The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

No idea, I don’t really follow MLS.

1 Like

Yeah, before Marsch’s left for Austria Armas was his assistant in NY and then got promoted to be the replacement. It looks very much like Ralf is leaning on people who knows and who have a shared philosophy, but given both Armas’ recent success and that of promotion from within that organization, the jury is very definitely out on the quality of the hire.

1 Like

By the way - Lense is Timo Werners soon to be father in law.

I am sure someone will be able to make a joke with that information.

2 Likes

Love the ‘heart, brains and blood’ except I can not make my mind up which one to pick on 1st. :cry: :rofl:

A first sign of the red mancs finally starting to get their act together? I don’t like this news at all.

1 Like

Rodgers also hired a psychologist during his time here.

3 Likes

Shit players is still shit.

4 Likes

True. Well, that reassures me a bit… :sweat_smile:

That was just so Bodgers could have his own sessions with the shrink…
didn’t believe in himself… Yeah right.! :0)

1 Like

Stephen Peters wasn’t it, one of the best when it comes to Sport. Thing is it can go two ways you can buy into it or not and I don’t think a fair few bought into it. But if this is the first time they’ve done this in 20 years it’s a wonder.

I reckon we’ve probably got 2-3 in the team working without fanfare.

2 Likes

He was hired for one job and one job only, and that was to answer the question:

If I have 3 envelopes and each envelope has a name in it, but the envelopes are never opened, does that mean there are no names in the envelopes?

4 Likes

It’s a bit like Downing Street parties.

2 Likes

It will take Ralf even more time than what it took klopp at liverpool to change the style of play.

Quite a lot of players at liverpool were used to a lot of elements of kloppball. Don’t see that case at man utd.

2 Likes

Yep Robbie, I’d cry too if my kid played for United.

4 Likes

Completely agree with this. Rodgers left Klopp a squad that might have been lacking, but were at least used to running about.

That United squad needs gutting. Aside from a young, promising frontline there is nothing that can be salvaged.

It’s why I find the Rangnick appointment strange. He is diametrically opposed to that squad and he only has six months to work with them. Unless they have written off this season and want him to get a direct experience of the squad before he starts canning them next year -but that would indicate a level of long term thinking I don’t think they are capable of.

1 Like

Been saying similar myself. I don’t see how this benefits them unless they are thinking down the line, but why only a 6 month contract? Someone else lined up in the Summer?

Can’t remember who said it but it almost stinks of United wanting a German manager as well.

I think it is about degrees of improvement. Under Solksjaer they were a shambles, much less than the sum of their parts.

Rangnick comes in, presumably to start to turn it in the direction of the sort of football the leading German managers play. While they don’t have all the component parts to execute optimally at this stage, it’s not hard to imagine an improvement.

To what degree? Probably 4th spot, and a pattern starting to emerge. And along the way a close up assessment of how to shape the squad moving forward, added professionalism, and in summer a new manager to come in who fits well with the new style.

Can’t stand them, but the early signs point to some sort of thought emerging, as they realize money and the name Man Utd is not enough to trample all before them, and they actually need a plan.

1 Like

When McLaren went to United in 99 he brought with him a very well regarded guy called Bill Beswick. This was during the period that was probably the height of the Fergie era, including winning the treble, and many of the players speaks very positively about his impact. He seemed to be more associated with McLaren rather than Fergie so he wasnt retained when McLaren moved on.

3 Likes

It does seem a long term view of appointing rangnick as somewhat of a director of football (even if they say that he will be as a consultant )

6 months for rangnick to see the squad , decide how many can play his vision of football. Get one of the coaches who worked under him (while he was the DoF at redbull).

2 Likes

That’s basically Sancho and Greenwood.

1 Like