The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I haven’t seen yesterday’s game but I can’t honestly see what he’s done. That’s not good for any new coach. You expect visible changes.

You won’t always get to see visible changes at the beginning though because it depends on the situation at the club - what players are there, fitness levels, familiarity with tactical systems and formations. Ole/Utd have failed to have any of that in place so Rangnick has to start from scratch.

Yes but Ragnik is recognised as having a completely different style of football to Ole and Mourinho. And yet I see nothing of that difference.

3 Likes

He doesn’t have the players who can adapt to his system. This is a man utd squad which is comprised of signings from lvg , jose , ole era plus the odd fergy leftover in phil jones.

There would be no chance for rangnick to even begin to implement. There were some times during the man utd game where you feel that they are pressing coherently and trying to hurry the opposition. That period lasts about 20 minutes each game before they run out of steam and revert to ole ball

3 Likes

Weirdly enough, Ole had a major impact when he came although that might have just been the ‘anyone but Mourinho’ glee and bounce we’ve become accustomed to over the years.

… and it would be a lot more if not for de Gea. He’s been their best player this year.

Long may this continue.

Ronaldo sitting at home last night thinking about his next club next summer if United fail to get top 4.

:joy:

3 Likes

You don’t switch to that style of football midseason without players who can play it or the fitness required to maintain it.

3 Likes

I’m not so sure he doesn’t. Okay, he doesn’t have alot of those players Tbf but he does have some; Shaw, Varana and Lindelhof are front foot players and Wan-Bissaka can run around a bit if asked. McFred can put in a shift and Sancho and Cavani are able to do what he wants. He has gaps in the squad that can do it, yes, but he also has players who can. Fitness is an issue but I remember Lallana, upon being subbed, all but collapsing into Klopp in his first game such was what was asked of him.

If Ralfie wants intensity then there are no excuses, really, especially as he he’s moving upstairs or out the door in 4 months time. That might actually be more of a problem than they think it is and why a marked difference isn’t immediately evident i.e. Why work my socks off for this guy when he isn’t even going to be here next season?

1 Like

He did on paper but if you go back you’ll see tons of comments about how bad they were still playing but, with the few exceptions, scraping wins on a comparatively easy run of fixtures. His positive periods were always more of a mirage than anything real you could identify in terms of tactics, approach or performances.

The thing Id be fuming about yesterday as a Utd fan was how bad that equalizer was to concede. How can there have been that much room in the box to attack? Utd were leading but under the cosh. At what point do you just knuck down and comit to seeing the game out. If that goal was going to be scored, it should have Utd who scored it against a villa team leaving gaps from chasing the game.

2 Likes

He’s definitely trying to get them to press properly, it just isn’t going very well and I think you identify a key issue with it. Liverpool players were faced with the prospect of giving everything they had to adapt to the new approach or leave. Utd players can possibly see a middle ground of doing their own thing and then expecting their status and reputation allowing them to start again in 6 months with the new manager.

3 Likes

Kumba-fuckin-ya

3 Likes

As I have said we’ve seen two games against Villa home and away under two new managers and at the moment Villa look miles better.

3 Likes

Next summer we are going to need to chase out toxic players and replace them. Problem is no one will want to pay for them and we will need the Glazers to fund a major rebuild, which they won’t, so if we think this season is bad then watch out for next season because of we appoint a competent manager he will demand greater effort levels from these lazy bastards and they will bury him too.

Does anyone else find the above incredibly arousing??

2 Likes

You know me too well…

I think you can also add three other things to this. Firstly, Edwards and his crew were already working on identifying players with the right attitude to sign. Secondly, under Brendan, pressing and so fitness had been a key component of our play for a while. Although this wasn’t as well organised as it was to become under Klopp, it doesn’t sound as bad as the set up at Utd under Ole. And, finally, Klopp came with a reputation and a personality that made it easier for players to warm to than Rangnick, who comes across almost like a professor.

1 Like

Well, he has some players who can run, but they don’t appear to do the other stuff. Shaw has a reputation for being a bit thick, so I’m not sure how much coaching it will need to improve the tactical side of his game. Wan Bissaka likewise can run but his forward play is dire, and his defensive play is based around throwing himself into tackles. Varane has been injured frequently, and Lindelof doesn’t inspire when he plays. Then there is the obvious issues around their forward line and midfield.

2 Likes

So, Ragnick claims Martial refused to play and Martial is basically calling him a liar. I know who I believe, they should stop paying Martial, surely he’s in breach of contract.

1 Like

I had no idea this existed…

4 Likes