The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Well, to be fair, Young Boys weren’t that young either.

1 Like

Get off the stage!!!

1 Like

They were embarrassed by the Tevez stunt City pulled and ever since they have looked locked in a perpetual play ground battle of trying to score points in that way. They lost out on Sancho when he signed for city as a kid, which is a huge kick in the bollocks for a club who saw itself as a great developer of kids. They lost out on him again when he went to Dortmund, and their continued pursuit of him, while somewhat justified from a footballing perspective, always seemed as much as about showing everyone they could get their man. They’re trying to put PR points on the board, not points on the table.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t put it as harsh as that but think some of his injuries have hampered his development as a footballer

He will be best served going to a smaller club like Southampton and get some good game time.

Again, people lionize him too much. Last couple of seasons he’s looked a very lazy player most matches, and has also been very selfish from what I’ve seen. Granted, I don’t watch a ton of United matches, but I’ve never understood why people are insistant on not objectively rating him and only leaning on his early promise.

Rashford has strong technique, and is a good natural athlete. He should have left for somewhere that would develop him years ago - the lazy and selfish is absolutely right, but that is at the heart of the rot at ManU. That has been essentially rewarded in their forwards in recent years. Look at Ronaldo’s ‘second coming’, every ManU fan I know is thrilled with his goals, and seems incapable of noticing that good sides can dominate play against them with a striker who is just sitting petulantly on the outside shoulder of a defender waiting for the ball.

The question with Rashford is whether or not he is too far gone.

4 Likes

Are you hinting that Man Utd could almost replicate Rafa’s tactics with Ronaldo (see Torres), Bruno (Gerrard-lite) and a couple of smart buys in midfield?

Hopefully that tactic is an outdated one…

1 Like

You know what? That’s fair.

3 Likes

I think there are questions about whether this version of Ronaldo would be able to effectively play the Torres role, but the point was more one to not assume the way a player has played for a team is all he’s capable of RE pressing.

1 Like

If Rashford and Greenwood had broken through at Liverpool under Klopp instead of the mess at United, they’d probably both be worldies by now.

6 Likes

For Rashford I think it’s also worth pointing out that he hasnt been fit for about 18 months.

But there is also that issue of getting an enormous contract well above his level of production, because he was more important to Utd as an entity than a player at that stage of his career. It can be difficult to convince a 22 year old they have lots of things to work on when he grosses damn near a million quid a month.

9 Likes

Back on the stage?

1 Like

@Klopptimist saw him at a food bank once… :grimacing:

Dunno why people take the piss out of him for raising awareness for kid school meals and the like.

By all means he hasn’t looked great for a year or two now but I would say something matters more and it’s not like the likes of Pogba have put in anything better in that time and all he does is pose with Nike or Adidas.

5 Likes

Better spending his time doing that than appearing in dog shit JD sports adverts.

Yes YOU Trent!!!

For the record I was not taking the piss out of Rashford. What he has done is incredible.

But he’s certainly been to food banks and maybe he drives a BMW?

1 Like

Or doing Braun shaving ads during a game :rofl:

1 Like

I have a lot of sympathy for Rashford. He has been pushed too hard physically and probably given very little quality coaching. Given his social campaigning I would have thought his self awareness wouldn’t be an issue?

Same mistake again. Next.

:joy:

Maybe he just hasn’t got the hang of which way round his ‘v’ neck should be worn…! :joy: