The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

He has been treated absolutely terribly on every level by pretty much every level of the Utd organization. He was refused a move in the summer because his form over the previous half season made Ole be unwilling to let him go and resulted in promises of opportunities. And then they didnt come. And after another half season of never playing, under two managers, they still fuck him over.

2 Likes

I don’t, really. He could’ve went last summer after a top half a season at West Ham, but didn’t want to. Did he really expect he would play serious minutes? I didn’t think that for one second. Now, he didn’t want to drop down to Newcastle’s level and West Ham actually surprised me that they wanted him back (with the competition they have now in Lingard’s position or positions, it’s great to see Lanzini fit and playing well again).

Could it be that he’s just not that good? He got great opportunities and new contracts around Mourinho’s time. Tried to act as the more hard working right sided attacking player. Numbers weren’t enough. I think he’s a good player when he’s fit, willing and ready, but not one who will be part of carrying United back where they need to be and remain there (like we’ve seen, around the time when they finished second and it was expected of them to build on that and get closer to City, which they didn’t).

It was the club that blocked moves in both the summer and in this window.

Lingard is a decent enough backup for a top 4 team even if not the caliber needed for Liverpool / City.

He does the hardwork , isn’t missing on the pitch and his link up play is decent… It’s something that Man Utd can use but they screwed the pooch hard on this one.

I dont think anyone is saying he is, but it is instructive that Ole wouldn’t let him go when he had already gone out on loan and they had signed Sancho.

1 Like

Pretty sure that last summer it was more his choice and this January it was both the player (not willing to drop down to Newcastle, but willing to West Ham) and the club (not willing to sell him to West Ham). But he’ll get his move wherever next summer.

1 Like

Accepting that reporting is influenced by spin and the desire to push narratives but all the reporting I have read have placed the blame on the club, for both windows. This window it was widely reported he got agreement from Ralf to allow him to move to Newcastle only for those above Ralf to step in and block it.

3 Likes

Pesronally, I think all the debate about whether Rangnick is in the dugout following the summer is made even more hilarious by the fact that they could have had Conte if they weren’t so inept…now, at “best” they get Pochettino (still a big IF, although PSG’s cup exit might help). Still, seems very rudderless.

Has Woodward left the club today ?

1 Like

The club probably didn’t want him to strengthen a fellow UCL/Europa league contender.

1 Like

The funny thing is, I’ve heard United refuse to sanction a move since they didn’t want to strengthen a title rival — Rooney to Chelsea in 2013 springs to mind and then they went and poached Mata that winter (from that direct rival). I get that you don’t sell your best players to your rivals, but funny to think that they haven’t really made any progress in the time since…and crazy to think they’re at the point where they’re worried about selling a (somewhat) fringe player to a top 4 competitor.

Still can’t get over Mata. Yes, as a true #10, he probably would have struggled somewhat with most teams moving away from them, but the guy was in the PFA TOTY at Chelsea in 2012-13 and then his career pretty much regressed from there…he’s been at United for eight years and has one each of the FA Cup, League Cup, and UEL. Would almost feel bad for him but for his brace at Anfield (thankfully he wasn’t on penalty duty in stoppage time)…still, pretty much the highlight of his United career.

To @Limiescouse’s excellent points in this thread - you’d have to think that young/talented players are going to look at how the likes of Lingard and DVB have been treated by United over the last couple of years and stay clear rather than risk the kind of purgatory those two have gone through. How must someone like VDB feel watching fucking McFred every week and realizing that he can’t get picked ahead of them for a game.

Many posters on’t caf are beginning to realize that this might only be the beginning for United’s steep downward trajectory. Goldbridge on his deadline day livestream yesterday made multiple proclamations that next season is going to be much much worse for them than this season.

Strap in (or on) boys. It’s gonna be a hell of a fun ride…

4 Likes

Chelsea wwere more than willing to let Mata leave though. He wasn’t being used by Jose who wanted more hardworking midfielders like Oscar playing. Where Mata lost the prime was Jose coming in to replace LVG.

I like Mata. Him, Rashford are probably the only Man Utd players I can say that about though.

I just don’t see why Man Utd ever wanted VDB in the first place. The position he likes to play at, There are plenty or were plenty of options for Man Utd there. He would have been better served going to a club where there was a definite system and requirement for a player of his characteristics. Same with Sancho and other disasters

This plays part of the story for sure.

Lingard’s come through the United system and has never come out and openly said he wants to move, likely out of respect and the fact he’s paid well. But when he does leave in the summer, I suspect he will be a bit more open.

On his quality, he’s a good squad player for a top 4 team, but could be playing in a team like Leicester or West Ham regularly if he can stay fit. He wanted the Newcastle move.

1 Like

With respect to Lingard , his ill advised extra football activities (J-Lingz perfume etc etc) did feed into the narrative that he wasn’t serious about football. Add that to his horror season in Man Utd where he didn’t score a goal for quite a while (till the last day of the season)

Not sure he can make Leicester’s midfield considering they’ve got Barnes, Maddison, Tielemens etc etc there. Leicester do have a very talented unit. Lingard at best would be a 2nd Line.

But West Ham, Brighton , Arsenal , Tottenham … I’d see him making a lot more appearances there.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like