The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Zoom or Teams this time?

Teams please. My Zoom account got hacked.

Yeah Real Madrid will spend big next summer to “save football”

1 Like

I’d rather have Keita.

3 Likes

Go and give your head a wobble.

Nah, he has obvious talent, he showed it at Juve and for the France national team, and very occasionally for United. Just needs the right set-up, and we know Klopp and Ljinders would be able to get the best out of him. We’re going to need a top box-to-box CM in the next year or two, Hendo is declining fast, Naby can’t be relied upon, and I think we only have one more season of Thiago, right?

For the record, Pogba is not who i’d go for (Feels like Harvey and Fabio will feature heavily), but it’s an area of need for sure.

Not disputing the fact that we’ll need some midfield upgrades soon but I honestly don’t see Pogba as a talent. He’s not even one of those flawed genius types either for me. He’s a passenger that happens to be able to kick a ball quite well. For me a talented player has it upstairs as well in his toes. I only see less than half the package.

If he were anywhere decent he’d be running that midfield at United. There’s good players in their front line that he should be feeding but he does nothing of the sort, not even against those that are struggling in the PL.

1 Like

The thing about Pogba is that people keep talking about him the way they did a decade ago, all of those positive attributes. But he is 28, he’ll be 29 in a month. He should be at his peak, but the mental elements of his game don’t appear to have progressed at all, and quite possibly have regressed. His physical capabilities will begin to decline with a year or so, year 1 of his next contract.

7 Likes

yeah that’s fair

He put his statement out in the hope the Cheaters are listening…

Im with you on this.

It just shows you what the wrong move can do to your career. Pogba is a very talented midfielder, a world class one at his best. Problem being not he’s not a 6 in a double pivot like United has continually deployed him as. I think in a 3 man set up, he can really shine. Combine that with a toxic dressing room atmosphere at United and a revolving door at manager just never really given an opportunity to put it together. He will never end up here, but I think the idea that he’s toxic in a dressing room is pretty wide of the mark.

But one disclaimer, I am enjoying a beverage watching the game

I’m not even looking at his whinges and other off field behaviour.

If you are just looking at his onfield , He’s someone who isn’t industrious enough to be a #8 , Doesn’t defend well enough to be a #6. Also the fact that his tackling is rash and is always a candidate for a yellow card. All he has is his ability to make a good pass. That’s not enough nowadays for a modern football team.

Maybe a change of team and league will get Pogba some more time on the ball which can play to his strength. As it happens in the premier league(unless you are a side like Man City and most of the opposition don’t harry you) , you are hardly given any time on the ball to pick and choose your moment.

He might be Man Utd’s best midfielder but when your competition is a geriatric Matic , Fred and fucking McTominay, That really doesn’t mean much does it.

This is on him as purely a footballer.

3 Likes

See I have trouble with the idea he isn’t good enough or industrious as a 8. I think he is. As long as it’s a 3 man midfield. When they started playing him in their LAM/LM role he produced a bit before getting injured. He definitely needs to find a team with a monster of a 6 and someone that plays at least a 3 man midfield.

Personally reminds me a bit of Kroos. Now Kroos has obviously had the better career but their defensive attributes remind me of one another. I think in that kind of set up pogba could be useful.

Either way, before I get slammed for defending pogba I am going to gracefully retire and am looking forward to the next shitshow also known as the United midfield :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Laziest professional athlete I have ever seen.

Honestly don’t know if even JK could get that out of him.

1 Like

Personally think Shaq (Lakers Basketball not our beloved power cube) could give him a run for his
Money

No way. O’Neal ran the floor remarkably well for a big man in the first stage of his career. At 28 he was still moving up and down the floor. Pogba has been disinterested some of the time his entire life.

2 Likes

Neck and neck with Ozil.

2 Likes

I was more saying along the lines of how good he could’ve been vs how good he was. One of the best ever, could’ve easily been the best ever if he had Kobe’s work effort.

Doesnt speak much when people say that he plays well for France. Kante is a one man midfield army and he would make anyone who plays alongside him look 3x better.

The gap between what O’Neal might have been and what he achieved might have been significant. But he still won a lot by NBA standards.

What is Pogba going to have at the end of his career? Some cups, but the height would be Serie A titles (in an era where that was basically automatic for Juve) and a singular highlight, a World Cup medal. The sum of his accomplishments in the English game will be a league cup and a Europa League win, which is pretty damned close to stagnation in the peak years of his career. The years don’t line up perfectly, but he really is the epitome player of ManU in the post-Ferguson era.

Shaq probably should have learned to shoot a damn free throw though.

3 Likes