after all.

My wife would often hear me refer to Nunez as “One Knee Nunez”. Fairly self-explanatory. She then asked, “But why do you call Riise “one arm Riise”?”

Me: “No, no. It’s John Arne Riise” :rofl:

2 Likes

Neil Warnock is available and at 72 it could be his last chance.

The Ponchettino one I find odd as I have seen several links all saying the same thing, not variations but the exact same thing like it’s just the one source being leaked several times so I’d be cautious on that.

2 Likes

:joy:

Is it wrong to hope for a pasting today?

3 Likes

I would like to see them go out of the CL so no not wrong.

They let Ole down remember

4 Likes

No, but it just won’t be the same.

4 Likes

What’s 'Arry up to these days?

Being embarrassingly crap on Who wants to be a Millionaire.

Should have phoned his dog.

2 Likes

OMFG, I am in tears.

4 Likes

Since they haven’t appointed anyone as interim manager, would Cristiano be the player-manager for tonight’s game?

Edit: Didn’t know Carrick at the wheel.

1 Like

Carrick fielding a 4-2-3-1, with the 3 being the unloved trio of Martial-de Beek-Sancho. That is actually rather interesting, cutting himself loose from Solskjaer’s judgement on those three it would appear.

3 Likes