The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Leaving before he gets fired.

Ralf would have his own team and there wouldn’t be any place for Ole’ball there. That said , Man Utd played well even if Fred went down a tad too easily.

There’s quite a load of BS there. Yes, Rangnick might have influenced Klopp with his gegenpressing and likewise Tuchel & Hasenhutl later. But Klopp has evolved his game much more since then and Klopp’s gegenpressing is much more contained and controlled than what Redbull do which is often taken to the extreme.

Rangnick seems to be more of a Biesla (as a manager). He’s more than happy to stay behind the scenes as the director of football or a consultant etc.

He’s barely lasted 2 years as a manager anywhere and the best he could do with a team (with considerable resources) was a third place finish. His job will be more likely to identify the manager to follow and I’d suspect that he’ll be eyeing up the likes of Hasenhutl etc , but as a manager , He’s no where close to Klopp and it’s ridiculous for the author to even say that.

5 Likes

And I’d love to see Man Utd attempting to do the high press against us (even with Rangnick at the helm) at Anfield , Liverpool will decimate them easily.

4 Likes

I think you may have confused the article with another one. It doesn’t mention Klopp by name and he doesn’t say that he is close to his level.

1 Like

It is actually rather remarkable how many ManU fans there are out there who think the game should stop when De Gea decides he wants to have a quick nap.

edit: Saw a mention of this incident. What an odd guy di Canio is/was, obvious sporting ethics, but a fascist sympathizer.

4 Likes

Also Gerrard was actually injured and it was obvious he had gone down with a hamstring injury.

Fred stood on De Gea’s foot and he was up quick enough once the goal had gone in.

The incidents aren’t even comparable.

3 Likes

Cut away the noise. This is a genuinely mouthwatering prospect. Much depends on how much influence he manages to wield. But in terms of scale and methods Rangnick to United is arguably the most radical managerial appointment the Premier League has seen.

This is the quote from that article ?

How is this “arguably the most radical managerial appointment the premier league has seen” when you’ve got Klopp with Liverpool , Guardiola with City , Hasenhutl with Southampton , Potter with Brighton , Biesla with Leeds , Tuchel with Chelsea each with a distinctive vision of the game and style of play.

The Manchester United PR machine is going on overdrive. Rangnick is a coach whose average term at any team is 2 years. He’s an unqualified success as a director of football , but middling as a coach. To herald who essentially is transitioning into a Director of football role at Man Utd as the “most radical managerial appointment” is really reaching for it.

And his only league titles were the ones with Red Bull Salzburg which is by far the most dominant team in the Austrian League.

2 Likes

I think Rafa to Everton is the most radical. A European Cup winning manager managing that teams local rival in the midst of an enmity that’s become increasingly toxic over the last 20 years. Hard to think of another appointment to match it, except maybe Rafa (again) to Chelsea.

Edit: Then there was Agent Harry (Redknapp) who left Portsmouth to take over Southampton, got them relegated and went back to Portsmouth after failing to bring them back up.

3 Likes

What about the American lad Fulham got in who turned out to be shite.

3 Likes

I’d put a vote in for Wenger to Arsenal maybe? He was pretty much unknown before Arsenal took the plunge and it worked quite well despite the creepy fashion sense in coats.

Worth noting that Arteta has an ever so slightly better record than Wenger for his first stint. I guess that shows how the league has changed and the level of domination over the season that is now needed to win it.

I think you have misunderstood Barney’s comments. The points you are making are precisely why he is saying it is the most radical appointment. If you look at how Utd has been run and how it is typically represented visually with what Rangnick may offer then it is probably more radical than any of those other examples.

:exploding_head:

Moreno > Shaw

Thing is stats like that that pump mediocrity up remember the Ole va Jurgen comparisons when it’s obvious who is far better.

Arsenal I think was probably the most radical due to the changes it heralded and he was the first significant overseas coach to manage here I believe.

I think this appointment has potential to pay off well but it has potential to end up a disaster

4 Likes

That’s a good quote. The squad Manure has is definitely, on paper, much better than what Klopp took over. The problem though is that Rodgers squad however bad it was was a lot more balanced and above all easier to work with.
Players like Joe Allen might not of been good enough but they were courageous and hard working. Can anyone say the same for what Manure have now?

4 Likes

First mistake. Next.

4 Likes

I don’t know - does Venglos deserve that honour when he took over Villa in 1990?

Whither Michael Carrick, though. Does he take his undefeated record as a manager into the Championship or perhaps League One? Is that Carrick magic the final piece of the puzzle to get Sunderland or Bolton moving up?

Joking and Roy Keane’s raging aside, it would seem he hasn’t been the problem. They weren’t brilliant in those three games, far from it, but tactically they weren’t self-defeating either. He didn’t ask the McFred midfield to do what it couldn’t do.

1 Like

I’m definitely missing something here!

1 Like

He went with a round neck sweater over his dress shirt instead of a V-neck sweater.

3 Likes