The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I’d value the vegan sausage roll higher than Pogba and i dont particularly rate them to be honest. I haven’t tried one with Marmite though. :thinking:

1 Like

Knowing Woodward he will probably end up appointing Alan Pardew.

1 Like

Partridge mate, far more likely.

2 Likes

At some point they have to stumble onto a better manager. Ole was a nice guy, easy choice, former player, bit of a cult hero as a super sub. It all went wrong for them when he overachieved! He got an extended deal, then it fell apart, now it has reverted to the mean.

Which is to say touch and go for top four.

For a club of their stature and wealth it is not where they want to be, so sooner or later a better manager is going to come in. Unfortunately.

At that point we will continue to hope that there’s no real joined up strategy between the suits and the football men, so they continue to underperform.

Have to admit that I started watching his match commentaries just for a laugh when Utd were struggling in games. But I did listen to this after the Spurs game and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. He was thoughtful , considered and insightful , in fact the exact opposite of how he is when commentating.

I’m not really sure which Goldbridge I enjoy more tbh. :thinking:

The manager is only a small part of the issue though. They had Van Gaal and Mourinho prior to Ole and weren’t too much better, so the problem lies either above him or below, or both.

4 Likes

Once upon a time it was called Matt Busby Syndrome,

now you could it call Alex Ferguson syndrome

Is history repeating itself again?

2 Likes

I think it’s why what I said previously, they need someone good in place and put everything into place and restart it. Man Utd are still pretending they are the biggest team in the league but the performances on the pitch are far from it.*

*I know we were piss poor last time out mind, then again we did play Arsenal and Chelsea off the park.

1 Like

14 Likes

They would be insane to get Pochettino, it would be much better for them to cycle through past players. My preference would be someone like Evra, but really anyone would do, Giggs, Ferdinand, Keane, Beckham, Cantona.

11 Likes

I agree. And each of those should get a five year contract and at least a couple of seasons to see if they can ‘turn things around’.

7 Likes

Cantona is an extremely likeable choice,mad as a box of frogs.

12 Likes

They should explore the player manager route as well, while we are at it. Pogba or Lingard would be apt for such obvious progression!

5 Likes

If we want past players, then it needs ones with decent management experience.

Steve Bruce? Mark Hughes? Bryan Robson?

2 Likes

I think it works best if they violently alternative between different philosphies of different managers as well. If they Giggs next to install and old fashion British simplicity to the approach, after which they can turn to Evra to bring in some continental nouse. Maybe then they can go back to Phelan, then Stam. And on and on.

2 Likes

Cantona as manager. I could almost knock one out over that.

2 Likes

Exactly. So are you volunteering to tell ewar woowar?

It would be a joy to see him in that position. A bit as when circus comes into town. The clowns, the jugglers, the beasts… he’d be all of that and more… :rofl:

1 Like

He joined 1/2 season ago and is already annoyed and angry? Sounds like a revolt in the making. How reliable is Duncan Castles?

Sounds like a real team player they’ve got there.

2 Likes