The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

You might be surprised who I have seen dropping off and not a few packs of cornflakes either.

1 Like

Completely agree. And I dont mean to demean him with my comment, but it is a reality that so much money at such an early age, after having achieved so little in real terms, can shift your focus. Especially when professionally things arent actually that good.

1 Like

The problem with Rashford is also that his package at United is so high that no club which would otherwise give him game time would be able to take him.

He’s tied down to United for much of his prime years because of the contract. And by the time he gets out of the contract , his development would have been stunted.

Nothing wrong with BMWs :grimacing:

Ralf’s not going to be trying convince Pogba to stay. That solves one major problem for them straightaway.

1 Like

Rashford has little game intelligence. He’s a counter attacking player, only doing well when lots of space is left in behind. That’s fine when United are poor and teams try to play against them, less so if you want to be competing with us and City to win trophies. It’s similar to Werner, who also can’t get in a Chelsea team going for the title. You need to have sharper movement when space is limited like Mane, Jota and Salah do. And you need to make better decisions. He’ll have the odd game like PSG where he can use his incredible pace, decent skill and technique when space is everywhere, but that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Rashford didn’t have the same sort of reputation as a Greenwood when coming through United’s academy. I think this is likely an issue that’s been evident for years and something he’s struggled to improve on. I’m not sure it’s accurate to speculate that he’d have developed more elsewhere, he hasn’t shown much to me to suggest that would be true. Some players are just limited by their understanding of the game.

5 Likes

That may well be true but when your early career chances coincide with Mourinho and Ole as your manager there’s little hope for you. I’d even argue Greenwood should be a little further down the road than he should be.

As most of his teams play in their own half defending…
Mourinho’s ideal player is someone that can score from the half-way line…
Rashford to me has not developed a jot since he burst onto the scene

There’s also good argument to say those managers set up in a way that was beneficial to Rashford, playing to his strengths.

Not every young player needs a world class coach to develop them into something special, in fact very few have that luxury. I’m not convinced Souness and Evans were the reason Mcmanaman, Fowler and Owen were so good.

4 Likes

Extremely fair points but I would counter that the top level game today has become very tactical and I don’t care who you are, at 21 you’re pretty raw. There’s no way you’re developing any tactical nous from Ole who doesn’t have any himself or Mourinho who can’t be asked to actually develop anyone

1 Like

No there isn’t, just the people who drive them.

2 Likes

Com’on Norwich!

I would be very surprised indeed if Utd end up fourth.

They are deadset mid-table dross.

2 Likes

As I said this period of matches are probably against the worst sides currently though hopefully Brentford do the turning up against the big name teams

Are they really playing with a 4-2-2-2??? :joy:

I think we did when Klopp took over too didn’t we?

Norwich had plenty of opportunities to get something from that game.

1 Like

Kind of an embarrassing win, really. Look at those stats against the easiest team in the league to score against. Norwich won eight corners and put as many shots on goal as United did.

4 Likes
1 Like

Yeah.

Rangnick has history with that formation. You don’t see it often in football. It was also Manuel Pellegrini’s favourite formation.

Gets bad rep among fans, but doesn’t mean it can’t be a functional formation, it’s just a number, nothing else. Down to players and execution at the end of the day.

2 Likes