The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Spent his time in the shadow of Messi, Messi leaves, he ends up back in Messis shadow.

2 Likes

It needs shutting down for the good of humanity.

Just looking on the Greenwood hashtag. It’s absolutely vile.

3 Likes

Still a better option than playing at Old Toilet Bowl

I live directly over road from them wouldn’t consider them as friends but have always been friendly people.

In context of this week this post has new meaning :grimacing:

1 Like

That club has rotted from the inside. At some point, all those sponsors just won’t want to be associated with losing in the Europa League and being misogynist dickheads.

10 Likes

It’s amazing when you look how much emphasis Klopp and Liverpool put on the character of a player, whether it’s an existing player or someone that we are interested in. Jurgen even praising players like Rashford for what he has done in the community, while Ole recommends he should “focus on football”. I think this sums up one of the main differences between the clubs.

10 Likes

Just catching up on all this now. Very unpleasant business. I saw the images of the girl, apparently beaten up, but didn’t catch the audio of the alleged rape.

If it is all true, it is over for him.

As for the girl going to social media, it seems like this is the world we live in. She has exposed him, bravely, after suffering goodness knows how much abuse and over how long. So, backed into a corner she put it out there for the world to see.

Ideally you want these things going to the police, but perhaps she feared being shut down by expensive lawyers while his career goes on relatively untouched.

Anyway, this needs to run its course, but if he is guilty he needs to do jail time, and I think his very promising career is toast.

As for things on our side, I couldn’t be happier with Klopp. He is world class at what he does, but beyond that he is a good man. He is a father figure to his players, and character is so important. I am not so naive to imagine trouble won’t one day find it’s way to our team, but it seems unlikely at this time. I love that we have lots of stars who are humble, unassuming religious types, or family types - married, happy, kiddos, round at each other’s home for meals and so on… it just seems wholesome. I love Salah and Mane for this, and also our group of Brazilians. We have a special culture and Klopp deserves a lot of credit for that.

Gutted to see this news with Greenwood’s girlfriend. I hope she is now safe, protected, and getting the advice she needs to navigate such a high profile and ugly spectacle.

And finally, as a man, I feel anger seeing those images. I hope justice is done.

12 Likes

I think even before Klopp , even in the Dalglish/Rodgers years , (excepting Flanagan, we’ve never had problem makers in the dressing room (character wise). And the club never closed ranks around Flanagan (whose crime while reprehensible is far lower than what this scum has done)

1 Like

Yeah , the sponsors won’t mind that much supporting a middling team with the fanbase that United has. But anything like this will lead to mass walkouts , especially if it is later proven that United did have knowledge of Greenwood’s transgressions and kept it quiet etc.

For the footballing aspects (albiet it’s not that important but hey, this is a football forum), This has come at a very inopportune time especially with Martial , Diallo , VDB being moved on. They might have to stop Lingard from moving if only to ensure that they have enough attacking players present. Amazing how a team with a surplus of attackers becomes a team which potentially doesn’t have enough numbers now. Elanga might get more matches now but Cavani, Ronaldo, Rashford , Elanga , Sancho … is not a team which has enough numbers especially with Sancho lacking confidence and form. Rashford patchy , Ronaldo & Cavani on their last legs… and then Elanga who’s a rookie.

Think Dembele’s rejected them and is opting for PSG. Maybe he figures he’ll thrive in the french league more especially with Mbappe seemingly on his way out.

United really don’t have time to find an attacking player now , Guess they’ll stick with Lingard and resign themselves to losing him on a free come season end. I’m not sure if they have any others who are coming in from the youth brigade (who aren’t already loaned out).

As for the financial implications , I’m sure there are clauses in Greenwood’s contract which would enable United to not pay money in case if/when he’s found guilty.

1 Like

Over at Redcafe , they seem to be hyping up Pellestri. But for a winger, he hasn’t scored any goals at Alaves so far and those are quite a lot of appearances made by him. Diallo is one other who seems to be getting the hype. But still far too early to get on the hype-train. But both in any case are on loan and are more of finding a fix for next season.

Seems rather like clutching at straws. Their footballing future projections looked at keeping Greenwood as their main attacker and it’s now taken a huge hit.

2 Likes

According to Transfermarkt Greenwood is valued €50m. If they would have been open to sell him in the past it might have been able to generate them up to €80m in transfer fee.

That’s just gone now if they have to release him.

Surely that will have an impact on their books / stock / shares?!

It’s like a company that owns a skyscraper which burns down but there is no insurance that covers up for this.

1 Like

Christ football has some issues

3 Likes

True. He would have generated that money at the very least if he was in a position that he could be sold. But that’s off the table and at any rate, Greenwood wouldnt be on the “sell list” if this incident hadn’t come about.

As of now, If found guilty by law, United can then declare the contract void and stop paying Greenwood’s weekly salary if/when he’s found guilty. They need to continue to pay the salary till then.

This will in all likelihood cost United a lot of money though , but those are non-measurable.

2 Likes

In the worst case that Greenwood is able to come out (due to the victim refusing to give testimony etc) , He’ll have damaged his resale value and United would be under pressure to get him off the books or risk Sponsors walking off and breaking their contract. That will lead to a very reduced fee.

Either way, this is a no-win situation for Manchester United.

2 Likes

Everyone saying this but I’m not convinced. He is a very good goal scorer which means he can make money. Sadly there will always be people/clubs where this is more important. The current Newcastle owners have presided over abuse and subjugation of thousands of women and no one seems to give a shit

8 Likes

Not just football, but society as well. There are a lot of posters on Social media supporting Greenwood. Even the girl’s own Dad was somewhat supportive of Greenwood in a statement to the press. If what has ‘allegedly’ happened to the girl happened to a female member of my family, the only statements I’d be making would be to the police, under caution in response to a serious assault charge.

10 Likes

While I agree. It might be a case of too much too soon for the Saudi owners to sanction a move for someone like Greenwood. Even if they personally don’t care about what he has done , There’s still the whole optics and the PR backlash that they have to deal with (at present) as a result of the sportwashing. They’ll definitely be not looking at trying to make an offer for Greenwood at this point of time. If it’s 3-4 years later and public rage has lessened , They might take the risk , but not now.

2 Likes

This can’t be true, surely?

It’s only going to invite more abuse coming her way.