The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

He does the tricky stuff really well then drops easy stuff. Pretty much Karius just occasionally saves a shot.

1 Like

United did well tonight. Prompting more quotes re “getting the job done”. Starting to sound the like the Tories #Olexit

1 Like

I don’t think our keeper has been immune to errors like that over the last two seasons mind you…although his distribution is second to none

1 Like

No, but they are few and far between.

Yes and he also likes a good camera save even on easier shots. One thing I’ve noticed with him is that he tends to make even the simple saves look flashy which is why the commentators always cream themselves and go “great save De Gea!” Sometime is it is a genuinely good save but many other times it’s a save that Alisson would make but would make it look routine and the commentators would barely even notice. TBF Ali does get a lot of praise and rightly so but the amount of fanfare he generates per save is far less than De Gea.

3 Likes

De Gea is also a master of the acrobatic was-never-going-to-save, where he jumps like a cat seeing a cucumber to convey the idea of spectacular effort.

6 Likes

As a fully paid up member of the ‘keeper’s union, I’ll always defend a keeper who over dramatises as save. Got a mention in the Warrington Guardian when we won the school’s cup at high school. Was a propper totally un-required leap to the top corner which I could have walked for :wink:

3 Likes

Pickford is worse than De Gea for that.

3 Likes

Fair enough! Ultimately as long as you make the save that is the important thing, I just like that we have a keeper who doesn’t feel the need to. Even his save against Napoli, it wasn’t the reflexes per se, but his anticipation and being in the right spot (equally important IMHO).

They are cut from a similar cloth in that way. To be fair to De Gea (and apropos of nothing) I don’t think he would drop the ball onto Origi’s head in stoppage time. :rofl::sob:

5 Likes

Probably one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen on a footie field.

Tô be fair because his positioning is so bad and he has so such short arms his look far worse.

3 Likes

DDG used to be very good, then his form dropped badly, for 2-3 years. There are signs this season he has got closer to what he was, after a proper challenge from Henderson for the gloves at Old Trafford.

At present that leaves the Prem goalkeeper standings, according to my official record, looking like this:

1. Alisson
  2. Mendy
  3. Ederson
  4. Ramsdale
  5. DDG*

Putting De Gea up this high is being charitable, and the point could be argued. But I do see an uptick in his form.

The llama.

The thing with goalkeepers though is that the law of averages should apply to prove their true worth…
As in someone like Ramsdale… If he has 15 shots to save in a game, ‘law of averages’ means he saves quite a few, but also lets in quite a few…
As in someone like Alisson, with fewer number of shots against each game, all the more important he gets these right each time.
As a Liverpool fan, that save against Napoli will live with me forever for what it actually meant.!

3 Likes

I’d say he’s saved United’s blushes a few times this season as he has done in the past.

That’s not necessarily a statement that he’s the best keeper in the PL, more a sad indictment of the defense in front of him.

2 Likes

Turned into a goalie like Pope (who I actually rate more than anyone below the top 3 in that list.

Surprised Everton or others haven’t made a move for him, he is certainly decent enough for a middle to upper PL club.

Funny how the world’s darling (f*ck knows why) Donny finally started an important game (and in a slightly deeper role in a 4-3-3) and was United’s statistically worst player on the pitch, taken off together with Martial after 66 minutes.

:joy:

2 Likes

I think Everton have two problems. One is that they have a lot of other players/ positions they feel they need to focus on first, secondly T-Rex is currently the England number 1 and it’s rare that clubs in England will drop a player like that especially outside of the top tier.

I think Goldbridge has made similar points about Donny’s performances in the past.

Articles in the Swiss press surfacing now that the mancs have been approaching Lucien Favre and are interested in appointing him. That news has me a bit concerned to be fair, because it would make perfect sense for them at this stage, a bit too much sense for my liking.

He has a lot of experience (not really top club experience to be fair, unless Dortmund counts as a top club) and more importantly, a history of getting ailing clubs back on track by working on a solid foundation for them. With him, they’d maybe not win big trophies short term, but certainly have a good chance of getting back on track in the longer term because he’d likely address the root problems they have right now. Sancho allegedly respects him very much and Favre knows how to use him as it’s him who launched his career.

Also, Favre is a likeable guy in the whole, and I don’t want at all to see him associated with that club. Hopefully these rumours are wrong. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Didn’t really do that at Dortmund, though did he?

3 Likes

That sounds like an incredibly mediocre, underwhelming appointment.

Sign him up.

2 Likes