The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

10 Likes

Well, that should keep Ole at the wheel for a while longer.

1 Like

PSG job… done.
#Keeping_Ole_IN

we’ll revisit this next season… move along now.

1 Like

PSG. Keeping Ole in his job since 2018.

Keep it up lads.

8 Likes

Life insurances - Lewandowski at Bayern and Penalties for ManU.

How many did they have since the start of the year? Feels like they could break some record with those numbers.

1 Like

I do get that we like to take the mickey but people forget it took Ferguson 7 seasons to win the Premiership and Shankly 3 seasons to even get out of the second division. In these keyboard warrior days of demanding instant success, both would have been out the door after a season. In our own manager’s early days I heard regular demands on Radio Merseyside phone ins after certain games that he be sacked.

It is one thing (amongst many others) about the modern game that I find deeply depressing.

8 Likes

I agree, with the general point, but dont think it applies to Ole. Applying that idea to him as a reason to give him time is an application of the Thierry Henry fallacy. Signings that struggle to get off to a good start should not be assumed to eventually work out because Henry struggled initially. Your hope and expectation should be based on whether the player is giving you any reason to expect that it will improve.

If you look at those criticisms of Klopp in the first couple of years, you’d have people saying “Klopp only has only won the same number of points as Rodgers did after this many games”, but it very clear what Klopp was trying to do and that progress had been made to that end. It was a very reasonable position to expect that things would continue to improve, in part because of the eye test and in part because it’s Jurgen Fucking Klopp. When you look at Ole, has he shown anything to provide the same qualitative reason to back him? Is there any reason to expect it to get better based on what we’ve seen, other than them spending another 200 million quid and actually getting it right? I don’t see it.

10 Likes

Good points both.

I guess time will tell with Ole. I am not so convinced that it will end badly for him. I think he is a decent guy but being decent doesn’t mean anything of course.

Maybe you can’t recall but Ferguson was on his last legs at United and he was apparently getting sacked in the morning but a goal by Mark Robins earned him a reprieve.

From the BBC

January 1990, a large part of United’s supporters wanted Ferguson (the knighthood was another nine years away) out of the club.

United had lost at home to Crystal Palace the previous month, prompting a banner in the Stretford End that accused Ferguson of presiding over “three years of excuses” at Old Trafford.

Defeat away to an in-form Forest in the FA Cup seemed a distinct possibility - and the rumour was such a result would be Ferguson’s last in charge.

Whether he would have survived remains one of football’s great imponderables because instead Mark Robins nodded in the only goal of the game.

United went on to lift the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1-0 in a final replay. It was the first of 38 trophies, including 13 Premier League and two Champions League titles, that followed in Ferguson’s glorious 26-year reign.

I’m all for Ole being there for as long as Fergie was,they should definitely stick with him.

7 Likes

Isn’t it just down to Ole towing the party line? I can’t imagine he’s going to the likes of Woodward and the Glazers stating his players are shit and he needs investment. They are probably still licking their wounds from dealing with Jose.

2 Likes

Manchester United’s debt has soared to £474.1 million in their most recent accounts, reports Laurie Whitwell. The financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic means their debt has grown from £270.5 million by 133 per cent, while they also posted a £23.2 million loss over the 2019-20 season. And revenue has also fallen by 19 per cent to £509 million.

2 Likes

Thing is, if United’s debt has grown from £270.5m to £474.1m it hasn’t grown by 133%. It’s grown by 75.27%? Still massive, of course, but it hasn’t more than doubled.

Have they mixed up the numbers? Has it grown by £270.5m rather than from £270.5m? A growth in debt of £270.5m to £474.1m would be a 133% increase.

1 Like

I remember it very well, but I think the key thing about the story is that it is based on unfounded assumptions that those in the club were responsive to the growing unrest among the fans. There is very credible reporting, and stuff that I have had personally confirmed for however little that means to anyone else :rofl:, that the powers that be were absolutely unmoved by that fan sentiment. Fergie, Charlton and Edwards were on completely the same page as to what the club needed to do and internally they were clear that they were moving in that direction.

It’s become this “fact” that the Robbins goal saved his job, but that is based more on it being a great story than it being based on solid reporting. As to what @rupzzz said, I think it is important to distinguish his liklihood of leading them to significant improvement vs his short term risk of removal. I do think his willingness to toe the party line makes his job safer than his performances justify, and so I am not saying I think he is in impending danger. I am just saying I see no evidence that he is on to anything that will result in significant improvement. And so because of that I dont think that parallels tapply to the success stories of people like Fergie, Klopp, Henry, De Gea etc, people who went on to prove themselves after having very public doubts expressed about them.

1 Like

I love the derision on the Caf for JK’s 60min triple sub.

The three players we brought on are better than their first choice front three.

5 Likes

…and they realized it only yesterday :open_mouth:

1 Like

Quotes please.

Do your job man

5 Likes

Here are some quotes that tickle my fancy, mainly because they point to the fact that their squad is shit.

who needs sancho when you can start James in big games?

Daniel fecking James and the corpse of Juan Mata, why?

1 Like

You’re doing a decent job at last.

I thought Dan James was a decent signing / player when he first arrived. Has he been touched by the Pogba’s?

2 Likes

Must have. He is being universally slated tonight.

1 Like