The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Rangnick good move for them. Helps them now, and longer term, to the degree he helps to shape it with and for a new manager in summer, it will be good for them. Unfortunately.

Build something? 2 years?

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks Ragnick is still dining out on that season with Schalke 10 years ago?

7 Likes

Interesting and tricky at the same time, because he didn’t coach permanently for quite a while and never at the level of a United.

His ideas are pretty strict and he’s also not an easy man to deal with. Probably even more so than van Gaal was. So, I don’t know how this will play out. Potential for something long term, potential for disaster also.

I assume the idea is that he takes over now and remains as some sort of football director when/if they get a long term manager in.

BUT… let’s see if he even lasts these 6 months, because this side was not built in last years to play proactive/pressing football. What’s his staff also, because he was more in a director role lately and United like some of the existing staff.

The best they did was counter attacks and forward transition, they thought too early that the fundamentals are good enough to start adding cherries at the top of that cake.

I think there’s also some sort of myth around Rangnick, the feeling that most fans like him without really knowing his work or how good is he.

They have 2 positions to solve at the club and I don’t know when was the last time a club solved both of these at the same time.

How he does in the short term could decide if he even remains upstairs in a new role and how much do they trust him going forward if that’s the case.

3 Likes

Rangnick?

Didn’t he just take a job in Russia a couple of months back?

3 Likes

Yeah. I reckon staring at that Moscow winter had him in a weak negotiating position, as well. Manchester rain? Ich bin dabei!

1 Like

Tbf, There is nothing against extending the contract later, provided that the next coach agrees with it or that the cooperation between them works etc. You never know. But imo it’s at least a smart first step in the right direction, unfortunately.

Never even heard of Rangnick…but guess he won’t be there long.

1 Like

Fact is I don’t actually think they want to build anything though I won’t spoil anyone pretending this is a new dawn for them.

He is competent he will get them into some stride I assume, though you actually never know. He was in Moscow for a reason after all.

Surprised he hasn’t come in to oversee it with a youthful head coach.

There are still issues with the way this club is set up and I don’t think Rangnick changes that.

4 Likes

Is he one dimensional? Given he is walking into a job where the squad are not set up for how he has his teams play it will be interesting to see how he handles that.

1 Like

Well… let’s see how that pans out for them. Rangnick is very respected in the game, but he doesn’t know England and the PL. It has to be a very steep learning curve for him if he wants to have some joy.

2 Likes

Apparently he labelled Ronaldo too old….5 years ago

If I was Man Utd that would be my first move, how they do that with whatever contract they gave him is anyone’s guess.

Anyhow I kind of expect Woodward to stay on in some capacity until the end of the season.

I am hoping he can make a good start of it, pick up a draw on the weekend.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Rangnick and Ronaldo will be a match made in heaven… eeehm hell :joy::innocent:

This will be fun to watch.

2 Likes

On paper it’s a good appointment, however amidst all the jubilation of United’s fans, I’d have some concerns if it was me:

• hasn’t actually coached for some years
  • guessing will be working with Carrick, Phelan etc as he doesn’t have his own favoured coaches (and it’s doubtful an interim 6-month appointee would have the ability to make such sweeping changes)
  • United have been basically playing the polar opposite of a gegenpress style for years under Ole, and six months doesn’t feel like long enough to turn that around.
  • In fact I’d question whether the players have the requisite fitness or tactical acumen to be able to institute Rangnick’s favoured style any time soon. Remember how our players were blowing out their arses, vomiting on the sidelines etc, when Klopp arrived? Again, six months doesn’t feel like enough time to turn that around.

Where I think he will have the biggest impact is in overseeing the appointment of a permanent coach this summer. People have said Ten Hag now looks likely, but I guess any appotinment there is going to have a massive job on their hands to overhaul what’s wrong at the club.

3 Likes

Klopp had to adapt and is still doing so 6 years after he arrived.

Also Erik Ten Hag is still a jump into the unknown, they apparently approach 5-6 managers in a week all of very different styles, so I’m not sure what there actual approach is.

4 Likes

Woodward’s old job has already been split in two - a football director role and finance/operation role. John Murtagh (sp?) has already been appointed to the football role, with Darren Fletcher underneath him. Unless they are willing to throw out those appointments before they’ve really already begun, then Ralf would be coming in purely from a coaching/managing perspective.

3 Likes

I mean the consulting role he is apparently going to have doesn’t sound like a permanent club appointment, more like someone they ring up every now and then for input.

I think even Manure could build a door in 2 years, that roof though …