The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

It’s unlikely they will anyway, it takes time to get them attuned to that way of playing. Even without having so many players unsuited to it

The proof will be in the pudding. And in this case, the pudding…is a football.

2 Likes

I viewed him as the German Bielsa, Ideologues wholly committed to their style of football, and a love for their methods is borne more from the entertainment that style brings than the honours list it produces. He has acolytes, but the successful ones are less idealistic and instead ally what they can learn from his methods to other elements.

As a purely managerial appointment it makes no sense because the squad is not remotely set up to the play the sort of football he sets out to play. So you think that maybe the appointment is about a more holistic role, more in line with what he’s been doing since leaving Schalke. But it’s difficult to believe that because that would step all over the toes of the structure they have been putting into place the past 18 months or so. IF this was an attempt to rip that up and just bring in the guy to redesign their entire footballing structure then I’d say this has potential. But this version of Utd have made never that sort of brave, cutthroat football focused decision that requires them to acknowledge their own inadequacies. Instead, this looks like a half fitting appointment of a guy with a reputation for one thing, brought in to do another, and almost certain confusion all around of how is actually responsible and empowered in all areas. It’s the administrative equivalent of bringing in Fernandes when you already have a Pogba in your midfield you have to accommodate without a coherent plan for how to make it work.

3 Likes

I think what most people are concerned about is that Rangnick is going to be the Enema of red Mancs and flushed out all the turd.

1 Like

THe problem is that there is 1 turd there been hanging around for 35 years and no enema has been able to flush that one out

2 Likes

He does say other teams :wink:

But it’s difficult to believe that because that would step all over the toes of the structure they have been putting into place the past 18 months or so.

Did they even seriously have a structure though? Their absolute nonsensical scattergun approach to everything was still there in last transfer window. I have a feeling that for a long time now their owners and board have been relying on the “club legends” including Ferguson for their footballing decisions, and those people have just been making mess after mess. You saw people like Neville absolutely 100% certain that someone like Conte would never be appointed at United, and you wonder how was he so sure? Did he directly hear it from Solskjaer or Ferguson? If he has a line to their decisions, then is it possible that him (and other United players close to Ferguson) might actually be having an input in what happens in that club? Obviously Carrick and Fletcher are already there, and they’re the same mould as Neville, harping on and on about United DNA.

I personally think its quite possible that after such a long time, their owners have finally realised that they’ve been taking advice of absolute numpties when it comes to footballing decisions, and their club in truth is a shambles in the way its run, and if it continues the commercial value will keep on decreasing slowly but surely.

Its going to be interesting to see how the powerplays in that club go now after Rangnick comes in. I’d guess he won’t give two shits about Ferguson or the ex-players opinions on anything footballing related, at least in the six months he is as their manager. After that, it depends on what this consultancy role they put him in and if he has any actual authority.

Even how the squad respond to him would depend on how much say he would have after his managerial role ends, because lets face it, as an interim he’s not going to make any huge calls. He’s not going sell players or make any big signings. If its just a token role, I can see some players (especially the big egos) of this United squad downing tools again if they don’t see eye to eye.

Could go very well for United if they do it thoroughly and phase out all the old, stale, guard, or could also crash and burn if ideas and egos don’t match.

He’s clearly on good terms with Jurgen though, and there seems to be a lot of mutual admiration, so I wish him well.

1 Like

He manages United. The man’s a cunt.

6 Likes

It was formally put in place only in March this year, but prior to that his role was in modernizing the academy with a view to producing more home grown talent for the first team. The timing does mean he has to be responsible for Ole’s most recent contract extension, so that’s as good as reason as any to bring in outside eyes to determine if he’s up for the job.

1 Like

Erm…Nah!

3 Likes

Ask yourself if this guy is so good, why did the top teams in Europe ignore him.

2 Likes

Because they already had Klopp?

5 Likes

I do agree. There is no doubting that he has a great knowledge of the game as well as being an innovative thinker. That said, having the ideas and implementing them on the touchline at one of the world’s biggest clubs and in the world’s most competitive league is another thing entirely and something he has never done. Much is made of the Leipzig journey but let’s face the fact that they were the best funded club in any of the divisions that they climbed out of courtesy of their ownership and feeder club model. The job needed to be done, of course, but it was also made possible by towering over the competition.

The way its all being reported now is as if the Zeus of football has now deigned to take up the job. He may have some success but I look at that squad and think he’s never going to be able to implement what he wants with it. De Gea is a line keeper and is never going to be comfortable venturing anywhere close to the D, Maguire and Co are slow, ungainly and pretty awful on the ball let alone being able to compress the space to allow a press further forward.

McFred might actually work for him as they generally run around headless but good luck getting any of Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo doing all that pressing and doing it well and of those Fernandes and Ronaldo are guaranteed a starting place. Rashford and Greenwood are perhaps able to adapt to it but their running stats are pretty poor as well leaving Cavani as the only one who would offer him anything that he’d want straight of the bat. Besides all that, the players know he’s on a 6 month contract with a ‘consultancy role’ thereafter so he’s on a hiding to nothing trying to get players not suited or arsed to start running around cohesively.

He may yet get it done but I don’t think it’s the dead cert so many pundits are making it out to be.

2 Likes

There is too many in that squad that are too ensconced in their comfort zone…
The guy is 63yrs old not 43yrs… Not sure he has the fire in his belly to spark that club into any action. He will pick the team until they go for Poch in the summer… in the meantime he will be a sort of Koeman hatchet man to provide the evidence why they need to clear the deadwood… which as Cilla used to say, ‘surprise surprise’ that is most of them.!

1 Like

Your correct of course but why so much detail?
Why no joke?
Btw I’m kidding to an extent however I do get confused when Manure are taken seriously to the extent of spelling it out for them. :rofl:

A rare clip of Paul Merson talking some sense.

1 Like

Whether he has success or not depends on how the club support him. He has the potential to transition the club towards something more dominant. It’s unlikely (but not impossible) they expect anything from that squad now.

It’s also unlikely he will be expecting the players to adapt to big changes over the next 6 months. He can organise and train them more effectively while assessing them for future consideration.

He loves repeating I really do.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Quiet possible that they want to set a new direction. That actually makes sense but a short term appointment doesn’t quite fit with that model somehow. Maybe they want him to show others in the club how to do certain things?

It just feels a bit of an odd appointment to me, when looked in isolation. Maybe there is a plan? Based on recent evidence you’d have to question that.